Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Teaser from Chapter 13
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"I need a boomer," I said to Ohara."What?" He stared at me."I need a boomer," I repeated. "Don't worry, I'll disable itsweapons systems before I start working with it."Several moments passed while he digested this. "Do I even wantto know *why*?" he finally asked."No."He pursed his lips and looked at me over his glasses for a fewmore seconds. "All right," he said. "I'll have one sent to yourshop immediately."Immediately was right. Illya showed up at my door at almost thesame moment I did, accompanied by one of the maintenance guys,who was wheeling along a seriously large crate on a handtruck. Istood at the door to my shop and watched as they came to a halt acouple of feet away. "Ordered a boomer you did?" Illya askedwith a grin.When I saw the model number stenciled on the side of the plasteelbox, I gave him an incredulous Look. "You keep combat boomers*on-site*?"He shrugged in a manner that seemed far too Gallic for hisRussian blood. "One or two we have left over from, um, earlierphase of studies.""Yeah, right." I studied the box for a moment, then opened thedoor and stood aside. "All right, bring it in and put it next tothe nanofac."

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Ya know, I can almost see Doug having a hell of a time with GENOM's internal supply system...
Go through a few catalogs and order some of the most outrageous things, just to see if they'll actually come...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Actually, what I love most about the whole scene is Ohara's reaction...
Quote:
"Do I even want to know?"
"No..."
and the implied ".... OKAAAAY...." "I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
By this point, Ohara's realizing that maybe he's bitten off just a little more than he can chew. The only comfort he has is that Doug's on his side right now... and that can be small comfort indeed, especially as Ohara has no idea what Doug is up to most of the time.

-- Bob
---------

Scrambler

Ohara must be thinking something along the lines of "I think I've created a monster." ^_^
More like, "I don't know, I don't have to know, I don't want to know..."

-- Bob
---------
Heh. Here I was expecting you to do a "Schutz"...
"I see Nooothink, I hear Nooooothink, I know NOTHINK!!"
Which, if you think about it, is also probobly a good descriptor for Ohara's state of mind at this point. [Image: happy.gif] "I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

NO QUARTER!!!
You mean Schultz - And that's "Seargent Schultz" to you! [Image: smile.gif]
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Of course, the next scene is Ohara checking on IDEC's liability insurance...

-- Bob
---------

cpt kangarooski

Yeah, big organizations can be great for ordering things. A friend of mine was an avionics tech in the Air Force for a while. Being bored, he and some other techs were going through the comprehensive supply catalogues, and decided to order a tank. Apparently it was actually en route to them before someone wised up and canceled the order. Similarly university departments always get a bunch of unecessary crap just before the end of the fiscal year so as to use up their entire budget.
If chapter 13 takes place quite a bit later, then Doug stands a good chance of having amassed all kinds of fun stuff.
---
Chizue: You have a crate from GENOM's military weapons division in here?
Doug: Yeah, read the label. It's great.
Chizue: 'Contents: 1 (One) Pulse-Laser, Plasma, Phased, 40 Watts'
Doug: 'Just what you see, pal.'
I didn't have that kind of thing in mind, but I wonder if I couldn't work it in...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Yeah, big organizations can be great for ordering things. A friend of mine was an avionics tech in the Air Force for a while. Being bored, he and some other techs were going through the comprehensive supply catalogues, and decided to order a tank. Apparently it was actually en route to them before someone wised up and canceled the order. Similarly university departments always get a bunch of unecessary crap just before the end of the fiscal year so as to use up their entire budget.
Conversely, they should always make sure that they put the right part number on the order form. A friend who worked in the Quartermaster's Office at an Army base in Colorado Springs tried to order toilet paper for the entire base and ended up with a battleship anchor. Seems that not only do the Armed Forces all use the same distributing department, but they don't check their orders with their locales. Fortunately, there was a Navy Quartermaster out there with a surplus of toilet paper.
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Something for me to keep in mind. No promises... but I'll keep it in mind.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Conversely, they should always make sure that they put the right part number on the order form. A friend who worked in the Quartermaster's Office at an Army base in Colorado Springs tried to order toilet paper for the entire base and ended up with a battleship anchor. Seems that not only do the Armed Forces all use the same distributing department, but they don't check their orders with their locales. Fortunately, there was a Navy Quartermaster out there with a surplus of toilet paper.
What's really frightening is that they *DO* have battleship anchors in the supply chain still, seeing as how they mothballed the last of them over 10 years ago!"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

NO QUARTER!!!

cpt kangarooski

Quote:
What's really frightening is that they *DO* have battleship anchors in the supply chain still, seeing as how they mothballed the last of them over 10 years ago!
Really? I hate to ask, but how do the battleships stay in one spot without anchors? Wink
Well, lessee... Since they're all museum pieces now, they're moored to their homes with big honkin hawsers... ropes 1" plus in diameter. You only use the anchor if your out in the bay. Plus, given that Anchors are absotivly darn HUGE hunk's o metal, the chain tends to rust away before there's any sigificant damage to the anchor itself. Short form? about the only reason I could see for a BB ever needing a new anchor is if the chain parted, and since they never USE them anymore...."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

NO QUARTER!!!
Means they just might be thinking of still using them again...
www.usnfsa.org is a good place to check out. [Image: smile.gif]
It IS possible, and after some checking, I have found a reason why there would still be an Anchor in the inventory.
All of the BB class were scrapped after WWII with the exception of the IOWA class (BB61). 4 ships of this class were retained... The Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin and New Jersey. Iowa remains in the Fleet Reserve, Presently moored near Mares Island in San Francsico. The other three have been donated as museums.
BTW, here's an even better link for checking out status of naval vessels:
www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/
"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

NO QUARTER!!!
I have no objections to the battleship discussion, folks, but can we move it over to General Chatter? Thanks.

-- Bob
---------