Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: COVID-19 Check-in Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
(05-03-2020, 12:45 PM)Dragonflight Wrote: [ -> ]What will be interesting is the companies who consider the work from home aesthetic they've had for the last couple months and decide to keep going this way.

I suspect my manager would hate it, but our accommodations people would love it. I know I'd rather have a desk in an office where I can brainstorm with co-workers, even though 99% of what I do can be done remotely.

And I used as much bandwidth in April as I used in January, February, and March put together. (Good thing my ISP offers only unlimited-bandwidth plans, or I'd have to charge my employer for the overage.)

(And I'm still alive.)
I'm still doing fine. My employer is still keeping our facilities closed to non-essential employees.

Kilroy
Still here. Meeting tomorrow to start planning on getting the lab up and running again for research.
Still alive here.
I think a lot of that is likely to happen (or at least have a lot of noise made about doing it) on a "so we're ready if something like this hits again" basis. How complete and how effective effective such preparations will turn out to be is another question, of course. As for moving to "work from home" as a standard situation, I remember reading something about why the companies that tried that in the noughties had moved away from it again in the teens - basically, for all the reasons people are discovering anew now, even those employees who don't have any tasks dependent on a physical location as long as they have network access got less done that way. "Here's how we shift to a work-from-home model in emergencies to minimize disruptions" planning yes, but I doubt it'll be a major thing when circumstances don't force it any more than it was before.
There's also personal/cultural preferences. Dutch culture has a distinct preference for working away from home even for things that can be done at home.
What hazard said is my personal preference as well, physical separation between home and office aiding the mental.

And still present, still working from home.
My parents and I have spoken by phone with my older brother and his wife and sons several times since the down was locked. Tonight, we'll be Zooming with them.
Still here.
I've realized that I should have been keeping a tally sheet. Do we have anyone who hasn't checked in for a while?
Not that I recall off the top of my head.

Regarding working from home....

....Yeah, there's just some thing you can't do from home yet. Like schlepping pizza. Drone technology still has a way to go until we can do that from home. :V
Still here... my work is moving back to us going in every day.
Checking in on the last day of another short work week. This will be followed by a food stockpile on the way home, then not leaving the house for several days.
(05-05-2020, 03:50 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]I've realized that I should have been keeping a tally sheet.  Do we have anyone who hasn't checked in for a while?

I don't recall seeing Cobalt Greywalker or Jenova_Silverstar check in since the first two pages... but neither of them post very often at the best of times.
Jenova_Silverstar checked in last Wednesday.  I noticed that because it was the post immediately after mine for that week.

Oh, and I'm still no change to status.
Checking In. I'm addicted to Animal Crossing, woefully inadequate in Smash, and other games.

Job Wise, work is picking up. The cloth mask I'm wearing at work seems to rub my ears wrong. The elastic is a little too tight. I'm seeing more people actually wearing masks. I'm currently annoyed at one of my co-workers calling the virus "Boomer Remover."
(05-06-2020, 02:45 AM)Jenova_Silverstar Wrote: [ -> ]The elastic is a little too tight.

One fix I've seen is to make a strap with very large buttons to go around the nape of your neck and loop the ear-straps of the mask around the buttons instead of your ears.
Good to see you, Jenova.

Cobalt last visited the board on the 29th according to the admin control panel. I'll check again in another week and keep doing so until he posts again.
Well...  Thanks for the concern.  Seriously (not Siriusly).

Geeze, a week without posting and the world is knocking on your door.  The op post did say/suggest posting every week, and it's been a week.

Though I get the problem of not knowing what day it is, and that's with a routine that is 'office during the week, home at weekends' due to actually having to go in to the office on weekdays.

So, yeah.  I'm alive, still going into the office.
Haven't posted in this thread for a while, but doing fine. Just had a late-night snack of Goldfish crackers, which was somehow hard enough to break a portion off the crown on my tooth -- but 75% of it is still glued in. So now the fun of waiting for dental care begins.

Family is doing fine, work is getting better, the infection rate is one-quarter of what it is next door in LA County and decreasing.
I can sympathize, I lost a filling about a week after lockdown started Rolleyes  Since I haven't started feeling any pain yet, it obviously isn't an "emergency" wjhich is all the local dentists are responding to.
Been about a week since my last post, and a bit over two since my last in this thread, so: Still here, still healthy, still working from home. Maryland is going into staged reopening fairly soon, so I may have my second income back in a month or two.
The virus won't kill me.

It'll be the alcohol. Or the overfeeding.
Eh. Just relized I don't really post here the way I used to, so Oi!

Mostly doing CoX right now.
Still Here. Still putting up with idiots who don't know what 'quarantine' means.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12