Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Original Fiction Recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
That link doesn't work for some reason... Oh, I see, you've got an extra space before the HTTPS.
The Last Angel by Proximal Flame is a completed science fiction story, novel-length. There's also a finished sequel and several side stories set in the same universe. The latest web novel in the series just started a couple of weeks ago, and is ongoing. All links are to SpaceBattles.

At the time of posting, I haven't worked my way through all of this. I've only read the original work, but this is solid enough that I'd like to wholeheartedly recommend it. It's well-constructed space opera with deep worldbuilding and extremely atmospheric writing. When I followed a recommendation myself, and started reading the original "The Last Angel", I was told that it had horror elements... and it absolutely does, except this is a horror story where you're supposed to be rooting for the monster.

The bulk of the story takes place two thousand years after the fall of the United Earth Confederacy. There's flashbacks throughout the story, but that's the here-and-now. What's left of humanity is a client species of the Compact of Species... the polity who destroyed the Confederacy in the first place.

One of the viewpoint characters is a young human officer cadet in the Compact Space Force. Another is her best friend, from a more recently-absorbed client race, who grew up among humans. From their point of view, we see that the Compact is a racist, hierarchical, and altogether unpleasant place to live. The people of the last human world of Rally don't remember their own history. What they think is that the Compact rescued them.

Their academy ship discovers what seems to be an ancient derelict dreadnought constructed by an unknown race, which their ambitious commander tries to salvage. Of course, it's really the story's namesake, and far from dead.

That's not much of a spoiler, because the cards are laid out for the reader from the outset, if not for most of the viewpoint characters. Though the author's still got a few big surprises and plot twists over the course of the tale. But to sum up, of course, what they're trying to salvage is the UECNS Nemesis, the last surviving vessel of the Confederacy, crewed solely by its artificial intelligence - the last soldier of Earth. A vengeful hate-driven ship that's been fighting a long, lonely, campaign against the enemy for hundreds of years. The Last Angel.
Aside from the horror, it's also got a pretty dark tone. Understandable, given the subject matter, but 'no matter what there is nothing you can do about the immoral remains of a once righteous United Federation of Planets equivalent organization crushing the galaxy under its jackboots' is not exactly going to cheer you up.

It's very well written and worth a read as long as you can deal with that.
OH SHIT I KNOW THIS ONE!

I started reading it a couple days ago based on the rec here (currently 39 chapters in), and I'm wholeheartedly endorsing the rec.
One shot short story inspired by a Tumblr post's random musing about abandoned "dream lovers" created by teenagers:

AO3 link: Vampire X Catgirl by Tabbyluna
Out of this World

Alexander McKenzie wasn't expecting to gain a superpower when he was waiting for a bus home from school. Now he's been thrown out of his nice safe world into another one where the rules are unfamiliar, where authority figures may be helpful or treacherous with little clue as to which is which, where even those trapped with him may turn on him viciously. It's called 'high school'.

(Last year's nano project, now being cleaned up)
The Uncle Tal stories

Uncle Tal is quite a character. Nobody is entirely sure how old he is, or where he’s from.

He’s just there. He’s always been there.

Telling his tall tales, almost daring the listener to gainsay him or call him out on his bizarre claims.

It doesn’t bother him if someone does, though. Uncle Tal’s got a secret. A really big secret. And, like all the best secrets, it’s hidden in plain view.

You might say it’s right there in his name.

So pull up a chair and settle back to enjoy the stories.

He’ll be here all day.
A lost fragment of the epic poem Beowulf, starring Old Spice Guy:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/143758
Mother of Learning is now being published in Amazon.

To celebrate, the author has started posting AU chapters with what-if scenarios.

Here is the first one: https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3360135/1...U-Chapters
RavensDagger's story Heart of Dorkness (SB Threadmarks link) is... Okay, I'mm'a be honest, it's really obviously a Worm/RWBY fanfic that got the serial numbers filed off and the characters dropped into a generic fantasy world to become "original" fiction, but it's good fun anyway. Tarpit-reborn Not-Taylor is adopted by Not-Salem on a whim and a few years(?) later makes friends on contact with a (blind, orphaned, and a street beggar for as long as she can remember) Not-Ruby when she's sent to track down what happened to Mom's latest order of books from the human town a couple hours on wyvern-back away, and have various adventures with her Not-Grimm minions. Also on Royal Road and (I think a chapter or so ahead?) on Patreon, but I don't have links for those.

