Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Possibly Premature Announcement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Chris Angel (aka "jpub") and I have tentatively agreed to set DW5 in his variant of the O!MG world, originally developed in his fic series Oh My Brother. Use that link to check it out if you've never heard of it or read it before now -- I highly recommend it.
More on this as it develops.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Ace Dreamer

> Chris Angel (aka "jpub") and I have tentatively agreed to set DW5 in his variant of the
> O!MG world, originally developed in his fic series Oh My Brother. Use that link to check it
> out if you've never heard of it or read it before now -- I highly recommend it.
Interesting!
Does this mean you are reconsidering the In Nomine tie-in? Or, was it always just the mechanics and overall world view you were planning on using?
I ask this, because while I have played the game, mainly because the ref, who's games I almost always find worthwhile, wanted to run it, I don't like to play games that mess too much with people's religion. And, you might say that In Nomine deals with a religion which is an "active franchise". Hmm. Maybe I should be avoiding the Bushido game as well (and Hindu gods in DnD), seeing as Shinto is alive and well?
Whatever setting you decide on, I am pretty sure I will enjoy reading it.
Cheers!
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
We're still going to be using those elements of In Nom that I'd always planned on; the milieu of DW5 is (and always was) going to be far more O!MG than IN anyway.
Quote:
And, you might say that In Nomine deals with a religion which is an "active franchise".
The difference is, with the exception of Scientology, no one has copyright and trademark rights to a given religion -- they're public domain and thus open targets.

-- Bob
---------

Ace Dreamer

> We're still going to be using those elements of In Nom that I'd always planned on; the
> milieu of DW5 is (and always was) going to be far more O!MG than IN anyway.
>
> > And, you might say that In Nomine deals with a religion which is an "active
> > franchise".
>
> The difference is, with the exception of Scientology, no one has copyright and
> trademark rights to a given religion -- they're public domain and thus open targets.
I thought several times before posting this comment... Nothing starts (bad) arguments like religion and politics!
The In Nomine idea of the status of divine/demonic beings being subject to change is an interesting one, and speaks of Free Will, as well as having interesting consequences for the Doublet System.
Addressing fundamental ideas like this is one of the things that the better (IMNVHO) fanfic does.
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
The In Nomine idea of the status of divine/demonic beings being subject to change is an interesting one, and speaks of Free Will, as well as having interesting consequences for the Doublet System.
Speaking of the doublet system... has there ever been an actual case of it being invoked, or is this one of those better-safe-than-dead deals that you take on faith and don't want to risk testing?
If the latter, then it can (for the purposes of this story, anyway) be labeled as "a way to forestall all out war through rumor and fear" and be safely ignored for the purposes of any redemtions that may happen...
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
My general opinion is that the Doublet system is handled on a management level, and thus its mechanisms are for the most part invisible to the god-in-the-street. Given that the population of gods and demons is (and given just what we see in the OMG movie, must be) dynamic, the Doublet system must be dynamic as well, possibly even automatically assigning and reassigning doublets on the fly. (Hmm... what if a doublet pair is not a constant, but changes at irregular intervals? That would be very good from a security point of view, because then you couldn't figure out who's paired with who and kill someone on the other side just by killing the right person on your side...)
If we add In Nom to the mix, it becomes even more problematic, as it's IN canon that the demons outnumber the angels (according to the rules, they "prefer quantity to quality" -- the average demon is notably weaker than the average angel). This means that either multiple demons are assigned to some angels, or that the Doublet system cycles the links so fast and frequently that it only looks like there's a permanent doublet for each demon.
By the way, the fact that the Doublet System works is proof that the demons of OMG are actually rather rational, reasonable people, and maybe even not terribly evil by most measures. Some versions of hell (for example), were the Doublet System incorporated into them, would just slaughter the vast majority of their side in the hope and expectation that they could decimate Heaven by remote control, leaving it open to invasion by Hell's survivors...

