Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A shell of a film with a shell of a plot.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just back from seeing the GiTS film.

It's well titled.

A ghost of a film with a shell of a plot, assembled from a mosaic of previous GiTS setpieces and sort of bodged together. Yep, that's from the movie. That's from SAC. More movie. More movie. GiTS soundtracks It has very few, if any, original ideas and those few it does manage to touch on it just sort of flags them up like doing the stations of the canon at mass without actually getting really to deep into them. It's like they squished the previous stuff through a meat machine, piked out the bones that held it up and turn it into sausage. It's very much generic GiTS product wrapped up in a shiny and stylish veneer.

The visuals in a lot of ways dither between overwrought and busy, to being spectacularly well realised. Especially in IMAX. It looks brilliant.

ScaJo manages maybe 2-3 good 'Major' moments, but it's Pilou Asbek and Beat Takeshi that get the best of it.

The most I can say is that it was innoffensive and forgettable. It existed and passed without pain and didn't really make a mess anywhere.

And left me with the lingering idea of taking Jet and A.C. from Fenspace to see it.... and record the resulting commentary.

I've not seen it myself, but you've convinced me that my nephew and I have it right...

Him: Dude... its like they totally dont get what GiTS was really about.

Me: No. to them its all Scarlett Johanson in an outfit thats little more than body paint kicking backsides and making grown men drool.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
I haven't seen it yet, but ...
Ghost in the Shell film might be the most disappointing live-action reboot ever
This was not a good review. 
Ars Wrote:But this pedestrian action movie looks nigh unbearable through the
lens of the original series. Every bit of social commentary and
science-fiction mystique that made the Japanese film and books so
stunning has been wrung dry. Respect for the viewer goes into
the garbage, replaced by an obnoxious, paint-by-numbers plot of good
versus evil. And while I went into my screening ready to laugh off
rumors of cast white-washing, I left the theater aghast at how blatantly
that issue figured in the final product.
So the film itself is a whitewashing of the original story, removing it from its social context.
Quote:But these [scenes] are so bizarrely disconnected from Sanders' version of the story that they look like they were filmed solely for the sake of this movie's trailers—to assure worried fans that they're in good hands. They're not.
Quote:It's like someone turned Gone with the Wind into a buddy-cop comedy starring Scarlett and Mammy. This reboot couldn't have missed the point harder.
Honestly, I couldn't have cared less about the ScarJo casting.  The point is the tension between body and identity, at least in the original work.  But here the tension seems to be between plot and lack thereof.
-- ∇×V
Oh, dear.

I think I'll save my money, barring a review that disagrees with what's been posted above.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I hate to say I told you so...

....but I told you so.

Anytime a film gets whitewashed with a big name actor like ScarJo (especially where sex appeal and ass kicking are big attractions) you can expect the plot and/or the screenwriting writing to be absolute shit... or, even worse, simply be an utterly pale and vapid imitation of the original like this one was.

IF the producers had honestly CARED... then they would not have cast ScarJo. Instead, they would have cast someone who was, if not Japanese, then could at least pass for it, with the primary concern being, "Can this person legitimately portray this character?" I'm sorry, but as good as ScarJo was as Black Widow and Lucy, she is still not The Major. And this was certainly not Ghost in the Shell.
ssh ghost@theshell.xyz
-- ∇×V