Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: bitchin' and praise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Murmur the Fallen

So anyway, the first thing that pops up in my head after reading this is:
How cool was that? Very cool, indeed. As a long-time fan of Ah My brother and Drunkard's Walk, as well as a general cross-over fan, I enjoyed reading it.
But, being me, I can't help but quibble. Quibble and poke and prod and pick those damnable nits that nobody else sees.
But first, the praise part: it was incredible just how effective the duelling perspectives were in this story, particularly in the fight scene. The way it switched from OUR HERO DOUG, first person, to OUR OTHER HERO, WHAT'S HIS FACE, UH, RIGHT, RIGHT, CHRIS, in the third person, was very effective in both maintaining tension and showing the personalities of the characters during the fight. The jarring nature of the duelling narratives worked perfectly well with the jarring nature of their fight with their constant playing with time.
Also, I am completely unable to tell when it is Herr Schroeck writing and when it is Angel-san writing. Perhaps it's due to my complete inability to notice any damn thing ever but most likely it is due to the sympatico between the two writers. This has none of the feel of a round robin but rather a true collaboration.
Now then, onto the bitching and it begins with the question: whose story is this? It says "Drunkard's Walk" on it and so far most of the action has centered upon OUR HERO DOUG and that's all to the good. But there has to be clear-cut answer to the question of who the main protagonist is, because I doubt that a story with two protagonists would work. Which isn't to say that there couldn't be sub-plots given to supporting characters, but there has to be a clear distinction made as to who the main character is and who the supporting characters are.
Fer instance, in the first (well, second) Drunkard's Walk, it was OUR HERO DOUG who was OUR HERO. Lisa had a storyline given to her, as did Katherine Madigan, and Priss (Nene to a much lesser extent, and Sylia learned a lesson somewhere in there but where the hell was Linna, anyway?). But it was OUR HERO DOUG's story. Main guy, him. His story.
Take, um, MASH the TV series. A ensemble cast, a GREAT ensemble cast. But it was Hawkeye's story, always and forever Hawkeye's story and it worked because it was his story.
So, again: whose story is this? Because if it's not made clear, then it's going to be muddled. I would enjoy it, sure, but . . . protagonist, supporting character.
Second bitching: the main conflict in this that Doug learns that not all gods are selfish and capricious through the bonding that comes from rebuilding a bike?
Hmm . . . that's . . . that's kinda not very . . . big. I mean, in the second Walk we had Doug vs. Genom pretty early on. We could see it all coming. I guess this bitch isn't very good, because we're so early on in the story but . . . you know, no clear ANTAGONIST here yet to match THE PROTAGONIST.
Quote:
Second bitching: the main conflict in this that Doug learns that not all gods are selfish and capricious through the bonding that comes from rebuilding a bike?
*prereader points and laughs like that one really annoying kid from The Simpsons* Ha-ha!
Oh, and BTW, for those who remember one of the Eva snippet threads and don't mind spoilers...
The lady Doug was calling in a favor from, who I said you hadn't met yet? You'll meet her here.
Now, assuming that Bob lets that stand, I'm going to go over to my corner and snicker evilly.
Ja,
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Quote:
*prereader points and laughs like that one really annoying kid from The Simpsons* Ha-ha!
Second prereader joining in and snickering all the way to the bank. Just wait until things _really_ heat up Smile
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Re: Bitch the First
It's both Doug's and Paradox' stories, and neither's. How's that for specific.
Translation: Neener neener neener, we're not telling. Big Grin
Re: Bitch the Second.
See the translation above.

I'd like to point out that this is the FIRST FREAKING CHAPTER. Give us a chance to...I don't know, develop the story.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]

Kokuten

mmm, I just got in a shipment of plot developer.. I've got 3800 gallons of this stuff sitting in my back yard, and I need the room for my Deus Ex Machina, it's back from the shop..
shall I send some over?
-K
(if my tounge was any more firmly in-cheek, it'd be in someone else's mouth)[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Murmur, go back and reread the first chapter of DW2. Look at how much groundwork is laid there in respect to the overall plotline. See how cleverly I foreshadowed everything so that the perceptive reader could pick up the entire story years in advance?
You don't?
Oh, that's because the main purpose of that chapter was to get Doug into an apartment and meeting Lisa. Strange how the Quincy arc doesn't even appear (save for a single red herring reference) until something like chapter 4 or 5...
Give it time. The first harbinger of the main conflict has already appeared. The second and greater harbinger shows up in the next chapter.
In the meantime, reread some of the teaser threads. For the moment, no plot elements from them (save Megumi and the redial button) have been abandoned.-- Bob
---------
Chaos isn't really chaos if it isn't Lawful part of the time.

