Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: It's time to hang up the bowler and brolly...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/25/entertain ... index.html]Patrick MacNee has passed away.

(And he's the third in as many days -- composer James Horner and Eight is Enough star Dick van Patten preceded him this week.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
About twenty years ago, I saw him in a clever ad for some sports car or other -- the commercial was too cool for me to pay the damned car any attention, even though the auto was most of what was shown throughout.  It was racing along a cliffside road, somewhere tropical, while music that sounded appropriate for a Bond movie played.  No voiceover; just the car zooming along, and the music.  Then it pulled into the driveway of an elegant manor, stopped, and MacNee got out.  He smiled directly into the camera and asked, "You were expecting someone else?"  One line; maybe ten seconds at most ... and he completely upstaged the automobile.

And Horner -- reading the list of all the scores he wrote ... talk about the day the music died (ouch, and the same way, too).
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Sad, isn't it?
Quote:DHBirr wrote:
About twenty years ago, I saw him in a clever ad for some sports car or other -- the commercial was too cool for me to pay the damned car any attention, even though the auto was most of what was shown throughout.  It was racing along a cliffside road, somewhere tropical, while music that sounded appropriate for a Bond movie played.  No voiceover; just the car zooming along, and the music.  Then it pulled into the driveway of an elegant manor, stopped, and MacNee got out.  He smiled directly into the camera and asked, "You were expecting someone else?"  One line; maybe ten seconds at most ... and he completely upstaged the automobile.

And Horner -- reading the list of all the scores he wrote ... talk about the day the music died (ouch, and the same way, too).
That was the Sterling automotive company, at the time a division of Land Rover. I remember it too. It actually got me looking into who this elegant fellow was and what "The Avengers" were all about.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Thankfully people love to post ads to YouTube, Sterling Cars - Someone Else
I used to watch The Avengers all the time on A&E as a kid.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.