Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
(06-03-2018, 04:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]I just noticed that {{website}} does not put a Wikipedia link on the pages where it's used.

Good point.  I've gone in and done a dirty hack to {{website}} to correct that, basically by cloning the {{trope}} template.  Once I figure out where the lua code for Subpages is located, I'll see if I can puzzle it out enough to add an actual website type and do it properly.
I don't know whether to be annoyed or amused. The anonymous user at 2601:1c2:1702:4fd0:51f1:9d87:c023:a12d appears to be yet another instance of Jason taylor -- they've got taylor's distinctive use of parentheses -- but if it is, he's starting to improve his act a bit, because his contributions are less of a sold wall of run-on garble. So I don't know whether to passively encourage him by letting him continue to contribute, or punish the continued game-playing.

ETA: And someone needs to sit down with the user at 115.70.44.117 and explain to him that you don't have the save the page after every individual cut and paste action. He made 63 separate edits to Warcraft/Nightmare Fuel overnight, which could have all been a single edit. I'm going to partially protect it just to keep further overediting from happening, and if I see this IP do the same on another page I'm going to tempban them to get their attention.
I'd err on punishing the continued game playing. If only because he refused to get the hint in a reasonable amount of time regarding the initial notifications.
Agreed with JFerio. We've drawn our line; we have to hold to it.
(06-06-2018, 08:18 AM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed with JFerio. We've drawn our line; we have to hold to it.

Okay, then, will do.
I thought I knew how to use DPL3... <sigh>

Here's my best use of DPL3 over on the freebie wiki. It does the job.

Here's 3dOutlaw's experiments with DPL3, on the same wiki. That's more than something that just "does the job".

We need to start making better use of DPL3 on ATT.
Hm. First thing I'd need to do is read up on exactly what DPL3 is and what it does.
"Dynamic Page List", if I recall correctly. It goes through the database and presents a list of pages that match particular search criteria - pages that do or do not have particular categories, or links to particular sites, or a few other things.

The nice thing is that one can define up to four search criteria. The not-so-nice thing is that it doesn't accept user input; one has to "hard-code" the search. (But if you want to find, for example, all pages Banned on TV Tropes that link to imdb.com, or all Stubs about Musicians, DPL can do that for you.)

EDIT: Two more examples are on my ATT sandbox page - 'Pages in category "No Real Life Examples, Please" that do not use the template "noreallife"' and 'Pages in category "Death Tropes" that do not use the template "deathtrope"'
Template:Supertrope list is my example of DPL.  Looks like no one has been clearing out Category:Index lately.

Here's the manual for DPL3
I have a confession to make:

One of the reasons I've always been so "let's add more features to ATT" is because I figured there we so many things we could do better technically than TV Tropes.

Here's an example:

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...id=1576290

On TV Tropes, since this is a multi-game series with many of the same characters with different appearances in each game, every time there is new game they post a character image of the latest appearance and chuck the old ones out.

That's asinine since they cover tropes concerning appearance changes between games, so I figured there had to be a way to have images of their primary appearances from all titles they appear in on one page that was easy to view without needing a character image gallery.

Hence the above.

The result can be seen here, and I think it works nicely for our purposes:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Dynasty_Wa...rs#Cao_Cao
(06-01-2018, 12:15 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Jason taylor's tempban expired a bit under an hour ago.  I have posted a "reply or else" message on his user talk page, noting he has 167 hours left before permanent banning goes into effect.  How much want to bet that if he replies at all he waits until the very last minute?  He strikes me as just the kind to do that.

Well.  I was seriously expecting him to wait for the last hour, but he surprised me by acting at the 23-hour point instead.  Of course, marking the thread where we warned him as "resolved" really wasn't the best way to go about it, but I reopened it and gave him a final warning and he actually wrote a reply.  Of course, he claimed he only just now had discovered his talk page, which of course is bull, but I'm a merciful soul and he did respond before the deadline, so I gave him his final chance notice, along with a list of things we want him to improve on, plus just a little bit of snark.  Let's see if he's willing to actually try improving his game.

ETA: And I just got a new membership request for the board, and a quick Google search on the email address provided turns up pages where the name "Jason" is associated with it. Guess who...
(06-07-2018, 02:07 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]...
ETA:  And I just got a new membership request for the board, and a quick Google search on the email address provided turns up pages where the name "Jason" is associated with it.  Guess who...

Your board, your call. I'd be surprised if he shows interest in what we discuss here (outside of this thread), though.
If it is in fact him. There's no guarantee. I sent my usual "answer this to prove you're not a spammer" email to take care of the next line of defense after the antispammer tools built into the registration system (which are far more than my idiosyncratic security questions). If it is in fact him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It's not like I can't kick him if he turns out to be toxic.
Note to self: In the future, when editing articles on the wiki, do not misspell "City of Heroes" as "City of Herpes".
(06-07-2018, 03:40 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]If it is in fact him.  There's no guarantee.  I sent my usual "answer this to prove you're not a spammer" email to take care of the next line of defense after the antispammer tools built into the registration system (which are far more than my idiosyncratic security questions).  If it is in fact him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  It's not like I can't kick him if he turns out to be toxic.

It's not Jason taylor.  It's someone from the old boards, but I don't know yet what handle he used there.  He's been approved.
I finally turned on RandomSelection on the freebie wiki. So far, it's implemented on one main space page, where there's a random image and link to a freebie.
Just noticed this page on Wikivoyage about accessibility and screen readers. I propose making this policy on ATT. Thoughts, before I post the proposal to the Forum?

EDIT: I just noticed that it will take a lot of work just to get us to level A compliance. Every instance of [[File:example.jpg|frame]] will need to be changed to [[File:example.jpg|thumb|description of example.jpg]] in order to make the pages friendly to screen readers.
This is the type of rights change I like making... "Jordan D" has had an ATT account for less than two weeks, and has consistently made high-quality edits. I just promoted the account to Autopatrolled.
Oh my God.

Because of constant loss of session data that didn't let me edit, I logged out, but now I can't log in and it shows me this message every time:

Quote:There seems to be a problem with your login session; this action has been canceled as a precaution against session hijacking. Please resubmit the form.

Edit: So this explains the login problem:
Quote:In under 15 minutes (16:20 UTC) we will be doing some maintenance on our servers due to issues. You may experence login issues or performance issues.

(Edit by Bob: change font on the second quote to something readable for those of us using San Felix.)
This might be related to whatever they did -- since I had to deal with my own login issues, I've noted that the "Troping Utilities", "Troper Social Networks" and "Tools" submenus in the left-hand menu bar don't open any more.
Those lovely, lovely 502s, 503s and 504s are back and look like they're settling in to stay.
(06-19-2018, 11:21 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Those lovely, lovely 502s, 503s and 504s are back and look like they're settling in to stay.

Side effect of the upgrade, sadly.

It should pass once they have everything synced up again.
(06-26-2018, 05:15 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]We have an excellent question that I wish we'd get more often - but I can't answer at the moment

Left an answer, might not hurt to establish a new subforum for helping people with their grammar.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12