Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Whew. That Was A *Lot* Faster Than I Expected.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I put my mom's house on the market on Monday.

I just got a call from our realtor, who says we have two offers already -- and they're both very good.

If anyone here wants a house in Ocean County, NJ, now's probably your last chance to get an offer in.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Well, it's good that you're not going to have it sitting around, being a tax burden and maintenance time-sink to keep in salable condition. Eight years after the real estate crash one would hope so, but it's encouraging news on a more than personal level, I'd say.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Bob Schroeck Wrote:...
If anyone here wants a house in Ocean County, NJ, now's probably your last chance to get an offer in.
Sorry, the commute to work would be a bit too long for me...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Too late, anyway. We let them know we had two identical offers and asked for "highest and best" offer -- and one buyer offered something above what we were hoping to get. Next stage: contract and subsequent review by the lawyers.
-- Bob
---------
... and I realize I've said nothing since then. Let me just say, closing is on Saturday, and basically all that's left to do to prep Mom's house is fix the latch on the range and mow the lawn.
-- Bob
---------
Congrats!

Honestly, though, if it were me I would have seen about renting the place out. Set aside the income from the rent to go towards taxes (both property and income) as well as a budget for repairs and upgrades (ie: smart home systems)... The nice part is that you can probably afford to have everything done professionally.

Though knowing what homes go for up yonder.... you've probably pocketed quite a tidy sum, even after the realtor takes their little bit off the top. Again, congrats.
Thanks!

Oh, we did rent the place out, for a a year or so, until a few months ago. But even before Mom died, we were gearing up to sell it just to pay for her assisted living -- we'd already chosen the realtor a couple-three weeks before she died, and were having the place spruced up in preparation for listing it. Things went on hold for a couple weeks after she died, but at the suggestion of the lawyer we put it on the market even though the sprucing wasn't quite done.

And frankly, being a long-distance landlord was a bit more hassle than I liked.

But yeah, when all is said and done, come a week from today, we'll have a pretty penny.
-- Bob
---------
And right now I'm in a lawyer's office, waiting to do the closing on the house.
-- Bob
---------
I'm sure your lawyer has already mentioned your tax situation, correct?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Already covered, yes. In fact, I just got done reviewing the Inheritance Tax Return.
-- Bob
---------