Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Listen to the music XOR play the game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Register: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/12 ... ock_music/]Men! If you want to win at board games this Christmas, turn off the rock music – scientists

tl;dr: Guys suck at playing games if they're listening to heavy metal at the same time.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Thanks for clickbaiting me.  The game was a fiddly thing like Operation, and the song was "Thunderstruck".  That sounds like a recipe for disaster; just ask Doug Sangnoir.
The study offers no results on how playing metal will affect your performance in real board games, aka eurogames.
-- ∇×V
Happy to help.

They didn't say anything about females listening to metal while playing the game (or if they did, I missed it), so I'm wondering whether there's a sex-based difference or a bit of sensationalism in play.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Sensationalism or sexist bias in selecting the subject group.

The latter is not necessarily a bad thing, as it's another variable to account for if women weren't excluded from the study. A proper scientist will, of course, repeat the experiment, but this time with a female subject group.
Here is the actual journal article as published in the Medical Journal of Australia: http://www.mja.com.au/journal/2016/205 ... tending-be

The article is, unsurprisingly, much less bold in its claims. The finding is interesting, but is more primarily focused toward effects on hand-eye-coordination and distraction and cautions against generalising the finding to other situations.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI