Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Thanks, Geth.
(06-26-2018, 09:22 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, Geth.

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...m&forum=35

Our new forum.

If someone wants to make a thread where we can list resources for writing and grammar improvement, I'll be happy to sticky it.
Thread started, with one link.
I just dropped a link to my fic writer's guide into that thread, but yeah, you're right -- we do need some kind of central place for giving grammar help and listing resources for those who for whatever reason don't want to actually ask for help.
Who knew there were so many style guides available online? (Including Strunk's and Chicago.)
I have a request: I need a few bot jobs done since mine seems to be messed up for some reason:

We have a new {{Heartwarming}} template that needs added to all pages in that category we currently have. We also need one tailored for similar pages created and added to all existing subpages that don't have one (Funny, Awesome, and others aside from Darth and Sugar Wiki) and updates made to the boilerplates to autotag them on new pages.

It's another thing we can do keep up with and do better what TV Tropes does, and speaking of them, their site usability is HORRIBLE due to the new update, and while I wish them the best in getting the bugs fixed, I'm sure we can do better with our site in the meantime.
When it comes to coding, I'm a decent documenter... so all I can do to help is make a DPL list of the first 500 pages that need the template. Since there are over 3,000 pages in Category:Heartwarming, the bot would need to be run and the list purged/updated a half-dozen times to catch them all.
Did the wiki just go down? I'm unable to reach it, and oddly, downforeveryoneorjustme.com is also unreachable, although I can obviously reach the forums, and Google is happy to give me results.

Edit: I should mention I got hit with 503s for almost half an hour, about an hour back...

Edit 2: This continues to be weird. Meta.Miraheze.org is unreachable. The Wayback Machine is also unavailable, same error. I tried switching browsers to IE, and it claims all these sites have security issues:
Quote:Can’t connect securely to this page
This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner.

FINAL EDIT: Not the wiki. Turns out Comcast is monumentally borked all over the US, and it's messing everything up.
https://dnslookup.org/ says allthetropes.org is at 107.191.126.23
Don't know whether that helps.
503s on the freebie wiki. Tweet copied onto the 503 page says RamNode is being DDoS'd
Didn't we used to have links listed under the sidebar headings "Troping Utilities", "Troper Social Networks", and "Tools"?

Or are they still there but you need a browser add-on that I don't have installed either at home or at work to be able to get at them?

And a possibly-related question: How does somebody get to the forum?
"Uploads are currently disabled as we are currently migrating to swift for uploads. We appologize for any inconvenience."

Was this announced anywhere ahead of time?

If I had known about this, I wouldn't have announced an upload party on the freebie wiki...
So... we've lost all access to images now? The hell is going on?
Images appear to be back.
It's happening again.
"We are currently adding a new node to increase storage. This may take a while. You may notice images not showing. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this."

(And I've pushed the end of the freebie wiki's current "make and upload images" event back to August 3 to make up for the inconvenience there.)
In an irony of ironies, I have been plagiarized on TV Tropes

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/V...Wastelands

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Tale_of_Two_Wastelands

Mine is older, and the TV Tropes version has text identical, word for word, from mine.

Check the earliest recorded edits, it's a practical copypasta:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_hist...Wastelands

I have submitted a complaint about this to their staff, I expect this will be handled amicably.
Not the first time someone copied us to them -- I recall one of my articles got cut'n'pasted a year or two back. I like to think it means we're serious competition despite our much smaller userbase.
(07-10-2018, 08:11 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Not the first time someone copied us to them -- I recall one of my articles got cut'n'pasted a year or two back.  I like to think it means we're serious competition despite our much smaller userbase.

Small update:

I posted, with the approval of a moderator, to their thread for cleaning up plagiarism, and I got this crap:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?di...omment-247

I submitted what I believe to be a reasonable response and have even generously offered to forgive and allow reuse of my plagiarised content so long as they link back to the original for attribution purposes.

I have also submitted the following request to their moderation, as I want the lie we are thieves definitively put to bed:

This is something I admit irks me.

Fast Eddie spread the false belief we were thieves and unfortunately, that lie has been allowed to spread, with results you see here:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=14727740310A09919300&page=10#comment-247[Image: external_link.gif]

While I have every intention of honoring the wishes of site staff here and otherwise remaining silent on this matter except when I had to (the mere act of posting in that thread), I would request this baseless lie we are complicit thieves (a fact we established to be false in a legal agreement we worked out with Drew himself) be put to rest for everyone here. I even had Wikia torch the original Tropes Wiki they had and reconstitute it with completely legal to reuse under CC BY SA content, with attribution duly provided to here in the edit history to prove we reused from the date it was still legal to do so under CC BY SA.

Our Miraheze fork is licensed the same way and we did the same there to avoid any impropriety, and I take immense offense your site has been allowed to believe we have violated any laws, which we have consulted actual lawyers about and worked out with your current owner (a lawyer himself), who concurs we stayed on the straight and narrow insofar as we possibly could.

Based solely on what is presented above, it appears to me that you have grounds to sue Fast Eddie for defamation of character, if not libel. Mind you, I am not a lawyer.

EDIT: Just in case, I've saved a copy of the relevant post in the Wayback Machine.
Fighteer did clarify the true state of things in that thread, I see, and we got something like an apology from the user in question. Still, it must have burnt Fighteer's butt to have to make that post, given some of his past rhetoric (not to mention he was the one responsible for the illegal universal rights grab TVT had going for a few years).
(07-11-2018, 10:17 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Fighteer did clarify the true state of things in that thread, I see, and we got something like an apology from the user in question.  Still, it must have burnt Fighteer's butt to have to make that post, given some of his past rhetoric (not to mention he was the one responsible for the illegal universal rights grab TVT had going for a few years).

Given Fighteer had the integrity to do the right thing and willingly fell on a sword to clarify we are innocent of any crimes, I for one will just be grateful he had the honor to do so.

It also seems my copyright will be respected either by cutting the page or accepting my offer to forgive the faux pas and allowing it to stay with proper attribution, either means is satisfactory.
Sorry, I have a bit of a personal grudge against Fighteer.
(07-11-2018, 04:34 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, I have a bit of a personal grudge against Fighteer.

Fair enough, can't say I'm an overwhelming fan of a lot of his decisions, admitted as much to him.
Back to our wiki, if I may.

I've been sorting the examples in Completely Different Title all evening, and I'm still not done. (The German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish sections still need to be sorted - if somebody else wants to get to them before me, I won't complain. There's a reason I left these sections for last... they're big.)

EDIT: Down to just Portuguese and Russian as of midday Thursday, plus that one French example. Maybe this'll be done by tomorrow.

There's one example in the French section that I don't know where to sort: "Street Smart was simply named La Rue (The Street)." "Street Smart" links to the trope. Wikipedia tells me there are at least three different works with that name; a film, a TV series, and a video game. Does anybody happen to know which one this is?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12