Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Happy Solstice, one and all!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The first day of winter is looking record-breakingly warm and rather wet down here in the Bridgewater Triangle, but today it is.
It's also warm in Ottawa - we have plenty of rain today.

Happy day, everyone!
60 degrees F here right now, and the rain has stopped -- which means that tonight's Yule celebration around our new firepit will go off pretty well, I think.
40-ish Fahrenheit here in the Water Winter Wonderland, aka Michigan, which by its existence justifies tolerating the existence of the other (and by definition lesser) United States.  Skies are gray, rain expected.  

Forty-plus years ago, when I was growing up and dinosaurs walked the Earth, a "white Christmas" here was a basic assumption, and snow often closed schools.  I have a vivid memory from seventh or eighth grade of a street becoming so icy and slick that the school bus, having halted to take a kid on, couldn't get moving again.  The driver called in to report that we were trapped in that suburb, and the dispatcher, who either had LOTS of similar reports coming in or was enjoying too much Irish coffee, replied, "OK, fine, thanks!"
-----
“We’ve had our differences, but he’s seen the light … and I made sure he moved toward it, instead of coming back.”
Heh, I can remember being able to walk from the snow banks onto the roof of the porch, and the school bus sliding on past down the hill when it tried to stop one time. The stop was changed to the next house down, where the hill tapered off to nearly flat, the next day. At the time it was hilarious, but as an adult I can only sympathize with the driver who had to have been freaking right the heck out with a whole busload of kids skidding out of control...
way south of all of you and i have frost on the ground, dont know the current temp yet though but its at least "chilly"
And our Yule guests have just left and we're cleaning up, and outside it's at best low 40s F with strong wind. The weekend was for the most part pleasant, if a bit overcast yesterday.