Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Chapter 13 Teaser, 12 May 2003
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While I fight with my writer's block, here's a little something I wrote some months ago.
-- Bob
(edit: ezcode, not html!)
----------
In other news, I found out who the mysterious "KS", designer ofthe boomer brain, was. Despite my best efforts, I had to filterthrough a lot of Knight Saber drek to find him, but there he was,practically a footnote in the history of boomer development aspresented by GENOM: Katsuhito Stingray. (Talk about your goofynames... Or maybe not, considering pots, kettles and apparentreflectivity indices...)Something of a latter-day Renaissance man, he worked for anoutfit called Whiz Laboratories (which GENOM later took over,natch) until he died in what the official biographical paragraphdescribed as "an accidental explosion". Parsing *that* throughthe GENOM-to-Truth converter gets us "assassinated after hiscritical breakthrough so we could nick all the rights when webought the company."Except that GENOM *didn't* get *all* the rights to boomertech --according to certain other databases I consulted, Stingray hadfiled for and received a few key patents before his death, andthose were still in the hands of his two children, Sylia andMackinnison. (*Who* in their right mind names their kid"Mackinnison"? God only knows what damage that did to the poorboy's psyche growing up, especially combined with having his dadmurdered...)Anyway, out of a kind of paternal interest in these two probablevictims of GENOM's greed, I looked into their lives. It turnedout to be harder than I expected -- both kept a very low profile.However, I found enough. They were doing well for themselves --for some reason GENOM hadn't tried to cheat or lawyer them out ofthe remaining patents (probably because it would have been a PRdebacle even GENOM's spinmeisters couldn't have fixed), andthey'd been worth a lot. The girl -- well, woman, actually,since she was now in her middle 20s -- was a multimillionaire whoapparently split her time between running a lingerie shop anddabbling (rather successfully) in real estate. The boy was anengineering prodigy who was attending college in Germany, but hadpreviously lived with his sister in their penthouse home. Theycertainly weren't suffering, despite their father's probablemurder at GENOM's hands.(*"They killed your parents, didn't they?"*)The memory of my own voice whispered to me from the back of mymind, and I stopped for a moment to consider what it had to say.Then I pulled up what precious little there was on Sylia Stingrayin the public databases -- suspiciously little, come to think ofit. I supplemented it with material I had eased out of someGENOM files I really wasn't supposed to know about. I added invarious news shots of both the White Knight and Stingray. Istudied the combined results and thought.Allowing for those stupid heels and the general increase indimensions imposed by the nature of the armor, she'd be about theright height and build. Her brother had clearly inherited theirfather's genius, so why not her? But either one could be theKnights' technologist. She had more than enough money to start(if not continuously fund) a private mercenary force. Sheclearly had enough pull to ensure her online profile was smallenough to overlook easily. She had the free time. And she had amotive that tallied up nicely with Lady White's obsession withboomers.Add to that the fact that the name I'd overheard in their radiochatter as "Celia" could easily have been "Sylia" instead, and Iwas pretty sure that I had found the leader of the Knight Sabers.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

You know it's not very nice to post things like this and leave us all to suffer until the chapter is released in full. It's good stuff though, I wonder if Doug's going to continue his habit of being rash and do something dumb with that piece of information.
...and this, children, is why the Net is the most dangerous tool ever developed by mankind.
Evil! MORE!
--Mr. F, attempting to be completely anti-productive today.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

A thing just struck me, is "Mackinnison" official or are you making that up. And sorry fore the bungled User Name on my last post.

A thing just struck me, is "Mackinnison" official or are you making that up. And sorry for the bungled User Name on my last post.
The only official name for Mackie is "Mackie". It does seem like a nickname or abbreviation of a longer name. Chris Davies was the first one to use "Mackinnison" in his epic fanfic Together Again, and I rather liked the sound of it. Out of courtesy, I asked for and received his permission to use the name.

-- Bob
---------

Murmur the Fallen

Hey.
Now that makes me want to know what he's going to do about it. And now I have to wait for the chapter to come out. Grrrr.
Anyway, reading through all this, I get the sense that you got this info from Mr. Davies' timeline, which mentions that Dr. Stingray worked at Wiz Labs, a subsidiary of Bioscape.
Which is not original BGC canon. The Wiz Labs is from BGC 2040 (Mr. Davies also had Quincy Rosenkreutz, rather than Masada Quincy as the name of the head of Genom.) Dr. Stingray's lab has a name, i think, but I can't think of it right now. But it's not Wiz.
MacKinnison, MacKinnison . . . god, you know, I actually did research on the name "Kinnison" and as far as I could tell, it's derived from Mac Anguish--son of Angus. So MacKinnison would be Son of Son of Angus.
Just a little note.
-murmur the fallen
who keeps on waiting for Mackie to put on the grey and use the power of WILL.
Huh. I could've sworn I got "Whiz" out of the first BGC RPG book.
I'll have to look when I get home, since I'm not carrying to and from work with me any more.

-- Bob
---------
Raven's has it down as Wiz Laboratories.
And if MacKinnison really is Mackie's first name, it's no wonder why he doesn't use it.
--Rod.H
Quote:
Raven's has it down as Wiz Laboratories.
The original BGC RPG sourcebook says "Wiz", too -- page 53, in the BGC timeline, item for year 2022 cites how Mason killed Dr. Stingray and burnt down Wiz labs. So I got the spelling wrong, but I didn't import wholesale from 2040.

-- Bob
---------

Murmur the Fallen

Say, how do you view Dr. Stingray, anyway?
I mean, it's obvious from "Soldier Blue" that he did SOMETHING to Sylia, and possibly to Mackie and Brian J. Mason.
So, mad scientist, caring if absent father, or what?
-murmur
Quote:
Say, how do you view Dr. Stingray, anyway?
I mean, it's obvious from "Soldier Blue" that he did SOMETHING to Sylia, and possibly to Mackie and Brian J. Mason.
The image of Stingray that's building up out of the background detail is someone who's very much focused on his goals, and has forgotten some of the ethical considerations involved in choosing the means of reaching them. He was a loving father, but he was also an obsessive, and his work became the focus of that obsession.
And yes, he did something to Mackie and Sylia in canon -- I think we've covered that here before, but an Animeigo exec admitted two years ago that according to what he was told by the BGC production staff, both Sylia and Mackie have boomer brain augmentation.

-- Bob
---------