Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Do you run Windows? Do you have automatic updates turned on?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do you run Windows? Do you have Windows Update left on the default setting of "automatic updates"? Congratulations; http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/10 ... _download/]you have a copy of Windows 10, whether you wanted it or not. Hope you don't pay for your Internet connection by the GB...

(This is why I always change Windows Update to "notify but do not automatically download".)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Well, I use the same setting also.Mine is still saying 8.1.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Check your disc for multi-gigabyte files you don't remember downloading. Just because you haven't installed it doesn't mean it isn't there.
--
Rob Kelk

I run across this today in one of my news letters. It's a set of steps for removing the download.
 Doesn't do much about the bandwidth they helped themselves to, but at least it lets you remove it from the hard drive.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/298377 ... 2015-09-14
Back in 2010 it took me only one month after being forced to transfer from dial up to a Satellite provider to learn that automatic updates for windows 7 and any other installed program should be turned off on every computer and not long after that I added a flexible third party firewall for each computer able to watch outgoing  programs and packets allowing the selective blocking of  any program and packets.
So far shutting down all auto updates and having a firewall focused on watching outgoing programs and packets has let me keep enough bandwidth open to actually enjoy the internet and get work done using it. 
hmelton
God Bless
I have automatic update turned on, however Windows 10 constantly fails to download. I've checked and the window 10 download existing on my system is only 50 mb.
So yay for having a dodgy win7 install, that's a dodgy install not copy, possibly down to how I did the 64bit upgrade.
The best thing to do is to go get the Windows 10 update directly from Microsoft's website. They have the download link on there somewhere, just google for it. For whatever reason, Windows Update has a horrible tendency to mismanage downloads, and I really wish they'd fix that. The trouble is that since it all goes on in the background, it largely goes unnoticed, and therefore not a big priority.
Black Aeronaut Wrote:The best thing to do is to go get the Windows 10 update directly from Microsoft's website.
Assuming, of course, that you want to download Windows 10.
--
Rob Kelk

It's a lot better than Windows 8, for sure, and a nice upgrade from Windows 7. The Desktop is back, looking nicer than ever, and so is the Start Menu, which now includes those tiles from Windows 8, only in a much more tolerable scale. And let's not forget the virtual desktops. Those are handy for me because I can have two instances of Chrome going in separate desktops - one with tabs for school and one with tabs for home. This is nice so when I'm studying I have fewer distractions.