Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Since I've been visiting my home town a lot the last few weeks...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
... here's something I've known about for years, but I don't think I ever posted about before.
http://www.google.com/maps/place/Lakeh ... !1e1?hl=en]A TARDIS in a back yard in my home town.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Looks like Rose is visiting as well 8P

(it's an EPU reference for those unsure what I mean)

Sadly, that streetview is almost four years old, and both the booth and the TARDIS are a bit faded and peeling now.
EDIT:  And the other thing is that there seem to be so many fewer trees in the town these days.  The other side of the street from the TARDIS was part of my walk to elementary school every morning, and I remember massive oak trees looming over it and shading it most of the way between the traffic light to the north and the school to the south.  They're all gone now and it looks so bare.  And the same goes for most of the rest of the town.  There were massive shade trees almost everywhere, but no more.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Too expensive to maintain, perhaps?
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
And the other thing is that there seem to be so many fewer trees in the town these days.  The other side of the street from the TARDIS was part of my walk to elementary school every morning, and I remember massive oak trees looming over it and shading it most of the way between the traffic light to the north and the school to the south.  They're all gone now and it looks so bare.  And the same goes for most of the rest of the town.  There were massive shade trees almost everywhere, but no more.
A few years ago, I went back to the parsonage where I lived from age 7 to 12.  I, too, remember big trees — in my case, two or three in the lawn next to the church.  Those trees are gone, and there're much smaller ones, some little more than large bushes.  We had a neighbor across the crossroads, an elderly fellow my sister and I visited all the time.  It's not surprising that he's no more, after more than forty-five years, but his farmhouse and outbuildings are completely gone too.  There's nothing where he lived but somebody else's fields — probably corn.  Damn, that was a depressing realization.
"You stupid people!  You're parking on my memories!"  — Snoopy goes "home" to the former Daisy Hill Puppy Farm
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
http://www.google.com/maps/@38.5434299 ... 56!6m1!1e1
But why didn't I run into Rose while I was at University?  That red phone booth was visible from my student association office.  It's there because it matched our buses -- back in the 1960s, the student association bought some double-decker buses from London, and started the city bus service.  Though by the time this photo was taken, we had converted them to run on CNG and sold them back to London at a profit.
-- ∇×V