Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Another political cartoonist fired for drawing a Trump cartoon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This time, in Canada.

Cartoonist let go from N.B. newspapers days after Trump image goes viral

Quote:When he asked his editor whether it was a cost-cutting measure, or his online social media or even "gross incompetence," de Adder said, he was told no.

The company says that they didn't fire him because of the cartoon, but they hadn't accepted a Trump cartoon for a year, and they did not run the artist's non-Trump cartoon that they had already accepted before firing him. This is pretty obviously (to me, at least) an attempt to distance themselves from the cartoonist once he cartoon went viral anyway.

The syndicate in question is owned by Irving. Too bad they don't have a large presence in Ottawa, so that I could boycott them.

Oh, and before anybody cries partisanship, here's a comment by the artist, from his Twitter feed:

Michael de Adder Wrote:Cartoonists in the U.S. are painted as being from the left or the right. Some even as Democrat or Republican. Cartoonists are not partisan in Canada. We're not Democrat or Republican, we're just anti-stupid. We attack both sides. We just want to illustrate the stupidity.
The cartoonist who was to replace de Adder has turned down the position, after social media backlash. The papers owned by the syndicate ran one cartoon by said replacement artist despite him asking they not do so.

Yeah, if that's how they treat creative people, I really want to boycott that company.