Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Unpleasant News
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Friend and pre-reader Helen "Hexe" Imre was (non-critically) injured in an automobile accident this morning, in which she also totaled the car she was driving. She's banged up but in no danger. More on this as we learn it.
EDIT:  Fixed misspelled title.  Damned smartphone "keyboard".  The one time you want the autocorrect to work, it doesn't.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Please pass along my well-wishes...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
robkelk Wrote:Please pass along my well-wishes...
Mine as well.
Oh man... No doubt she'll be alright... I just hope she gets a good insurance payout for her car.
Karma might do that that to you; but Carma certainly will.
Please send our best wishes her way.
Shayne & Cindy
Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
Oh man... No doubt she'll be alright... I just hope she gets a good insurance payout for her car.
Actually, it was a car we had loaned her while she shopped for a new one -- a 2002 Saturn with over 300K miles on it, no collision coverage, and a Blue Book value of about $200.  We're not getting anything for it.  I'm not concerned about that or losing the car, though -- we'd mothballed it before loaning it to her, and we were going to have to junk it or sell it eventually, otherwise it would end up sitting in our driveway unused for years.
Fortunately, damage to the other driver's car is covered, as are Helen's medical costs.  And those are the important things.
And the next time I speak with her I will pass along all your wishes.
-- Bob
---------
Thank goodness for small miracles...

Seraviel

Best wishes from me also.
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.
I'm sorry to hear of the accident, and glad to hear she's not badly hurt ... and that the financial consequences won't be dire.  
It's a pleasing commentary on how car safety features have been improved from the early days, that you were able to say "totaled the car" and "in no danger" about the same person in the same crash.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
That was one of the things we loved about Saturn's vehicles -- they were designed to crumple around the passengers, drop the engine block on the road, and generally absorb all impact stresses. Helen's worst injury, IIRC, is a cut on her foot that needed stitches. The car did what it was promised to do in that situation, which was sacrifice itself for the people in it. If Saturn still existed, they would get a testimonial from me a yard long (and I would have bought one instead of a Hyundai last fall).
-- Bob
---------
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
That was one of the things we loved about Saturn's vehicles -- they were designed to crumple around the passengers, drop the engine block on the road, and generally absorb all impact stresses. Helen's worst injury, IIRC, is a cut on her foot that needed stitches. The car did what it was promised to do in that situation, which was sacrifice itself for the people in it. If Saturn still existed, they would get a testimonial from me a yard long (and I would have bought one instead of a Hyundai last fall).
If it wasn't for the fact that Saturn doesn't exist, Cerulean Edge's replacement this year would have also been a Saturn.
14 years, relatively trouble free. The biggest repairs I had to do was replace the belt (under $100), the secondary air injection valve (a little over that), and the radiator (about $150, OEM radiator, had my brother's help as he'd done two Saturn SL radiators already).
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
I wish now I had a picture I could post here of how my Saturn was totaled -- hit from behind and then from in front, at speeds that may have approached 50 miles per hour -- and I got only bruising and a few scrapes.  Yes, those cars protected their drivers/passengers magnificently, and the demise of the company is a tragedy.  I too would never again have bought any other brand if it were possible.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
We just got back from spending the evening with Helen and Attila. Helen thanks you all for your kind words and good thoughts. As it turned out, I was wrong about the worst of her injuries -- while her foot did indeed need four stitches, she had a gash on her knee that needed seven. Beyond that, she is basically just bruised and scraped.
-- Bob
---------
Hope all's okay.
Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

As for cars saving their owners, one of my abiding memories from my childhood is seeing the Mazda that took a drunk-driver side-on to the driver door at 60mph..... The whole care nearly bent in two after being shunted 200 yards down the road. Three people in that car walked away, while my da bought our first computer with the settlement when he got out of the hospital.