Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Okay, I just gave Infinite a one-week time-out for being an ass who thinks wiki rules don't apply to him and that he can abuse mods. I see this isn't the first time, either, so I'm inclined to give him only one more chance. I'm also going to revert some of his more dubious recent changes.
It's a shame that there's a need to do this, but... "Repeated violations of Term #1 of the [[All The Tropes:Terms of Service|Terms of Service]]" is now a standard block reason.
(02-16-2020, 03:29 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]I was about to bring up Gordon's edit here, but I see I don't have to, except to note that I actually started wondering a couple of days ago if Magnificent Bastard is now going to be the new obsession of all these wonks who can't get their Complete Monster on...  If so, what can we do to head them off at the pass?

Send them Doc's way. If he wants the headaches of riding herd on the examples for CM, he can have MB as well.

Speaking of CM, should we mention that trope here?

EDIT: Also speaking of CM, I just added a sentence to ATT:History. If we're going to admit to the event, we should own up to the fact that part 4 of The Tropers' Code was ignored by a lot of the participants (myself included).
Also also speaking of CM, weren't we supposed to be removing it as a trope wherever it appeared in addition to the Example Sectionectomy? I think we sort of left that job half-done.
(02-08-2020, 05:38 AM)Norgarth, in the images thread Wrote: [ -> ][Image: Rs5QHXh.jpg]

What trope is this?  It definitely exists.  I keep thinking of the OP from Minami-ke Okawari which is an obvious parody of this trope, which means it's definitely a trope.  Action-Hogging Opening seems closest.

EDIT: And while I'm here, does anyone else think it's strange that the vast majority of examples on Adjective Noun Fred begin with nouns?
I think it's more properly a new trope, maybe something like "Action Opening, Quirky Ending". Or how about "Non-sequitur End Credits"? That way we don't have to supplant Action-Hogging Opening on any show that already has it.
I think Dancing Theme works for the ending credits.

Do we want to define a Trope+Trope trope, or would simply listing both tropes suffice?
(02-17-2020, 10:38 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Also also speaking of CM, weren't we supposed to be removing it as a trope wherever it appeared in addition to the Example Sectionectomy?  I think we sort of left that job half-done.
I think we didn't decide whether to do that or not.

I'll point out that we do list "Mary Sue" as a trope on many work pages, despite listing no examples in the Mary Sue tropes. If we start pulling CM off of pages, we'll be guilty of a double standard.
I've recently seen a variant on this joke, the 'opening' was a hostile looking dog holding a large knife in it's teeth, the 'ending' pic had a dog looking out a window with a contemplative air about it. so 'quirky
' or 'Non-sequiture' ending might be more accurate. Anime Outros don't have to involve dancing to be thematically at odds with the opening
In other news, TVGarbage is still doing half-assed markup.
I have a few disorganized thoughts on the opening/ending thing:

I'm not sure if if I want a combination trope or not.  Normally I don't like combination tropes, but it feels like there's something to the combination.  Possibly it's enough to cross link on relevant trope pages instead.
Endings are always simpler -- openings sell the show and set the mood.  Openings probably get a higher budget
Some animes just do stills for endings.  But these are still more romantic or playful in tone -- possibly as denouement?
Some movies/TV just play music over white on black text.  But it seems like animation always does something more interesting for the credits.  Video games are more likely than not, since the floppy disk era ended.
It's sufficiently omnipresent that when the opposite is true, you really notice.  Take PMMM after episode 3, where the opening seems much lighter than the ending (until at the end, you realize in horror that the trope was being played straight all along)
Possibly it's too omnipresent to note the shows that play it straight
Category:Credits Tropes and Category:Title Sequence may not be the right organization
(02-18-2020, 12:32 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]In other news, TVGarbage is still doing half-assed markup.

I trust this should suffice...
It's February 19. What now?

(Discussion there, please, not here. Let's keep it transparent.)
(02-19-2020, 09:19 AM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-18-2020, 12:32 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]In other news, TVGarbage is still doing half-assed markup.

I trust this should suffice...

Yeah, I saw that.  Thank you!

Let's hope it does some -- any -- good.
So, did anybody else get a "foe" request from DocColress?

I've rejected it, of course. Somebody else, please bring Rule 1 of the Terms of Service to his attention. He likes rules, right?

EDIT: No, I see from the account contribution list that he just came back to delete a comment on the "Proposal: Example Sectionectomy" thread, ask permission to be my foe, and close a topic on my Talk page without my permission and with an untrue summary.

The one I'm really worried about is the comment deletion. The rest is just Doc completely failing to understand somebody who doesn't think like him (specifically, me).

Bob, you were right and I was wrong.
I really do wish we could lock threads on our talk pages, for obvious reasons.

And I haven't been on the wiki yet this morning. I hesitate to imagine what pleasant surprises he might have left for me.
No surprises for you - everything he did since he came back was related specifically to me.

But if you want to bring Rule 1 to his attention, feel free. While I mentioned it on my talk page, I seriously doubt he's willing to pay attention to anything that I have to say that doesn't conform to his worldview. He might get the clue if somebody else offers it, though.
Hey, I was the one he accused of psychological imbalance because I was in favor of deleting Complete Monster outright. You think he's going to listen to anything I say?
I just cleared the checkbox beside "autopatrolled" on Doc's rights list. Since the first thing he did after returning from his tempban was to break Rule 1 of the Terms of Service, I think he needs to re-earn the right to not have all of his edits reviewed.

If other Bureaucrats think I did this for a reason other than the reason that I stated, well... you have the power to undo it.
(02-20-2020, 08:29 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, I was the one he accused of psychological imbalance because I was in favor of deleting Complete Monster outright.  You think he's going to listen to anything I say?

Good point.

The wiki has other admins, though...
Just saw that. No problem with it here.

And to my immense surprise, I got a friends offer from him, with the note "If you still hate me, you can decline".
Let it sit... unless you want to be his friend.

I have at least one "friend" request that's been sitting unanswered for months.
I have two in addition to his. I do not do Friends or Foes -- I think it's a stupid feature of SocialProfile and don't use it. (Anymore, at least; I think I accepted a couple friends at first.)
I just dropped this.

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...on=history

Consider any further boat rocking excuse to exercise the nuclear option.
(02-20-2020, 08:33 AM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-20-2020, 08:29 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, I was the one he accused of psychological imbalance because I was in favor of deleting Complete Monster outright.  You think he's going to listen to anything I say?

Good point.

The wiki has other admins, though...

Well, it appears I'm wrong.  He replied (in his usual manner) to Geth, and pretty much thinks Rob's the only admin he won't "see eye to eye with".  He seems to have forgotten that he accused me of being insane because I didn't agree with him.

He also thinks the "foe" invite is some kind of "line in the sand" that will keep things from escalating.  Someone get the address of the world he lives in -- I want to stay away from that neighborhood.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13