Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Wildfire does some archaeological work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Modern archaeology that is.

AP: Wildfire uncovers lost WWII sign on Bray Head
If they had've been smart they could've put a matching sign on Holyhad and watched the pilots fly in circles thinking they were flying in circles.
So that thing my teachers told me about nations not actually being labelled on the ground like they are on a map was a lie too, huh? Tongue
No, just a generalization.
Considering the use of aerial photos of parch marks due to drought to find buried ruins on Time Team, it seems that disasters can make archaeology easier. Not a good reason to want more of them, however.
In 1978, a wiseacre in Milwaukee decided to add an extra touch of confusion for passengers on planes about to land at Mitchell Field.  On the roof of his studio near the airport approach, he painted in large block letters the friendly message Welcome to Cleveland.

-----
Considering that one dictionary definition of "carry on" is to "behave or speak in a foolish, excited, or improper manner," the designers of that famous poster, "Keep Calm and Carry On," need to make up their flippin' minds! 
(08-08-2018, 05:16 PM)DHBirr Wrote: [ -> ]In 1978, a wiseacre in Milwaukee decided to add an extra touch of confusion for passengers on planes about to land at Mitchell Field.  On the roof of his studio near the airport approach, he painted in large block letters the friendly message Welcome to Cleveland.

-----
Considering that one dictionary definition of "carry on" is to "behave or speak in a foolish, excited, or improper manner," the designers of that famous poster, "Keep Calm and Carry On," need to make up their flippin' minds! 

To my knowledge, that message is still there.
The linked article has a recent (2015) photo of it, and mentions that he repaints it every six years or so.