Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: So we have a mini heatwave in NJ right now...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
90-some and humid yesterday, same today, but it should be gone by Saturday.   I guess this is the best time for us to discover that our central air conditioning has died.  Fortunately, our HVAC guy is available and will be taking care of it today.  Which he might not have been had it died in, say, July or August.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
We had or are expecting 30C highs yesterday and today in Ottawa, so I feel your steam-bath.

Tonight's forecast is thunderstorms, strong winds, possibility of hail, and a low of 8C. I'm not sure which is worse.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Just got a call from Peggy 15 minutes ago. We now have functioning air conditioning, and fewer dead mice in the compressor.

She was kind of vague about the specifics -- some kind of cylindrical component inside the compressor that was getting bulgy because the mice had nested on or around it; also the mice had nibbled some of the wiring. Said component had to be replaced, and the mice (all dead) swept out. Your guess is as good as mine just what this component was, and what the causal relationship between mice nestiture and its geometry actually was, but that was the message as transmitted to me.
-- Bob
---------
Just turned on my own AC last night. Need to change the furnace filter....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:... some kind of cylindrical component inside the compressor that was getting bulgy because the mice had nested on or around it; also the mice had nibbled some of the wiring. Said component had to be replaced, and the mice (all dead) swept out. Your guess is as good as mine just what this component was, ...
I'm guessing it wasn't the mousetrap.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
And to balance it all out, we have mid 30s and SNOW here in Denver.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
... some kind of cylindrical component inside the compressor that was getting bulgy because the mice had nested on or around it; also the mice had nibbled some of the wiring. Said component had to be replaced, and the mice (all dead) swept out. Your guess is as good as mine just what this component was, ...
I'm guessing it wasn't the mousetrap.
I'm inclined to agree.
I have informed Peggy, by the way, that for the rest of the summer I will request an increase in the air conditioning by telling her to fry a few more mice.
-- Bob
---------