Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Sana considered dangerous
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Ace Dreamer

OK...
As per recomendations I have read the first manga "Kodocha", and may watch the first anime episode or two.
On the basis of reading the manga, I am not sure that I am happy with Doug interacting with that world.
Sure, there are some funny bits (hairdos and chipmunks), but I really don't like the school society shown (reminds me a bit too much of the "fun" I had with bullies in schools, and the seeming inability of anyone to do anything about it).
Also there are overtones in the author's side-panels that set off at least faint alarm bells in my head, to do with where she got her characters from, and how she handles them. It sounds... unhealthy.
I can see what Doug might do, or how he might join the list of adults manipulated by Sana, "for their own good", but I am not sure I am happy with this.
Am I the only one who feels unsure/uncertain about this?
Or, should I invest in a load more therapy sessions! [grin]
Maybe the lack of high tech or magic, or a style of humour that I am happy with, in Sana's world has something to do with it...
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
You really should see the anime, on which I'm basing the fic. I've read the first volume of the manga, and the tone is very different. In the manga, Miho Obana has blended light drama with a leavening of comedy. In the anime, the mix is the other way around -- it's an almost slapstick comedy through which is occasionally woven a somewhat more dramatic story line. Which is very odd, because the overall plots -- at least as far as the end of volume 1 of the manga, which is all I've seen so far -- are almost identical!
Sana is far, far more hyper in the anime than the manga, and that's a major component in the variance. A large number of almost surreal elements have been blended in, not the least of which is Babbit, the albino bat narrator/greek chorus who takes the place of Miho Obana's authorial notes and ramblings without ever once sounding like her, and who can't seem to decide whether he's inside the story or not. Characters have been broadened or even added -- for example, Mama acts like a major nutcase ("acts" being the pivotal word here), and I don't remember seeing the weeping live-in editor in the manga. Oh, and Miho Obana herself appears in almost every episode, always uttering the immortal line "Uh, um..."
I could go on for a while, but I won't. Don't judge the anime by the manga. They tell the same story, but they tell it in two completely different ways.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote:
Babbit, the albino bat narrator/greek chorus who takes the place of Miho Obana's authorial notes and ramblings
I got this image of Bartok from Don Bluth's "Anastasia" doing the opening to "The Odyssey." "Come, Muse, and tell me of that most wondrous Japanese anime character Sana ...."
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
(Now Entering a Free-Association Zone. Beware of Falling Nonsequiturs.)
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
::twitch::
::twitchtwitchtwich::
Warning: Brain.sys has become corrupted or no longer exists.
(A)bort (R)etry (F)all into a Coma??"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Quote:
I got this image of Bartok from Don Bluth's "Anastasia" doing the opening to "The Odyssey." "Come, Muse, and tell me of that most wondrous Japanese anime character Sana ...."
He's not quite that bad, at least not in that particular way. I really can't explain Babbit, you just have to experience him. For a very vague idea, you can check out a couple of pages I just googled up:
www.angelfire.com/anime2/...abbit.html
www.geocities.com/Area51/...abbit.html
celesstar.osiriscomm.com/...o/bab.html

-- Bob
---------

Murmur the Fallen

The fact that there can be as many as three Babbits at once, all talking to each other doesn't help.
And he always shows up as a sort of eponymous corporate logo.
-murmur
who just loves it when the characters go into a game show about their show. KNO did this and so did Excel Saga.
Yeah, between his relatives (I remember the American Babbit quite well -- Helen was laughing at his stereotyped American accent) and his apparent ability to duplicate himself, you can run into quite a few Babbits. A good example is the veritable army of them that appears at one point in the second season opening credits.

-- Bob
---------