Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A Teaser from Chapter 5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"You do not understand, human.  You no longer live your life
according to the dictates of Destiny.  You have been touched by
the Fates -- you are an *adjunct* to them, their agent and
antithesis both, whether you know it or not."

This fine October night I had barely gotten to the meadow where I 
usually did my surveillance summonings when -- finally! -- one of 
the stalker centaurs left the Forbidden Forest and galloped up to 
me.  But instead of greeting me, introducing himself or otherwise 
being anything *close* to social, he instead started raking me 
over the coals because I somehow messed up their astrological 
calculations.  Apparently my gravitic mass was sufficient to sway 
the stars and planets from their usual courses and send them 
dancing willy-nilly across the sky in ways that deeply offended 
the centaurs.

Naturally I called bullshit on this silliness.  Oddly, this did
not endear me to the as-yet-unidentified Greco-Roman hexapod.  In
response he instead began to lecture me on why my very existence 
was an insult to any right-thinking seer of the future.

I heroically restrained myself from rolling my eyes as he worked
himself up to the point that I had to step back to avoid being 
showered in humanoequine spittle.

"Your very presence destroys Destiny, breaks Fate, changes 
what-must-be to what-you-need as the world around you dances to 
the tune you play," the centaur growled, clenching his fists and
stomping with one front hoof as if to punctuate the seriousness
of his accusation.  I yawned at the theatrics.  "You may have 
once been a normal wizard," he continued, "but no more.  Your 
every movement is infused with the energies of Fate."

I snorted.  "I *beg* your pardon, Trigger!  I was *never* a 
'normal' wizard.  And for your information, I haven't been 
*touched* by Fate -- I've been *kissed*."  I stopped and 
reconsidered.  "Well, four kisses and a handshake."
I must call horsefeathers — oh, wait; that's pegasi, not centaurs — to the notion that there's any such thing as a "right-thinking seer of the future."

In the words of A. Merritt's Snake Mother (probably the most adorable lamia in all of 20th-century fiction): 

Quote:"Well," said the Serpent-woman, practically, "I am glad I cannot read the future.  If it is to be war, I have no desire to be weakened by knowing I am going to lose.  Nor to be bored by knowing I am going to win.  If one must exert oneself to such a degree as such war promises, one is surely entitled to the interest of uncertainty."

"Trigger" is hilarious.  "Mr. Ed" would've been good, too.
-----
"Oh, my people had many gods. There was Conformity, and Authority, and Expense Account, and Opinion. And there was Status, whose symbols were many, and who rode in the great chariot Cadillac, which was almost a god itself. And there was Atombomb, the dread destroyer, who would some day come to end the world." — Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, H. Beam Piper
Also, I think this centaur, if he tries to actually force the issue, will realise he just pissed off a bunch of actual gods that he just tried to tell what to do according to his wishes rather than theirs.

Sure, the Norns are a lot nicer in the universe he met them than they are on the average, but that only makes it worse. For the centaur.
"I don't care if your Secretariat himself tells me to stop interfering with fate, I must say neigh!"
(10-24-2018, 12:05 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]"Your very presence destroys Destiny, breaks Fate, changes 
what-must-be to what-you-need as the world around you dances to 
the tune you play," the centaur growled,

Remind me never to let Doug into an In Nomine setting. Yves (Archangel of Destiny), Kronos (Demon Prince of Fate), and Lilith (Princess of Freedom) would all get upset with him while he interferes with all of their plans...

(Alternate and silly comment: If Doug breaks Fate, he'll have to watch out for Nanoha. Smile )
(Alternate and silly comment: If Doug breaks Fate, he'll have to watch out for Nanoha. Smile )

More like a blue screen of death for a bit and one hell of headache after that trying to deal with dougs action and being overall.
Given Doug's general background and the directions he's apt to be pointing when he (as I believe it was described during the initial misunderstanding with the Norns) "goes from zero to asshole in seconds," he'd be far more likely to break either Presea for turning Fate into a soldier who fights with all the intensity of a child desperate for the love of a parent, or Arf for allowing it as an apparently adult accomplice/mentor figure.

And let's be honest, all of us would cheer if it was Presea. If there's anyone in the setting who deserves a solid Snorching...

... well, it's probably a toss-up between her, Jail, and Quatro, but still.