Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: "Prom Is for Straight Kids"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was sorting examples on some trope pages on ATT, and stumbled across Prom Is for Straight Kids.

Is this still a thing?

Yes, it's a serious question. As I added to the page when I sorted the examples, same-sex marriage has been legal since 2003 here. Nobody makes a fuss on Degrassi about someone bringing a same-sex date to the prom because, as far as most of us in the big cities are concerned, there's nothing to make a fuss over. I seek to understand whether this is still an issue elsewhere in the English-speaking world.
(04-21-2019, 08:41 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]I was sorting examples on some trope pages on ATT, and stumbled across Prom Is for Straight Kids.

Is this still a thing?

Yes, it's a serious question. As I added to the page when I sorted the examples, same-sex marriage has been legal since 2003 here. Nobody makes a fuss on Degrassi about someone bringing a same-sex date to the prom because, as far as most of us in the big cities are concerned, there's nothing to make a fuss over. I seek to understand whether this is still an issue elsewhere in the English-speaking world.

I can't speak for the civilized countries, but it's still very much an issue here in Unistat. (We got the god-botherers, Australia got the criminals, and it's too late for us to request a trade.) Further discussion would probably have to go to Politics.
Unistat confused me for a few secs until I realized you were trying to abbreviate like ユナスタ, lol.

It's not an active trope in California. The policies were changed while I was in high school, and as such it's been a nonissue here for 20 years. Can't comment on anywhere else though.
cannot confirm if the prom is only for heterosexuals or not, but can confirm I passed on my own 'senior prom' in 1983 due to my lack of believe in my own sexuality and ability to attract any of my fellow seniors to me sexually?!?!??!?!?!?