Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A Californian living in Washinton D.C
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If anyone had told me 6 years ago I'd be working in Washington D.C., I'd never believe it. Especially a SoCal guy like me. I'm staying in a hotel at Falls Church, VA right now and here are some my observations:

1. There are as many ethnic groups running around in Nothern Virginia as in Los Angeles. Specially Hispanics and Asians. I feel right at home.

2. The white stuff falling out of the sky will get some use to.

3. It's a new experience for me riding public transit.I found out that it's more convenient to drive ito a train station and take the metro than get on a bus stop to get me there. I found out that I'm better off seated in the direction of travel, unless I want to get motion sickness. I am going to be losing weight just doing all that walking and stair climbing.

4. The shopping area was a new experience. The Target I went to was situated on the top floor of a 4 story building. The other floors were parking spaces. The sign at the entrance tells you whether the parking floors are full or not. Do your shopping and either take the cart down a separate escalator ands you beside it on another escalator. Or take the elevator down to your floor. Pretty neat.

I will have to spend some time playing tourist later. I do believe I will start with a White House tour.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
The Metro in DC is fucking epic. It makes getting around an order of magnitude easier. I still have the Smartrip from three years ago - and a fun story to go with it.

We arrived at about 10pm still bewildered into East Fall's Church off the shuttle from Dulles, and first met a Station manager who went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure we had the right passes - and some woman who's name I've long forgotten who gave us 4 old smartrip cards from her personal collection. I woder if that station manager is still there?

Anyway, if you don't start with the Air and Space museum when doing the tourist thing, you miss out on a lot. Ignoring the Udvar Hazy centre means missing out on even more

(For obvious reasons, the White House tour was closed to me - but we still snapped photographs from behind the second row of barriers)

1. Get a Smart trip card and put it on a neck pass/lanyard. Especially if your transferring. It saves time to just pull it out of your shirt swipe it and place it back while walking.

2. Use the right side of the escalator if you want to stand still. The left side if you want to walk down/up the escalator.

3. I get motion sickness if I'm riding on the seat behind the motion of travel. Take the seat we're your pushed back against the seat.

4. Only an idiot would push her hand to stop the doors from closing. The train driver will not allow you in.

5. Just walking to and from the metro station parking to the office is great exercise. I went from a size 38 waist to a size 36 in 2 weeks! I've been averaging 4 miles a day!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
The two times that I've visited DC, I've found it a great town for walking. And the second time I was there, I used the Metro for just about everything, including getting from and to the airport.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Well, saw the Cherry Blossoms. God, the place was packed.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
it always is, its one of DC's tourist draws. one of the best ones in my book.

just remember though, what happens in DC, stays on Youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/v/Uu9kcmURIyA&version=3 ... tube_gdata

Someone had this to say about D.C.

"I lived in Dallas until the early 90's, then escaped to DC. Dallas was nothing but freeways, ranch style houses that all pretty much looked the same, a 7-11 on every street corner, and billboards EVERWHERE. Talk about a city with no soul. Make it a desert and call it Phoenix. Make it sprawl even more and call it L.A., make it greener and call it Atlanta. American cities have very lilttle character with a few exceptions. I can take visitors from out of town on a tour of Dupont, Logan Circle, Georgetown, Shaw, etc. and they are astounded at the quality of architecture, the vibrancy of the street scene. I found Dallas to be soul crushing. The city is beautiful and only getting better. You should have seen in in 92. I still loved it over Dallas - now it's a whole new game."
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
That person should have tried living here in San Antonio for a bit. So much more character here than in Dallas.
I may have another title: Harbinger

If you all are following the House Hunt Thread, I already took ownership of a 3 story townhouse. 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms. The townhouse is part of a devlelopment that have working street lights and have kids playing at night. Typical suburban scene anywhere else. Only this development is part of affordable housing initiative. !0 years ago, D.C was the homicide capital of the nation. Part of the solution to bring down the problem was to allow the residents of blighted neighborhoods an opportunity to purchase a home costing up to 250k on just an income of 40k a year n 2008. That same home would now cost 275-300k, The influx of people had started a wave gentrification in southeast and southwest D.C.

