Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: RIP Alan Rickman
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
CBC News: http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/alan-rickma ... -1.3403317]Alan Rickman dead at 69
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:robkelk wrote:
CBC News: Alan Rickman dead at 69
Sad
Son of a.....I'm sorry to sound a bit callous but, David Bowie I could understand and expect. Alan Rickman on the other hand...

... I hate to say it, but there are probobly many immature potter fans who cant separate the actor from the charecter he played who are dancing aroung going "ding dong the snape is dead"

Hell, that was my second thought. the first was that ... okay maybe it was my third (or more)

It would be nice for him to be remembered for his other roles, but at the moment I cant think of any?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Seraviel

Gruber in Die Hard, Harry in Love Actually, and his role in Galaxy Quest.
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.
Oh, hell, my sister's going to be devastated; she's a big fan of his.  I've always teased her that her high opinion of Severus Snape was mostly because Rickman played him.
Don't forget his role as the genocide-planning squatter in Quigley Down Under, and as the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves -- ATT called the Sheriff "Deliciously villainous and by far the most very interesting character in the movie."

Oh, and his good-guy role as Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility.  Noteworthy because when he smiles in the final scene, it seems like he drops ten years of age.

----

No, it ISN'T what it is!
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Metatron in Dogma. 
And yeah. A lot of the love of Snape was because of the brilliant job Alan did playing him. A role he took in large part because his grandkids loved Harry Potter so much. The various child actors in that series had so many wonderful stories about him. It's a hell of a loss.
After I saw this I had to inform my sister by text. The line that came to mind for me was "At least he didn't use a spoon"

Another deeply-felt loss for the world. Rickman was a great artist -- and after reading the CBC article I'm going to go look for the films he directed.

(And ten points to the actual Sheriff of Nottingham for his tribute to Rickman.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I remember one of his minor roles more than I do him being in Die Hard: The January Man.
He was brilliant in the January man - as a film it is a guilty pleasure - the sheer quantity and quality of the actors in that film is breathtaking; and everyone was told to give it their all.  The story is secondary to the performances.
[Image: taiBahS.png]
Fuck Cancer. 

No seriously. FUCK CANCER!!