Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Well, here we go again.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
As I may have mentioned back when they hired me, my current employers are (even after several years) a web startup.  They are periodically given infusions of cash by their parent company as they approach profitability.  (And they are approaching profitability; break-even and beyond was forecast for this quarter.)  However, for reasons best known to them, the parent company stopped funding them today.  And although on the books the company is doing well, this end to funding means they are now dramatically cash-short.  So much so that they had to immediately lay off a third of their staff in order to be able to pay the rest.
So as of about 4:30 this afternoon, EDT, they are now my former employers, and I'm back on the market.
However, things are a lot better than they were in 2009.  And unlike then, I have been getting unsolicited emails from headhunters about very nicely-paying job openings for months now.  And I have an entire job search mechanism in place that I've successfully employed twice in the past few years.  I think I'll be okay, and employed again far more quickly than I was last time.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Ouch! Sorry that happened to you, Bob. But it's good to know you've got fail-safe plans in place.

*two thumbs up*
I can't really improve on what Pyeknu said, so I'll just second it.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Why do I suspect the funding from the parent company stopped because the startup was forecast to break even this quarter?

Here's hoping this is an unplanned week-off, not a long-term search.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
The good news is that the economy is picking up, so the job turnaround time should be shorter and head hunters had been sniffing.
I too had been looking around. The great news for working for Uncle Sam, once you're in the system, you have access to positions only current employees can get. I'm thinking of moving up the chain or moving back to California.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Well that is a unmitigated bucket of unexpected suck.  I hope the headhunters come through for you.
Thanks everyone. I spent today whipping my resume back into shape; tomorrow I start the calls and the websites and everything. Wish me luck.
-- Bob
---------
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Thanks everyone. I spent today whipping my resume back into shape; tomorrow I start the calls and the websites and everything. Wish me luck.
Gambatte, Schroeck-san!
Good luck! Here's hoping you have faster success than I'm having. Tongue
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.
My sympathies.

And my hope for a short and succesful search.
What he said.(As somebody whose company disintegrated out from under him- on Thanksgiving weekend, no less!- I feel your pain.)

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
And let me just say, holy crap. I hadn't had my new resume posted and active on Dice.com ten freaking minutes before I got the first headhunter call. And I had a dozen more easily after it. And I've got a live lead that I'll be following up on tomorrow morning.

I don't think we need to worry that it's going to be a repeat of 2009-2011 for me, guys.
-- Bob
---------
Good for you. I just wish I could get out of where I'm stuck currently.

And let me repeat after day 2 -- holy crap. The phones are ringing off the hook. Recruiters are throwing jobs in Philadelphia, Baltimore and San Francisco at me, saying, "please, won't you relocate?" (No. Family obligations.) I plowed all the way through lunch without noticing it, dealing with emails and phone calls. Got an interview with a recruiter on Monday. It's getting intense.
-- Bob
---------
This is wonderful news!  Congratulations... and let us know how it goes!
On my end, I've now three companies trying to get me in to talk to them... and this is after having to turn down a job at freaking Intel because of traffic concerns.(It's on the other side of two cities, would require 45 minutes to get to in best conditions, the schedule would have me in rush hour both ways, and it doesn't pay well enough to relocate for.)
I've got a second interview with a (more) local place this Monday.  I fell in love with them on the first interview- the HR guy and the manager there were great, the job sounded just right, and when I told them my career aspirations, they told me that their current IT guy did exactly that... and was looking to train up the new hire as an eventual replacement.  I meet their IT guy on Monday- we'll see how it goes.
To success- for all of us!/raises a flagon

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
Good luck to both of you...
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Good to hear, Bob.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
I'm sitting in Robert Half Technology waiting for my first interview at this very moment. And I've had a very productive morning, too...
-- Bob
---------
Um... maybe it's not so good idea to mention the place where you're looking to work. Or am I just too tinfoil-hate these days.

Either way, I wish you all the best of luck with the interview.
Rob Kelk

And yet again, my attempts at being sensible make me look like even more of an idiot than some of the more gonzo ideas I come up with....
--
Rob Kelk

Indeed, RHT is a recruiter. And it turns out they have something very nice indeed that they're going to pitch me for.

In fact, as of this afternoon, I am being presented to three, maybe four companies. One of them is looking to hire so quickly that my 36-hour resume-to-interview-to-hire at FastTrack will... well, it'll still be outrageously fast, but the next fastest might not be all that far behind it.
-- Bob
---------
Oh, and this might amuse or appall -- the deluge of phone calls and emails for absolutely ridiculous jobs ("You don't have any of the skills they want and the job is in the Yukon! Let us pitch you to them!") has gotten so bad after just three days that I went back to my jobsites and hid my resume again everywhere but Dice.com. I literally got five freaking phone calls on my cell phone while I was changing into a suit for my interview today. I'm spending more than half my time saying "no, you idiots, I don't want that job -- don't you read the profiles?"
Edit:  At least one was honest about it -- the email included an apology for wasted time if the job didn't match my skills or preferences and admitted it was a mass mailing.  If the job had been anywhere close to a good match for me I would have written back just to congratulate them on their honesty.
-- Bob
---------
Let us put it in perspective...would you rather it be the opposite where all you hear are the sound of crickets as you wait for someone to call about your job hunt?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6