Right now I'm the only Asian in a black majority community. That point was driven when I went to a Chinese takeout place. The place was a hole in a wall with video cameras and a bullet proof glass plate across the counter. The plate was line with cans and sighs all across the counter so that you can see. And talk to someone across the turnstile. And they only take cash, I would bet the owner has a gun somewhere. Ordinance or no ordinance (pardon the pun).
They were curious about me and I told them I was an Hispanic Asian and my father had Chinese blood. I lowered my darkened eye glasses to show my eyes. I also told them I just moved in the neighborhood. They were so happy they gave me free tea.

The setup reminds me uncomfortably of the situation in Compton before the Rodney King riots. Two racial groups in close proximity to each other and neither trusting the other.

Which is probably the reason for the mixed reception when I introduced myself to the neighbors. One scowled at me told me point blank I'm not his neighbor before he drove off and the old coot across the street told me that the guy I was blocking the driveway from with my car was going to back in 10 minutes. But that guy told me he was going to be at work all day when I introduced myself before he drove off. Thank God, the rest of them are more welcoming.

And I am to these folks the personification of gentrification. You have housing developments going up around the metro stations which is going to raise the real estate values and is causing the original inhabitants to sell their homes to cash in on it, get those homes torn down and new housing built on it for much more higher prices. People agree that in my neghborhood, the situation will look like San Franciso now in 5-10 years. Which is kinda apt because the townhouse I'm in resembles some of the S.F townhouses built up on the hills.

So the next decade promises to be interesting. Ugh. Ancient Chinese curse.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Well, there had been 2 shooting deaths in a nearby train station.Both victim and perp were teens. Supposedly triggered by one looking at the other the wrong way. Which is one reason I'm taking the Metro at another station. Neighborhood might be getting gentrified, but it's not there yet.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Okay, should I be worried? I was showing a possible tenant around the neighborhood. She's white. I come home later to find my part of the sidewalk covered in cigarette butts and a ued condom. Racists and bigots do come in all colors.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
I wouldn't be, but mind you I would tend to violence in response so I'm not sure if you want my solution.

Quote:Rajvik wrote:
I wouldn't be, but mind you I would tend to violence in response so I'm not sure if you want my solution.
First, I have to determine the who first. I'll have to install a perimeter camera with light light capability. To determine who. Then figure out a non violent way. I like my close neighbors and I'd rather not have it devolved of me against the entire neighborhood.
One another note. I saw the father of a family of tourists being pulled out of the closed train car door. I told them afterward, that if you can't get to the train on time, wait for the next one. They're only 3 minutes behind in peak hours.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Another day, another Metro fire. I'll have bring a respirator or a smoke hood with me.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Okay some news...the Metro is going to be undergoing a "safety surge" to make up for decades of neglect. Which means going on the subway is going to be even moe of an adventure. Or I start taking the car to work. Also:
You can start putting tiny houses in your property and rent them out
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Quote:Which means going on the subway is going to be even moe of an adventure.
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/08/07/t ... yed-girls/
Though I get the feeling the D.C. takes itself too seriously to go full moe.
-- ∇×V
Quote:vorticity wrote:
Quote:Which means going on the subway is going to be even moe of an adventure.
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/08/07/t ... yed-girls/
Though I get the feeling the D.C. takes itself too seriously to go full moe.
Just the thought of he who shall not be named might be the next overlord is enough to seek moe.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Okay went to tour the Capitol. Came with an old co-worker from Alabama and her family. Was waiting at the head of the line for the start of the tour. Lockdown was anounced. Waited 45 min for the all clear. snagged a gallery pass from my congresswoman. Those things are good for a year.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell