Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: New Evidence Suggest Polygyny Can Be Beneficial
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Given the controversial nature of the topic, I figured I should put this in here.

https://medium.com/@Capioca/polygynous-m...e9d172d68c

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/...1507151112

The short and sweet of it is that other factors such as rainfall amounts have actually been skewing results.  Which really strikes me as idiotic to not take the general wealth and food production in the region into account.  An analogy to this would be performing a study of water quality in Mexico and flat-out concluding that it's terrible all around without taking into account the economic wealth in each region.  Or, for a closer fit, comparing the birthrates of whales in the Pacific vs that of the Atlantic without taking into account the availability of food.
It's a fine example of how cultural bias skews results, if we're being honest.
Can I have an animu harem? Let's see, I pick Tomo and Yomi obviously, plus Kikyou from Inuyasha. Oh and Kagura of the Wind too, renowned for her nice feet. Let's see, Wakaba Shinohara, Yoruichi (if I'm not allergic to her), Grandis Granva, and Sumire Kanzaki.

Or were we somehow expecting to have a serious discussion in here.

Also controlling for confounders is really hard in social science, people keep trying to show individuality. Bias is more of a thing that causes you to stop thinking because results match your expectations, rather than intentionally producing wrong results. Which is why we do replication studies.
The first hurdle is getting one, and then two Smile
I think the issue is more having everyone get along, when the increase in difficulty is asymptotic with the number of people involved. Whether it's true or not, the Chinese (some version anyway) ideogram for "trouble" is supposedly two "woman" under a single roof after all...
I guess many women want to be the "main" one in such an arrangement.
that seems to be the usual issue, that and "petty" jealousy at not getting enough attention as another.
There's a reason why bisexual polyamorous partners are so sought after that they're called "Unicorns". It's because it's hard to feel left out when you can just crash the party whenever you want.