Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Ghostbusters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got back from a matinee showing of the new Ghostbusters movie, and... I enjoyed it.  I think it's worth going to see.  It's different -- it is in no way a line-for-line remake, and it doesn't have the same ratio of comedy to action/horror than the original, being a bit lighter on the comedy.  And the four main characters are different in many ways -- none of them is a Venkman-style con artist, for example.  But it's good film, driven as strongly by character and backstory as by the events they find themselves in.  There are plenty of winks and nods to the original, including a great set of cameos, but is its own thing, unbeholden to the first film.  If it has a fault, I would say that the comic writing is weaker at the beginning than it should be; but by the end every funny bit rang perfectly.
Oh, and is mandatory these days, you have to sit through the credits. There are multiple scenes interspersed among them, plus a final post-credits scene that is either a callback or a sequel hook.

Anyway, I spent just under $10 and didn't feel like I'd wasted it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
In the trailer, the ghosts looked like a mardi gras parade viewed under a black light effect. Do they still look like that in the final movie?
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
They are almost all luminescent in shades of blue and green mostly, which no doubt contributes to your impression. On the large screen, though, they generally have a visible transparency and/or trail off into misty wisps, and do not look simply like costumed people with funny lighting. However it is difficult to speak definitively of all the creatures in the movie, as there are very clearly dozens of different varieties, each with their own characteristics.

I will note that there is one group that does look like a parade, because it is a parade.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.