Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A bad day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nothing is different from yesterday, except everything is awful. Why?
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
It just happens, trust me.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
That's undeniably true, unfortunately. I slept some more and feel at least somewhat better, so that much is good I guess. Sorry about dropping that one out of the blue when I haven't even been that active here lately.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
If tomorrow is another awful day, don't be afraid to talk about it with somebody. Even if that somebody is us.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Your scaring me MD. Cause its like I'm THERE, when I know I'm here.

However, all jokes aside, anytime you need to talk, I'm willing to listen
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Thanks Rob, Star - I do appreciate it. I hope you'll also forgive me for this one - it's not an "everything is awful" day, and really it's something incredibly old and petty, but...

Well, picture this. You're on the judge panel of a Halloween costume contest, and one of the oldest entrants parades up in front of you in a full-body suit made out of neon green fur with red on the front and legs, two extra pairs of big plastic eyes on the headpiece over the eyeholes in a green mask, and facepaint matching the red fur on the lower half of their face, and swishes three long brush-tipped tails at you on the turn around. This is no store-bought stuff, the kid and parents obviously went all out; it's looking like a lock for "Most Creative Costume" ... but what will you announce it as when it's time to give out the prizes?

a. Dunno, ask the kid
b. A... space alien?
c. A wonderwhat. Sure, the kid probably calls it something different, but it's a costume contest anyway, it'll just be a laugh line.
d. Big Bird.

I'm sure you can guess what actually happened by my emphasis, and I cannot believe that this is still bothering me thirty-ish years later, but it's the thing that got dredged up by the last bits of whatever I was dreaming and started me off in a bad mood today. Gaah! What kind of idiot sees green fur and thinks "Big Bird?" What kind of asshole thinks a kid old enough that this is probably their last Halloween in costume (and if it was planned that way I don't remember, but it sure fucking was after that contest "win") would dress as Big Bird?

Petty.

Stupid.

Still makes me angry thirty years later.

Gaah. I can only hope that putting this on display will let my stupid brain finally just let it go. Powers know there's next to nothing I actually want to remember in more than the most general terms from before I escaped high school, and it's one more grain in the "people are useless morons and the world is not worth dealing with" pile on those "everything is awful" days.
--
Yeah, that's something that the announcer really should have known better than to do.

That wasn't your fault. That was his fault.

And I hope mentioning it does pull that grain of sand off your mountain of shittiness. (We all have those mountains - it's part of what makes us human - but we can work together on making them smaller.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Elements and axioms, I hope so. And if anyone else has something they want to get off their chest, don't feel like this has to just be "my" thread or something - feel free.
--
..... I know this is late and all....

....But with Green and Red being mixed up for Yellow and White...

...Dude. That is colorblindness.

The whole freakin' family was colorblind!
The green I could maybe see, but the red was halfway-to-magenta intense, so it would be too dark to look white no matter what the hue was perceived as. That still leaves it with fur, no beak, six eyes, and lion tails rather than plumes. It's not impossible I suppose, but I wouldn't expect someone colorblind would be a judge for a visual art contest in the normal course of events. I honestly don't remember the details of who the judges were, probably whichever town officials had gotten saddled with arranging the Halloween party that year.
--