Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Any suggestions for a replacement for AdBlock?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for something that block ads, not http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/14 ... rnational/]replaces them with other ads.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I don't know if there is a distinction between "AdBlock" and the remarkably similarly named "Adblock Plus" but the latter is what I am using. (Along with Ghostery)
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Was about to say, AdBlock Plus shouldn't be doing that shit. :p
You could try uBlock
There IS in fact a distinction between Adblock and Adblock Plus (ABP).  ABP is in my experience much better.  Possibly because it wasn't taken over by corporate interests.
uBlock has some interesting points to it, but when I gave it a shot I ran into a lot of odd problems.  That was a while ago so it's possible those have been fixed, not sure.

I use ABP everywhere I can and have been extremely happy with it.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
The consensus on Hacker News is to use uBlock Origin.  Still faster than AdBlock Plus.  Better than original uBlock, because uBlock Origin still built by the original uBlock developer.  I've been using it for over a year now and haven't had any problems.
AdBlock Plus blocks most ads, unless the advertisers pay them money.  If they get the cash, then ABP will allow those ads through unless you change the default settings.
On the topic of Ghostery, I just think you should know that Ghostery tracks all your browser history and sells it to advertisers.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostery#Business_model
-- ∇×V