I don't think this has been recommended, though it's been mentioned in the updates threads:

Beware of Chicken
[quote]Jin Rou wanted to be a cultivator who defied the heavens, and surpassed all limits.
Unfortunately for him, he died, and now I’m stuck here. Arrogant young masters? Heavenly tribulations? Cultivating for days on end, then getting into life or death battles?
Yeah, no thanks. I'm getting out of here.
In which a transmigrator decides that the only winning move is not to play.[quote]

Nearing the end of Book 2 (with some recent small delays to the releases schedule due to the author polishing up Book One for release as an actual novel)

The slice of Life and comedy bits are quite good and the action scenes, while less common, also flow well.

Link is to the story on RoyalRoad, it's also on SB and QQ (with a few naughty bonus chapters on the latter), I'm unaware if it's on SV or not, and the Author has a Patreon that's usually 1 or 2 chapters ahead
The QQ thread also has the most active discussion of BoC from what I can tell, though SB has more reader-generated content aside from a couple of interlewds. I actually scrape both for local Calibre copies.
A Story About a Grandpa and Grandma Who Returned Back to Their Youth

A manga with slice of life stories (a few pages per chapter) of an elderly couple who suddenly find themselves to be in their twenties again. Not sent back in time, but they're just going on with their retired life while now much younger, to be bemusement of the people around them (and often each other).
Oh, we're doing this? Okay, here I go.

Now, uh, webcomics, right? I'm gonna assume most of you know Homestuck and don't really care for it. I used to love it, but can't say I care for it anymore either. But there's one, as of yet uncompleted webcomic, published in formal books by Image, that you have to read.

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/k...chapter-1/

Kill Six Billion Demons is an insane Hinduoid Quasignostic metal epic by Tom Parkinson-Morgan about a college sorority sister by the name of Allison who ends up with a white key implanted in her skull, a source of power inherited from the ostensibly dead king of the multiverse. Aided by a trans martial artist angel, a low-ranking fanfiction-writing demon, and several other people she picks up along the way, Allison finds herself in the middle of a pan-universal stalemate between seven Demiurges with similar keys in their heads giving them incomprehensible power. It's her destiny, supposedly, to depose these demiurges and bring balance to the force restore order to the cosmos, but to do that she's ostensibly going to have to learn how to become a very, very violent person - something she knows she isn't cut out for.

Suffice to say that things happen, and don't stop happening. The art is gorgeous, the action is insanely kinetic, the characters are interesting and nuanced and well-designed, and having reread most of it after missing it for a few years, suffice to say that the cosmic power scaling of the whole story is done in such a way that it still feels - human, not just ever-growing planetary power a la DBZ, but power that somehow makes sense. It's nothing short of incredible.
I never could get into K6BD as while the art was clearly incredible, the first couple arcs were nothing but the lady bouncing from one panel to the next as random stuff happened and people shouted Halo ship names at/around her.

*falls into demon gumbo pot*

"BEHOLD! SHE WHO WIELDS THE CULDROUN OF 1000 FORESTS! PILLAR OF AUTUMN! SANCTITY OF WRATH! THE PROPHET OF REGRET!" for three pages then it happens again.
The Webtoon Serial "Lavender Jack" just ended, and it ended as only a pulp mysteryman comic can: with the vague promise of further adventures.

For those who haven't read it, here's the author's blurb:

The dawn of the 20th century! The City of Gallery is a place of science, diversity, and wealth… but it's also held in the clutches of a corrupt ruling class
      that’s squeezing it for all it's worth. Enter: LAVENDER JACK — a devilish vigilante whose fighting prowess and advanced technology make him a nightmare
      for Gallery’s elites. But they’re not about to loosen their grip on the city without a fight. They’ve got some devils of their own, you see...
Adventure in the style of the Shadow or the Spider, with a generous helping of Zorro or the Scarlet Pimpernel. I HIGHLY recommend it.
(12-21-2022, 07:47 PM)Ebony Wrote: [ -> ]The Webtoon Serial "Lavender Jack" just ended, and it ended as only a pulp mysteryman comic can: with the vague promise of further adventures.

