Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Feel the Need for Speed....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heatblur has just brough the F-14 Tomcat to Digital Combat Simulator

As a simulation it borders on indescribeable. It is meticulous in its recreation of the Tomcat - especially the twtchy and tricky low-speed handling. The simulation rattles and judders as you stress and maneuver the jet, and the weapons and systems work with all the clunkiness you'd expect of Mid-70's technolgy. Switches and controls in the cockpit need your attention. The Sim comes with an AI RIO pilot who's reasonably capable on his own and will work the Radar and weapons for you while you do that Pilot Shit.

And it definitely requires you do do that Pilot shit

There's still more to come - right now it's the relatively powerfule B model. The earlier, and much trickier, A model is to follow.

I've been fiddling with this making take-oiffs and landings, starting it up and occasionally chasing down the odd enemy bomber to dick with the weapons. It stresses my laptop to the point where it occasionally locks up solid spinning the disk.

So bear in mind, this will hammer your computer - especially the HDD and RAM. But it is so fucking worth it.

Oh, and it'll do carrier landings and launches also.

The screenshots below don't do it justice.

[Image: yRb9WXAl.png]

[Image: djUroCLl.png]

[Image: IoWFDjcl.png]
Given the last time I bought a computer, I was aiming for something that might match MFS - x I'll give this a try, because at least hey, free to download. And I am SO tired of pay to pwon models.
It's fairly tough on the aul computer now so be careful

I think the free modules are the Caucusus terrain, the P-51 trainer and a lower-resuluition Su-25t (that doesn't have a clickable cockpit interface but is simpler to fly) whic is still the most effective SEAD Platform in the game.

You can slo get an F-18C Hornet if you're into the whole Fighter-Attack Guy thing....

Other aircraft in the game. Mirage M2000C, Mig-21 (Fun), Mig-15, Mig-19, F-86, F-18C, Harrier, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E, L-39, C-101 and the A-10C....
If you like props, there's the P-51, 190-Dora, 109-k4 and Spitfire LFIX
If you like helicopters, there's a Ka-50, MI-8, UH-1, and a Gazelle.
And if you like fucking around there's also a Yak-52 and Christen Eagle module.

Most of the individual modules are paid. Some get pricy. The big Fast Jets are the more iconic, but are in various states of completion. Most are missing one feature or the other and some are definitely worse (Mig-19 is fun, but far, far too docile and UFO-like)

Also, Plinking an AI Mig with a Hornet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8nEtx8l...e=youtu.be