Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Google ordered to hand over data stored on foreign servers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/2 ... mail_data/]According to this story on The Register
Quote:Google has been ordered by a US court to cough up people's private Gmail messages stored overseas – because if that information can be viewed stateside, it is subject to American search warrants, apparently.

Yes, I have a gmail account, but I don't use it for anything serious. My ISP stores my incoming and outgoing email in the same city that I live in.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I don't think some of these people realize the massive can of worms this is... the second it becomes absolutely the idea that if it can be accessed from anywhere, that everywhere has jurisdiction, we might as start having the internet cut up into regions with no access to each other. Because a lot of services will probably turn to geolocking in an effort to avoid having to obey disparate and incompatible laws from all over.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
I wouldn't be too surprised if governments start demanding from Google that they store any data of their citizens in their own borders and special authorization requirements for accessing Google provided services from across borders. Because that, apparently, is needed to keep the US from saying they've authority to demand access to private documents if the Microsoft case is anything to go by.
Quote:Hazard wrote:
I wouldn't be too surprised if governments start demanding from Google that they store any data of their citizens in their own borders and special authorization requirements for accessing Google provided services from across borders. Because that, apparently, is needed to keep the US from saying they've authority to demand access to private documents if the Microsoft case is anything to go by.
Again, pretty much it's asking for geolocking to become part of the culture, if you will. Even if it doesn't become government mandated in areas, in some cases it might make it easier when America comes knocking to just tell them to go away.
In fact, I would not be surprised if some internet companies decide that the risk of serving an imperialist has-been nation is just not worth whatever business they'd get.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Maybe this should be in the Politics forum?
That depends on whether you think privacy is political.
--
Rob Kelk

Privacy, and our right to it has always been political...

And something we all need to think about.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Simple solution: Google agrees to hand over the un-indexed distributed DB files. All million Terrabytes worth. Demands US government provide data storage for the files in advance.
"Not this again!" Minerva said. "Albus, it was You-Know-Who, not you, who marked Harry as his equal. There is no possible way that the prophecy could be talking about you!" - Harry Potter and the Method of Rationality, Chapter 84
Problems with that:

1) According to some reports (mentioned by Randall Munroe in either xkcd or What If?), the US Government already has exabytes of SAN space.

2) It doesn't take that long to crawl the data, relatively speaking. On the order of weeks, sure, but that's nothing compared to a manual data search.

3) If Google does that, then the US Government has some of my emails buried in that DB - and, since I'm Canadian, they have no legal reason to delete those emails once they're done.
--
Rob Kelk