Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: The Humphrey Bogart line - revealed!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
..well, okay, sort of. I remember the cartoon but I don't remember the name of it, curse my quirky memory.
Anyway...
The 'toon in question had Bugs wind up in Paris (via getting packed into a shipment of carrots from the States) and becoming the target of two rival French chefs. The usual antics enuse of course, until Bugs persuades Chef A (no, I don't remember the names) to let him demonstrate a secret bayou recipe for roast rabbit - using the chef as the rabbit.
Near the end of the sequence Chef B rushes in, mistakes Bugs for Chef A and tries to make off with the covered roastpan with the chef in it. Chef B lifts the lid, and we get our line:
Chef B: !
Chef A: You were expecting maybe Humphrey Bogart?
Explanations, demands and a pretty funny ending follow. I'm *pretty* sure this is a McKimson cartoon, maybe mid-50s, but don't quote me on that.
--
Mr. Fnord, making things more opaque since 1990
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
> Chef B: !
> Chef A: You were expecting maybe Humphrey Bogart?
Oh my god. That's it. That's exactly it. Now I just have to identify that particular cartoon...
"Mississippi back bay bayou bunny bordelaise, a la Antoine."
"Not Antoine of New Orleans?"
"I don't mean Antoine of Flatbush!"
"Already I am ze (hiccup) pickled!"
Mr. Fnord, thank you so much!

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
A little research reveals that the cartoon in question is probably "French Rarebit", from 1951. Thanks again! (Now I'm off to update the concordance once more!)
-- Bob
---------
All part of the service. My mind is like a steel.. um.. a steel... one of those things you set out in the woods to grab animals with?
--
Mr. Fnord, still has a better memory than Ronnie Reagan.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
>All part of the service. My mind is like a steel.. um.. a steel... one of those things you set out in the woods to grab animals with?-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Bugger. The answer to your question is "Post-It", Fnord.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
I can nuke that bungled post, if you want, Nathan.
-- Bob
(Mind like a steel sieve)
-- Bob
---------