For those who haven't read it, here's the author's blurb:

The dawn of the 20th century! The City of Gallery is a place of science, diversity, and wealth… but it's also held in the clutches of a corrupt ruling class
      that’s squeezing it for all it's worth. Enter: LAVENDER JACK — a devilish vigilante whose fighting prowess and advanced technology make him a nightmare
      for Gallery’s elites. But they’re not about to loosen their grip on the city without a fight. They’ve got some devils of their own, you see...
Adventure in the style of the Shadow or the Spider, with a generous helping of Zorro or the Scarlet Pimpernel. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Just finished marathoning this one. Yes, it's "only" 130 chapters, but they're big.

Seconding the recommendation.
Lavender Jack is a legit work of art.
Tori Transmigrated is a fairly standard Otome Villainess Insert story.
 Well-written, and has an interesting twist on why the Heroine is acting the way she does and why she's the Golden Girl.

Quote:The last thing 40-year-old project manager Tori Felix remembered was scrolling through a wiki article about a dating sim game franchise while on the shinkansen.  Then she was hurled forward to the sound of metal creaking, the smell of smoke, and was knocked out.
When Tori woke, she was in a lavish four poster bed with a splitting headache and in the bruised teenage body of a Marquis' arrogant daughter from the popular dating sim "The Romance of Soleil".   
Problem #1:  There is a possibility she's dead in her world.  This meant she couldn't meet up with her friends.  Also, her tickets to Universal Studios were useless now.
Problem #2:  This body may be young, but weaker than her original.  And where were her boobs?
Lastly, Problem #3: She now inhabited the body of Victoria de Guevera; the villainess of "The Romance of Soleil" whose final ending, according to the wiki article, was a violent death at the hands of sex slavers.  
With just a few weeks before the heroine and the villainess collide, there is no time for an existential crisis.  Tori took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and whispered her personal mantra: 
"Assess the situation, then make a plan of action.  You don't want to die like a b-tch."
(09-24-2023, 01:11 AM)ECSNorway Wrote: [ -> ]Tori Transmigrated is a fairly standard Otome Villainess Insert story.
 Well-written, and has an interesting twist on why the Heroine is acting the way she does and why she's the Golden Girl.

It does, however, sort of drag on and get repetitive after a while. I kept reading until... Chapter 100 or so? Around then, it started becoming an increasing drag. I've picked it back up every now and then, but I'm presently sort of stalled in the middle of Chapter 117. *Shrug*.
(09-24-2023, 01:11 AM)ECSNorway Wrote: [ -> ]Tori Transmigrated is a fairly standard Otome Villainess Insert story.

Agreed. I just finished all 5,519 pages of this -- a solid three-week read for me, if not longer (I can't remember exactly when I started it). I really enjoyed Tori as a character, and I definitely loved the subversive twist that the heroine's "good endings" throughout the four-game series would result in bad endings for pretty much everyone else -- millions of people -- but since they're all NPCs and mostly off-screen the hypothetical player doesn't care. (The heroine certainly doesn't.) Speaking of which, Tori occasionally gets annoyed at what she sees as the game's logic and plot throwing problems at her, but it never occurs to her to wonder if there is a player out there somewhere. Which honestly is one of the first things I would wonder about if I were ever in a similar situation. I also felt like about halfway through she'd been "promoted" to an alternative game protagonist, but she never quite realized this.

I saw Aleh's comment above before starting the story, and I was looking for the "repetitive" material when I got to that point in the story, but honestly, I didn't see anything that I thought qualified.

One question I had based on a comment the author made in a note -- is the inserted character eventually meeting the person they replaced as common in Isekai fiction as she claimed? If it is, I'll have to write up a trope candidate for ATT about it. People wanting to answer and/or give me examples, don't do it here -- send me a private message. Thanks!
Quote: I saw Aleh's comment above before starting the story, and I was looking for the "repetitive" material when I got to that point in the story, but honestly, I didn't see anything that I thought qualified.
It's worth noting that I left when that was the last bit posted, and things feel longer when you're reading a serial that's still ongoing and you have a week (or a few days, or whatever -- the update schedule wasn't consistent) between chapters. And I freely admit that the whole in-universe justification, which hadn't been revealed when I made that comment -- I think, anyway; I skipped ahead and spoilered myself when I noticed the story had been finished -- really ties things together and makes a lot of the earlier stuff look rather different in retrospect.

There's a good chance my opinion would change if I were to go back and read the entire thing from beginning to end as you did. I certainly know that just spoilering myself like that did.
Fair enough.
I've been reading it, and the whole all-out war that's going on between Tori and the setting is fascinating. I've never seen a story like this.
Pages: 1 2 3