Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Chapter 13 Teaser, #3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I made one other discovery that day, not long after lunch ended. Among the CAD files for the brain designs were the masks used for burning the circuits of every electronic component in the design. Several were relatively new -- newer than most of the other filesthat collectively made up the brain designs; not by coincidence were they also the extra control circuitry that had been addedto the brain by GENOM. But those that didn't lay out GENOM's additions were among the oldest files in the set, suggesting that they hadn't changed since the original designer had finalized his prototype. I had been running a simulation of one of these chips, displaying its results using both a schematic and a projection of the final physical circuit. I was tracing the path of a particularly osbcure signal when something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye -- something that had gone by a little too fast for me to actually see what it was, but not so fast that I couldn't realize that I had just seen something that seemed out of place.I suspended the sim and then stepped backwards through the signal's path until I saw it again -- a couple of little swirls in the circuit material, bright against the dull black substrate on which they rested, and unconnected to anything else. I dragged a zoombox over it and maximized the selection. Yeah. Just what I thought they were.Two romanji letters, in a cursive font, written in (virtual) precious metal: "KS"."It would appear," I said to the silent and empty lab without looking up from the screen, "that our mystery genius signed his work."Then I sat back from the monitor array and wondered what manner of interesting information that little tidbit might lead me to.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Poor Doug.
All of US know what it means.... =p"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

The Wanderer

Quote:
Two romanji letters, in a cursive font, written in (virtual)
precious metal: "KS".
One nitpick: it's "romaji".
That's the more common usage, anyway, and to see the other would be "that's not quite right" disturbing for me.
Up to you, of course.
Quote:
One nitpick: it's "romaji".
I've seen both, and to be fair, I've used both interchangeably -- less by design than by accident -- throughout the story. My prereaders didn't carp on it, but if folks really find it disturbing I'll change it.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
All of US know what it means.... =p
Right. That boomers were invented by Kevin Sorbo.

-- Bob
---------
Yarite. Everyone who's familiar with him has also heard the one about how He's really Hercules in Disguise. No reason he couldn't still be around then, except that KS is supposed to be... well.. Dead at that point."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Quote:
No reason he couldn't still be around then, except that KS is supposed to be... well.. Dead at that point.
Well, so is Hercules. Sorta.

-- Bob
---------