Murmur the Fallen

I mean, I praised. There was praise in there. Big ol' praise.
I should perhaps have been a bit more generous as to the whole plot development thing.
As for the comparison between this and the last Walk . . . well, let's be honest here. We all knew that OUR HERO DOUG was going to go after Genom. You knew it, I knew it, Skippy the next-door neighbor dog knew it. Skippy one day heard that a super-heroish character was going to be inserted into the BGC world and he immediately said "Ruff!" (roughly translated: he's so totally gonna go after Genom). If even Skippy, whose vocabulary consists of Ruff and barkity-bark-bark-woof (roughly translated as: your mother is not a nice person and brought you up poorly), could tell, it was an inevitability.
Here, though: well, you have Mara. Mara who can't help but dance to the music. Is Hild, the big-baddy, gonna show up? Who knows.
Of course, the mythology behind the series is different from the manga so there's that. Who knows how the whole OverGod Aspect thing is going to play out. But the OMG world in the anime isn't what you'd call high-impact conflict. It's mostly mischief from the demons and the goddesses making their own messes for the most part. So unless a radical tone-shift takes place, I don't see OUR SORT OF CO-HERO DOUG doing much ass-kicking and name-taking.
Or do I?
Still looking forward to what's going to go on. I really, really am.
-murmur
Skippy the Neighbor Dog says: Barkity-bark-bark-woof!
Quote:
But the OMG world in the anime isn't what you'd call high-impact conflict. It's mostly mischief from the demons and the goddesses making their own messes for the most part.
I encourage you to re-read the Lord of Terror arc, in which said individual ALMOST DESTROYED ALL OF CREATION.
'nuff said.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
I beleive he specifically mentioned the anime, suggesting a lack of familiarity with manga-only storylines. Even so, there's not a lot of instances in the manga that are anything more than mischief and the troubles of life with a secret identity. So... you're pretty much both right, it's just that OMB is more manga based... or something. Granted, I'm stalled out around vol. 17 of the manga, so there may be more high-profile hijinx that I haven't seen yet.
- CDSometimes a gundam rom rpg snes swigs, but an arpeggio not including a rancor always
unanimously gives lectures to the in disguise barred enclosure!
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Herr Bad Moon

Murmur, you seem to be making a couple of assumptions.
1): Drunkard's Walk is about Doug's continual encounters with huge, world shattering events which necessitate an ubervillian.
This isn't always the case, as Bob has said a couple of times that some Step's will be fairly low key, and not have Doug crusading against the Dark. Its too early to tell which DW5 will be, but the inclusion of In Nomine makes me personally doubt this will simply be Intro to Hover Bike Repair. But that's just my suspicious nature Big Grin
2): A clear antagonist is needed as soon as Doug is vomited out of the Ether.
Why? Revealing the big bad in Act 1 doesn't make any sense. Even if you take the implied Genom conflict in DW2, you don't meet for a good while. Hell, one of my favorite parts of DW2 was the friction between the Knight Sabers and Doug and that didn't happen till more than halfway through.
All and all, you seem to be looking for a lot in a first chapter when there's still a lot of groundwork that can happen. So relax and enjoy the ride, it's gonna be pretty sweet Big Grin---------------
If you want a competition to see who is best at rezoning aqueducts, prepare to be whipped little lady. When it comes to choosing accommodation for hell machines, Id be grateful for a little slack.
-Mayor of Tackleford: Scary Go Round
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
Quote:
Why? Revealing the big bad in Act 1 doesn't make any sense.
*nodnod* Seriously, how many people expected -WILLOW- to try and destroy the world?
Ja,
-n
(Wicked Tribe is -punchy-!)
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Quote:
I beleive he specifically mentioned the anime, suggesting a lack of familiarity with manga-only storylines.
Incorrect. I am (and have stated that I am) familiar with manga storylines at least as far as the Lord of Terror arc. See this question in the DW FAQ.
Quote:
so there may be more high-profile hijinx that I haven't seen yet.
Let me just say that, as in other worlds, Doug's presence... perturbs things just a bit.-- Bob
---------
Er, I meant Murmur, not you, Bob. I know YOU'RE up on the manga, as noted, you've said as much in the past.
- CDSometimes a gundam rom rpg snes swigs, but an arpeggio not including a rancor always
unanimously gives lectures to the in disguise barred enclosure!
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Ah, okay, messed up my pointer references. -- Bob
---------