-- Bob
---------
By the way, the fact that the Doublet System works is proof that the demons of OMG are actually rather rational, reasonable people, and maybe even not terribly evil by most measures.
I read a Sailor Moon fanfic (can't remeber the title or author... something about MacManusite?) where the demons from OMG were classified more as chaotic than evil. Their job, essentially, was to cause chaos and tempt Man into committing the really Evil stuff (because Man has that potential, don'cha know) as opposed to doing the dirty work themselves...-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

Feinan

The story in question was Aa! Megami Senshi! by Bill Hartwell. *grin* Glad to hear someone mention it, actually. He's a friend of mine, and I really enjoy his Sailor Moon stories. The crossover story is actually only part of a larger set of stories - the Crystal Kingdom Archives. If anyone's interested in either the OMG crossover or the stories in general, the link is below. Demon Hunter's Journal is the first story to read in the set, if you want to take things in order, or you can try the crossover directly (though you'll have to pick up a few new characters on the fly...).
unix.jdweiss.com/~raven/crystal.htm
Hope you find the stories enjoyable.
Kevin Eaches
keaches@columbus.rr.com
The problem with that idea about the Doublet System, though, is actually the chief plot of the arc in which it's introduced. If doublets are handled on a 'management level' and reassigned on the fly, how the heck do you explain (a) the flashbacks in that arc or (b) the situation with Belldandy's doublet?-------------------
The three vaguely canine humanoid figures stood in Mason's office, their almost grotesque,
yet somehow cute, faces beaming.
"I'm Yakko," the tallest introduced.
"I'm Wakko," the second continued with a burp.
"And I'm cute," the third, who Mason suddenly noticed was wearing a skirt, finished, "but you can call me Dot."
Mason gestured to his bodyguard.
"Hello, cybernurse!" the first two Warners suddenly called out before glomping the startled
33-c.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Quote:
how the heck do you explain (a) the flashbacks in that arc or (b) the situation with Belldandy's doublet?
I can't, because I haven't read that arc. I only know about the doublet system secondhand.

-- Bob
---------
Ah. That explains it. The doublet linking is apparently a big deal, and has to be preformed -- personally -- by the god and demon in question. Their memories of the event are then erased. Belldandy's doublet, however, didn't want to forget her and used some... trickery... to avoid losing his memories of her. Said tricks eventually nearly destroyed Time itself, and caused no end of problems.-------------------
"So, why are we here again?" Usagi asked, examining a rather nice blouse.
"USAGI," Rei shouted in exasperation.
"Well," Ami patiently explained, "The last four businesses that opened in this area were fronts for the Dark Kingdom. While I can't be certain, it's prudent to investigate and determine whether or not this one is as well."
"Yeah," Usagi replied, "I understand, but what makes you think that *THIS* store's a Dark Kingdom plot?"
Rei just glared at Usagi as a voice came on over the loudspeakers.
"Attention, You-Mart shoppers..."
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Interesting. I'll have to shop around and look for the trade PB with that sequence in it.
Thanks.

-- Bob
---------
I don't think that sequence is a......correction a quick check of my US Mailbag of Manga reveals that it is currently available as a TPB the one you're looking for is Vol #16 'Mystery Child'.
--Rod.H
A proud non-believer in the Viz non-US sales policy
"Our local Borders has a shelving unit full of new & recent printing/title Viz TPBs"
With luck I can find that at one of the many stores around here selling manga. (I never thought I would ever be able to say that with a straight face, but now, off the top of my head I can think of no less than seven establishments within 15 miles of me where I can buy manga, and I'm probably forgetting some at that.)

-- Bob
---------
Eh. It's not that tough.
As mine avatar in the OMB series doesn't have a doublet as of yet, I've actually considered this rather well, and broken it down into some paths we could take:
1) Since G's and D's aren't supposed to know who their doublet is, and don't remember the ceremony, its entirely possible that some may not even know if they have a doublet at all. Some may not, and just think they do.
2) One G may have multiple D's as their doublet, or vice versa.
3) Minor elements (ie cannon fodder) may not have doublets.
--
Chris
Works for me.

-- Bob
---------

Loki Laufeyjarson

Concerning the doublet system:
It would need to be dynamic to some point atleast or the whole concept of Demons turning into Gods or vice versa wouldn't make much sense. What is the big idea of trying to corrupt a goddess, if in the end it just means the enemy can take out two on your side without reprecussions?
I doubt it would work as a bluff. The whole system is based on MAD. Just a single called bluff could end up causing big damage. Same goes for assinging more than one partner per deity or demon.