Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Winter in Ottawa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Well, the Rideau Canal skateway is closed for the season. The skating rink melted again... and it's still February.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Hey, whaddya know? It's finally snowing in Denver after like a month and a half! Sending a strongly-worded letter to the Times works!

(Probably not more than an inch but at this point I'll take it.)
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Meanwhile, the temperature in Ottawa is +15C.

Enjoy the snow, Mal...
--
Rob Kelk

It was 70F here an hour after sunset tonight. I did chicken on our gas grill for dinner.  In a T-shirt. 
This is a February to remember.
Of course, with the way the weather around here goes, on March 2 a blizzard is probably going to hit and drop 2 feet of snow on us.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I wouldn't be surprised.

Forecast high temperatures: Friday +2C, Saturday +13C, Sunday -2C, Monday +2C. This is ... annoying.
--
Rob Kelk

Bouncing up and down like a yo-yo!
This year, 'Christmas in July' will be more authentic looking...

And I was hoping to air the apartment this weekend...
--
Rob Kelk

So, for those paying attention to the weather in the northeastern US, Rochester NY got hit by 80+ mph winds back on Wednesday, leading to more than 100,000 people without electricity.

Things are finally starting to get back on track around here. I spent several days at my parents' place, which has a generator (but no internet, since they're in Florida and had the cable service paused). My own power and internet came back on yesterday, and I spent a couple of hours today cleaning out the fridge and buying new groceries.

Annoyingly enough, I'd just -bought- milk and yogurt and lunchmeat, and had to toss it all.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
And a blizzard is now bearing down on us, only 2 weeks later than my prediction up above. Some time after midnight tonight, a nor'easter will sweep into the NJ/NY area and it's forecast to drop upwards of a foot of snow on us.

This damn well better be the real last gasp of winter.
-- Bob
---------
Because of that blizzard, the 401 (the busiest freeway in North America) is closed at Mallorytown - there's a 30-vehicle pileup, including a truck believed to be carrying a caustic substance.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/hi ... -1.4024721

If you're at the northern end of the Eastern Seaboard or the Kingston-to-Quebec-City part of the Canadian Corridor, stay home. I'm seriously considering staying at work overnight.
--
Rob Kelk

I'm looking out my window right now, and I think it's finally stopped here. Since it's the end of the day, it's time for me to go dig us out.
-- Bob
---------
Well, I drove home. I hope I can get to work tomorrow.
--
Rob Kelk

And we're dug out, and I've enjoyed my reward of pizza. We didn't get the worst that was forecast for us -- 16 inches (40 cm) -- but we did get what looked like an average of about 10 inches (25 cm).
-- Bob
---------
Still snowing here, but only lightly. We got 15cm (half-foot) overnight, and shouldn't get more than another 5cm today.

The 401 collision resulted in one dead and 28 others admitted to hospital (including 13 emergency responders who needed to be decontaminated). The "caustic substance" mentioned yesterday was fluorosilicic acid. As of this posting, the 401 is still closed between Mallorytown and Highway 137 / Interstate 81.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/hi ... -1.4024721
--
Rob Kelk

Well, managed to make it to work yesterday. Buses in Welland were running on schedule. But when I left work at 10:00 PM last night, the buses were pretty much shut down; fortunately, a good Samaritan was willing to drive me home.

See what happens today. No snow falling now, it seems.
Managed - barely - to make it to work this morning. Deeply unpleasant drive. Was sorely tempted to call in but once I was out of the driveway I didn't see any point.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
I am NOT bragging or gloating; I'm commenting on the intense weirdness of winter these days, given that in southern Michigan, not all that distant from Ottawa or Rochester, we had bitterly cold temperatures, and got hit by snow — but not to anywhere near the degrees described by these other posts.  
Right now, there's lots of blue sky showing outside my window, and the roads are not only clear but look totally dry.  

What IS it with the weather patterns now?  Michigan used to be renowned for how much snow we got; "Water Winter Wonderland," y'know?  Are we building up a karmic snow burden, and we'll get snowed in while you're suffering a heat wave — or flooding?
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Talking weird... we went down to Lakehurst this morning to talk to the funeral director, and about halfway there we realized that there was almost no snow to be seen. Apparently some kind of warm front slid up the Jersey Shore from the south right in the middle of the storm and then sat there, turning all the snow south of Freehold into rain instead.
-- Bob
---------
... I think I should think again about mentioning what the weather's been like in LA out of fear of getting lynched.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Oh hey, was I summoned?
We actually did get a lot of rain this year. 
[Image: 20170314_ca_none.png]Source: http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/Stat ... or.aspx?CA
Hey look, we're only in *Moderate Drought* now.  Woooo!  My own rain gauge recorded 18 inches of rain locally, which is a good year, but not an exceptionally rainy year -- for that we'd need one of the Pineapple Express storms to hit the Santa Barbara area.  But we were stuck in the rain shadow all year.
But anyway, the spring weather has been really great lately.  Warm days, cool foggy nights.  The rainy season is over once again.
-- ∇×V
Twenty-six-point-seven inches of snow later, the roads are mostly clear and the sun is out. The walkway to my front door is still clogged, however; it's in a sort of 'valley' between my garage and the driveway of the condo unit next door (built on a hillside). I'm not looking forward to trying to shovel that out.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
As I post this, three days after Cinco de Mayo, it is snowing in parts of Ottawa.

There is also sufficient flooding that all of the bridges between Ottawa and Gatineau are closed (as are all federal government offices on the Gatineau side of the river), and the ferries aren't running because the docks are under water. This has never happened before. Don't tell me climate change is a hoax - the evidence outside my window says otherwise.
--
Rob Kelk

We had a high of 55 F on Saturday, with steady rain. It wouldn't have been a problem, except we were doing our annual crawfish boil party. We had a lot of people not show up. The high for this week is expected to be 70 F. Not what I would call pleasant late spring weather.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Most of last week was continuous rain here in central NJ. At least during the day. At night it stayed cloudy, but dried out and the temperature dropped to the high 30s F. Today is the first sunny morning in days -- and it's supposed to get clouded over by the afternoon with chance of sprinkles and showers.
-- Bob
---------
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5