Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: For Sale: One Chekhov's gun, never fired
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I spent last weekend reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, which is rather good if you don't mind extremely OOC!Harry and secular humanism. I managed to get myself through it in 4 days, so I really do mean "spent last weekend".

I noticed one thing while I was reading it: Grindelwald is alive, and was throughout nearly the entire story.  He's there basically to be killed in canon book 7, but in HPMoR he's mentioned once at the end of the first act, and then mostly ignored.  And now I'm thinking, gosh, maybe another fic writer can think of something to do with him.  (I haven't read all that much Potterfic, so maybe someone has already?)

The other, related question is what Doug will think of the Dementors once he actually puts together what Azkaban is.  Yudkowsky's story asserts that Grindelwald was not guarded by dementors, and that seems most likely to be case in canon, because something something Bayes.  Doug's Homeline has some way of keeping magical prisoners without torture, right?

DW8-1 Wrote:During Sirius's half of the conversation I learned about Dementors, the prison's guards. They sounded like a variety of undead not unlike the wraiths we occasionally ran across back home, and I decided that I did not want to encounter one.
Well, okay, if you spell that out that clearly, I guess we'll get to find out!
IIR canon correctly, Azkaban is a uniquely British phenomenon. Dementors seem to only be found in Britain, and the British magical government somehow made a deal with them to keep them fed in Azkaban so they won't leave their island and rampage around.
Other countries must have their own arrangements for dealing with criminals. We saw that Grindewald was in a prison in Germany (reasonable, because that is where he waged war, not in Britain), but got no details about how that prison works.
(07-22-2018, 06:58 PM)nemonowan Wrote: [ -> ]We saw that Grindewald was in a prison in Germany (reasonable, because that is where he waged war, not in Britain), but got no details about how that prison works.

The (relevant) film of Deathly Hallows didn't (IIRC) go into this level of detail, but the book establishes that Nurmengard, where he was imprisoned alone, had formerly been his headquarters. (That's why my wizard-rock band, if I ever attempt one, will be called Nurmengard Ballet.)