Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Scrabble is okay with ok
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Could spell trouble? Scrabble rule change allows use of 'OK'

First "qi" becomes a word in the Scrabble Dictionary, then Donald Trump gets elected, and now this.  Seriously, it's the end of civilization guys. 

You might think that it's okay to invent words willy-nilly.  You might think that it's okay to play whatever you feel like, even if it's a Russian word.  You might even think it's okay to spell okay "O"-"K" in Scrabble.  But I don’t think it's okay. I think it’s immoral, I think it’s unethical, I think it’s unpatriotic, and yes, I think it's cheating the game.
Ok.

What?
It's the thin edge of the wedge. What will be next - spelling "colour" without a "u"?
Blame 1800s American newspapers for that one.
(05-02-2019, 06:15 PM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: [ -> ]Ok.

What?

I'm being hyperbolic.  And paraphrasing Adam Schiff of the U.S. Congress.

It's kind of a big deal, in terms of Scrabble, making the K much less crappy.  Probably not as big of a change as "qi" did for Q, but two letter words are critical to strategy in Scrabble, because the best non-bingo plays are almost always in parallel to an existing word, not perpendicular.

Scrabble pretends to be a word game, but it's actually an area control game with like 30000 rules for placement.  Adding a new simple rule is bound to change gameplay a lot.