Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Looking for examples of recursive fanfiction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So over on the mastodon* server I hang out on a question was bumped over to me. The original question was, "has anyone ever made a fanfiction of a fanfiction. To which a reference was made to I believe the delightfully tangled interlocking web of Terraverse stories over on Twisting the Hellmouth. Which had the question raised to, "Then... has someone ever made a fanfiction of a fanfiction of a fanfiction? [Image: 98b6aedb3b5b0eaa.png]"

Now the Terraverse is the most immediate example I can think to point to as there's the original crossover Diane wrote, and it's sequel, and the stories those inspired, which have in turn inspired others who are writing in the multiverse Diane started. But does anyone have any other examples of this kind of thing happening?

*If you're wondering I hang out on Tootplanet.Space which is no longer an Under 100 Users server but still has that Small Server comfy feeling even if I don't know everyone on it from other sites.
The Dreaming of Sunshine forums:
https://www.fanfiction.net/forum/We-re-a...ne/180237/

People write a lot of fanfics based on Dreaming of Sunshine, and others write their own fanfic based on those fanfics.

You could probably also count the various "The Bet" fics started by Metroanime. He and a bunch of others made their stories based on his The Bet challenge, then people started referencing those stories in other stories.
On Spacebattles, there's The Intern and The Deputy and The Emissary in the Worm subforum of CrWr (and now a sequel to The Deputy IIRC,) and also (I think it was) Crouching Tiger and Crouching Tiger Goes to Prison, the latter of which grew out of an omake to the former.

And of course there's a few ficfics for Drunkard's Walk that have been posted here.
(06-07-2018, 07:52 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: [ -> ]And of course there's a few ficfics for Drunkard's Walk that have been posted here.

Which you can find here. Plus there's the NanoSteps that I didn't write, but I don't think most of them are long enough to count.
*cough* https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Recursive_Fanfiction *cough*

Then there are whole series that are essentially fanfic of public domain works, like Haiyore! Nyaruko-san or the musical Wicked. Anything based on them is automatically ficfic.
And thanks to that All the Tropes link, I found the one I thought of as soon as a read the OP, and couldn't remember by the time I got to the reply box yesterday, "Fallout Equestria," and its various sequels and side stories.
I'm surprised that no one has included Undocumented Features As a Recursive Fanfic.

Oh, Wait... I just did.
And now, we have a couple of fanfictions of Batzuler's Cross Purposes fanfiction.
Blew my mind.