Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: THEREMIN - A Touch Friendly Synthesizer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://femurdesign.com/theremin/

Don't forget to try all four of the waveforms.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Well.  That was ... interesting.  Nostalgic, too -- I felt as if I was watching Forbidden Planet all over again.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Oh, this is all but PRICELESS!
Oddly enough, the original analog synthesizer for which that page was named is decidedly touch unfriendly: it has an electrode that controls volume (the closer your hand gets, the louder the theremin's tone becomes) and an electrode that controls pitch (the closer your hand, the higher the tone). To actually touch the electrodes is to produce an ear-splitting shriek akin to microphone feedback, and can generate electronic noise strong enough to damage audio equipment (either the speaker or the theremin itself).
For the Theremin at it's finest, look no further than the classic movie "Forbidden Planet". 
(The dark filter over this youtube posting is a little annoying, but the sound is just fine.)
Quote:Proginoskes wrote:
Oddly enough, the original analog synthesizer for which that page was named is decidedly touch unfriendly: it has an electrode that controls volume (the closer your hand gets, the louder the theremin's tone becomes) and an electrode that controls pitch (the closer your hand, the higher the tone). To actually touch the electrodes is to produce an ear-splitting shriek akin to microphone feedback, and can generate electronic noise strong enough to damage audio equipment (either the speaker or the theremin itself).
I see a super-villain origin in this....  
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Ebony Wrote:
Quote:Proginoskes wrote:Oddly enough, the original analog synthesizer for which that page was named is decidedly touch unfriendly: it has an electrode that controls volume (the closer your hand gets, the louder the theremin's tone becomes) and an electrode that controls pitch (the closer your hand, the higher the tone). To actually touch the electrodes is to produce an ear-splitting shriek akin to microphone feedback, and can generate electronic noise strong enough to damage audio equipment (either the speaker or the theremin itself).
I see a super-villain origin in this....

Theré-Man!
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Theré-Man!
Where-a-man?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Where-a-man?
Ye gods.  Young Frankenstein was the first thing that jumped to my mind when I read Comrade Kelk's contribution.  
Quote:Inga:  "Werewolf!" 
Frederick Frankenstein:  "Werewolf?" 
Igor:  "There wolf."
-----
Quote:DHBirr wrote:
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Where-a-man?
Ye gods.  Young Frankenstein was the first thing that jumped to my mind when I read Comrade Kelk's contribution.  
Gotta respect the classics, man. ^_^
Logan Darklighter Wrote:
Quote:DHBirr wrote:
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:Theré-Man!
Where-a-man?

Gotta respect the classics, man. ^_^

We're getting a regular team together here: Theré-Man, Classics-Man...
--
Rob Kelk

Can't forget Feld-Man!

*rimshot*
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Oh-Wow-Man (he can stone you out of your skull with just a good strong exhale from as much as thirty meters away).
-----