Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Only One Week Until Retirement...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've had an interesting two and a half days.
Saturday night, I turned off my computer.  Sunday, I tried to turn it on... and only halfway succeeded.  The lights and fans turned on, but no picture and no joy.  The odd bit was that the three lights on my keyboard never turned off, which suggested a motherboard issue to me.
Cracked the case, and powered it on again, this time staring at the status display.  It got stuck halfway to POST; not a RAM problem, but a problem with the mobo's RAM interface.  I looked it up online, and the board's borked.
The funny bit, and the reason for the title of the post, is that I'd already bought a replacement for it.  A replacement board, CPU, and cooler were sitting across the room, the RAM not yet arrived.  Amazon said that the RAM would be arriving on 10/26; at the time, I was amused at how it'd failed right *before* I was ready to slot in the new equipment, but then one of my friends commented that it only had a week until retirement.  The idea stuck.
(The RAM got here today, instead of Monday of next week.  I've installed it, and the machine now reaches BIOS.  Need to do some config, some driver install, and some Windows fiddling, and I'll be back on my desktop again- this time, with a Skylake i7 and 32GB of fast DDR4 to play with...)

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
In the words of Keanu Reeves

Woah!

Thats cool man glad things worked out so well for you.