Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Under the radar noticing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I just started reading this(years behind the curve, that's me. =P), but I figured I should finally get around to it. I mean, I have it on several
reliable sources that it's good, no?

Anyway, while reading this and discussing BGC in general with Spud(2032, 2040, Crash, and all the rest in this particular), I noticed something that made me
double take:

Quote: "Dis is shit," Roy spat. "I'm in da band because we's good,

dammit, we's good. We's good enough ta get rich doin' dis

shit, and we'd be goin' sum'ere and gettin' rich if she would

let us! Why? She coulda gone solo t'ree years ago! Dat agent

dumped us and almost made her an idol singer! But she came back

to da Reps! Why?"

Now, I'm fond of a certain villain by the name of Largo, but I'd gotten the heads up that
he wasn't part of this. No big deal, Quincy and Madigan are underutilized anyway. However, the boy is a plot tumor if you just try to ignore him.

However, for those few...."privileged" people that
got to see or heard of Bubblegum Crash, thereupon Largo made his expected comeback(what, you thought Leon's
handgun could take him out? Not a chance) and was promptly reduced to vapor in the final battle with Sylia. End of story. Another plot point introduced in
Crash is that of Priss's travails with her agent, who's trying to make her an idol singer. It doesn't
work out, obviously. The rest of Crash's....quality...is up for debate, but there were some good points, and the
above portion of dialogue could(assuming it's intentional) reference the work, eliminate Largo satisfactorily without leaving gaping plot holes, and do
it all without breaking out the exposition monologue. All in all, very, very slick.

Or it could be a total accident, in which case, hey, serendipity. =D
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
I simply point you at the post about the late review; and the point therein about Bob's ability to create a whole off screen flashback in your head with a
single sentance.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Yeah, having actually had time to read further in, the references get a lot more obvious(Linna's shock cables are one notable mention, as well as others),
but yeah. That's hitting the nail on the head, I think.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
It was indeed a deliberate reference to Crash. I've got a few notes about things like that in the Concordance.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Heh. Yeah. I remember having some mildly heated, but polite discussions with Bob on "are you actually including THIS design element from WHERE?" type
of things. Mostly in regards to the hardsuits. The discussion may even still be in the archives here somewhere. That was back before I was even a pre-reader,
some...

(checks calender, starts going into shock)

TEN. FREAKING. YEARS!

AAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIII!!!!!!

(Goes screaming off into the wilderness...)
You were there from the beginning, Logan? I'll admit I don't remember that...
-- Bob
---------
*practices minor necromancy, gets undead hamster*

So, finished this, and one of the major notes that occurred to me, having done so(vaguely related to the topic at hand) is that for the first time....Bubblegum
Crash kind of works.

I admit, I've read summaries, but never really seen the thing, and having completed this, I simply couldn't help but realize that DW2 salvaged the main
parts of Crash worth saving (Sylia's advancement in characterization and Largo's final death, primarily) while ignoring the....rather bizarre oddities
(Priss and Linna quitting the Knight Sabers because they "aren't needed anymore", Linna's bizarre "thing" she had with Leon during
the series, the total absence of GENOM in the plot, even in a single reference). And it doesn't do it by rewriting the timeline or anything like that....it
just....ignores them and lets you fill in the details yourself.

Entirely off topic, I picked up from my stopping place this evening(Chapter 9) at about 8PM.

It is now 6:45AM and I'm all the way done reading this thing.

I haven't marathoned a series to that degree since I read through the first Symphony over at Eyrie when I first got into UF.

(Holy shit, the sun finished rising about an hour ago....)

So, uh, yeah. Kudos? *collapses*
---
waste."
Quote:And it doesn't do it by rewriting the timeline or anything like that....it just....ignores them and lets you fill in the details yourself.
Really, I just picked fun details that made for interesting backstory, that's all.
Quote: haven't marathoned a series to that degree since I read through the first Symphony over at Eyrie when I first got into UF.
I'm honored.
Quote:So, uh, yeah. Kudos?
Thank you.
-- Bob
---------