Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Other WTF moments....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, we have ones for images, and news articles...
but not one for things like:

So, back on Friday Google obligingly put up their 'its your birthday' homepage.  And out of curiosity, I did some diging.

and found out that I share the same birthday as Sadam Hussein?!?!?  Well, Jessica Alba too, but the former was much more mind boggling.

So...  Who else?  Not just sort of birthday, but general WTF moments that dont have to do with images or news articles?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
For a period in the 90s, my friends and I all helped our former sci-fi club at college set up the gaming for the annual convention. It was fun, we were happy to help out, and it meant that we could all hang out for a weekend like we did in college. One friend developed a system for a Paranoia LARP, and for about 3 or 4 years, the convention had one on Saturday night (AggieCon, at Texas A&M, if you're curious). As the game-runners, we were the various NPCs, including the Briefing Officer, Head of R&D (Doctor Ivan-B-MAD, in most of the scenarios... well known for his popular game show, "Wheel of Symbiote"),  the High Programmers, and of course, the voice of Friend Computer. In one particular game - "The Adventures of James-B-OND-007: License to Treason" - the various players were Troubleshooters sent to "assist" elite Troubleshooter James-B-OND (so elite that he had seven clones instead of the usual six) with his mission (i.e., serve as ablative armor for him). Instead of the aforementioned Ivan-B-MAD, the R&D Officer for the briefing was Q-U-EUE (naturally). I was given that role, so it fell to me to assign experimental equipment to each team of Troubleshooters.
One of the things that the LARP designer did was give each team a theme and a weird team name, generally some esoteric word beginning with a corresponding letter of the alphabet (i.e., Team 1 was Team Apoplexia, Team 2 was Team Butyraceous, Team 3 was Team Callipygous, and so forth). Each team in License to Treason had a nominal association with espionage: one team's names were all founders of espionage agencies, one team's were all famous spy writers, and so forth. As I was walking around the briefing room, handing out experimental gear of the appropriate espionage theme - exploding cufflinks, a laser pen, the Thermonuclear Hand Grenade (I think we always had the Thermonuclear Hand Grenade; it was sort of tradition) - I came to the last team. Many of this team were friends who lived near the college and were attending rather than staffing, but were also hanging out. I stopped at the table where they were seated, took the index card with the name of the experimental device in hand and looked at my friends. They were all on the team named for all the other movie and television spies. The one sitting nearest to me was playing "Smart-R-MAX." "Well, Troubleshooter Smart-R-MAX," I said... and then I looked down at the card and saw that I was holding the Experimental Pedal Communication Slipper (i.e., the Shoe Phone). "Clearly, this must be yours!"
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Star Ranger4 Wrote:So...  Who else?  Not just sort of birthday, but general WTF moments that dont have to do with images or news articles?
According to Wikipedia, I share my birthday with Ferdinand von Zeppelin, Nelson Rockefeller ... and Kevin Bacon. (It's the day the Black Ships sailed into Tokyo Bay.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
heh. definatly less than six degrees of separation there, Rob
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Not just the day, but in the same year:  A school bus in Kentucky hits a wrecker truck and plunges down an embankment into a rain-swollen river. The driver and 26 children die in what remains one of the worst school bus accidents in U.S. history.  Ouch.
Further oddball fact:  I have a cousin — a first cousin, to the best of my knowledge — whom I've never met but who was born on the same day of the same year as I.  I was most likely told her name at some point in my early life, but I don't remember it.  

-----
No, it ISN'T what it is!
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
I share my birthday with my father-in-law, and a local club DJ.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
And now for the first time, I'm interested... turns out I share my birthday with (among others) Robert Asprin, Gilda Radner, Lalla "Romana 2" Ward, Alice "Borg Queen" Krige, John Cusack, Mary Stewart Masterson, and Elon Musk.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Well, just to join in the game, I apparently share a birthday with:

Tang Dynasty Emperor Tai Zong
John Hancock
Muzio Clementi
Saigou Takamori
John Browning
David Hilbert
Ernie Kovacs
Rutger Hauer
Richard Dean Anderson

On the day of my birth, Richard Nixon announced that a peace accord had been reached in Vietnam.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Hmm, using Wikipedia I share a birthday with:
* Supernova SN 1054 being spotted
* The opening of West Point
* The Republic of Hawaii
* Radio Free Europe
* Shogun Ashikaga Yoshiakira
* Nathaniel Hawthorne
* Giuseppe Garibaldi
* Calvin Coolage
* Ulysses S Grant III
* Rube Goldberg
* Richard Garriott
* Michael Sweet (got excited for a moment, then realized no the Girlfriend AMV video was done by Matthew Sweet)
* Gackt
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.
Whoah.

I was born September 28th... and apparently that's a really busy day in history, as I share the birthday with the following:
A VERY busy day.