Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVII
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Yeah, saw that in the news, it was pretty much inevitable.  Netflix Stands By ‘Cuties’ After Streamer Indictment In Texas Over Film’s “Prurient Interest In Sex”

from the article Wrote:Netflix did see some subscription cancellations in the wake of Cuties hitting the streamer, it was reported. However, the rate of people voting with their wallets tapered off pretty quickly, and views were on par with the previous year within a week.

So far no one has watched it, no one has felt like making a page about it.  I still think this is a pretty isolate thing we can kind of ignore for the time being.
(10-06-2020, 08:34 PM)Labster Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, saw that in the news, it was pretty much inevitable.  Netflix Stands By ‘Cuties’ After Streamer Indictment In Texas Over Film’s “Prurient Interest In Sex”

from the article Wrote:Netflix did see some subscription cancellations in the wake of Cuties hitting the streamer, it was reported. However, the rate of people voting with their wallets tapered off pretty quickly, and views were on par with the previous year within a week.

So far no one has watched it, no one has felt like making a page about it.  I still think this is a pretty isolate thing we can kind of ignore for the time being.

Again, I'll have no input on whether we do anything about this, I'll let others make the decisions and I concur, sleeping dogs can lie.
Havign an issue specific to Wikia, but worth noting for those who edit on both ATT branches:

https://allthetropes.fandom.com/wiki/Thread:330587

Wikia has a bunch of word filters to prevent various forms of spam and other obscenity from being abused, and one of their filters is on a certain "n-word", which is problem for certain pages on classical literature, quotations by actors, historical source documents, and other related topics.

Unless Wikia can modify their fliters to allow pages with these terms to be properly edited, this may be the first time I've had to censor legitimate content there because of super anal spam filters.

I'll have an update on what they decide to do.

Update: Wikia won't budge. Understandable due to their needing to globally prevent trolls from spamming obscenites, so it looks like I'll have to implement an alternate solution.

Update 2: To get around their spam filter, a compromise solution was hammered out. I'm going to have a bot replace all uses of the word in question with a template substitute, so in the event the pages are ported over to Miraheze for whatever reason, they can be changed back with a simple bot job/MassEditRegex operation. Only about a hundred pages will need this, so it's not a major issue. It's worth noting Wikia is aware of ATT Wikia's innocent and legitimate intentions, but they just can't risk lowering the gates, lest the barbarian horde of trolls who get their kicks spamming racial slurs take advantage of it.
How the heck do I delete the spam on page "User:Fredaston"? I tried changing the page's content model and deleting the page outright, but that didn't work.
Special:EditProfile is the page to use. And I've taken care of it.
I think I've just stumbled over a non-existent work that's represented on the wiki only as a set of examples that have slipped under the radar since before the fork. There are a goodly number of pages that cite a manga or anime allegedly called "Animerica" which does not appear to be the magazine. For example, this item from the trope "Virgin Power":
Quote:* Janine from Animerica truly believes that [[True Love's Kiss|kissing is the ultimate form of showing one's true love for another...]] {{spoiler|Too bad she gets raped by the [[Big Bad]] afterwards...}}
And the very first example on "Hair of Gold" is
Quote:Janine from ''Animerica'' symbolizes this in the purest form imaginable, making her a direct contrast not just to her [[Love Interest]], but to the black-haired Lita and the red-headed Malin. In fact, just about every blonde (except for Takuya and Shirogane) in the series symbolizes this.
And "Took a Level in Badass/Anime and Manga" has paragraphs of text.

I got curious (because I knew about the magazine and I was thinking of the need for a disambiguation page) so I did some googling. In particular, I searched on the title and six character names from the various examples I found ("janine", "makoto", "takuya", "shirogane", "ron" and "malin") -- and Google doesn't even return any false positives. It gave me one of the very few "I got nothin'" pages I've ever seen. Without the title I get a random assortment of obvious no-starters. The closest I got to a "real" hit was a thread on a board called "Ancient Land of Ys" from 2009 complaining about finding references to "Animerica" on TV Tropes but not being able to find it when they went to look for it.

It goes without saying that Wikipedia also knows absolutely nothing about a work of this name.

I did note that Wikipedia had a page for a companion magazine to Animerica called Animerica Extra, which ran shojo manga during its brief (1998-2004) lifespan, and the only thing I can think of (at least for a non-hoax) is that some very stupid person thought that all the individual stories it carried were one huge work called "Animerica" and wrote them up accordingly? Except some of the character names and plot points in the examples still don't match the dozen or so stories Wikipedia says were carried (including Fushigi Yuugi, Utena, Maison Ikkoku and X/1999).

I'm calling this a bogus work and I plan to hunt down the examples and remove them unless someone can show me a real work that matches them.
I'm not seeing anything in a DuckDuckGo search, either. Feel free to nuke.
Done. Taken as a whole, the examples were a bizarre mix of random and internally-consistent. Either it was a print-only work or it was an anime with at least three seasons and a set of specials after its run. It had Loads and Loads of Characters -- something like twenty named characters cited across all the examples, although some existed only in one example each; and they were an even mix of Japanese and Western names, with a couple that read like they were made up for a fantasy novel. There was a Big Bad with some kind of split personality disorder, cited on several different trope pages. The Took a Level in Badass examples, though, read like they were being made up as they'd been written.

EDIT: The alleged cast of characters of the alleged "Animerica":

Janine
Makoto
Takuya
Shirogane/Shiragane
Ron
Malin
Lita
Wendy
Kasuse
Thalin
Kiyone
Kiyo (nickname for Kiyone?)
Josh
Leon
Amshel
Eric
Yusuke
Takato
Mischa
Yumi
Hey people. I'm physically in the office this morning, for the first time in seven months. Because of that, I need to ask someone else to review the changes made by new user "Lion Warrior". He's added a lot of links to images to tropes like "Male Gaze" (or added trope entries outright with such links), that I suspect might be a little dodgy, but I can't look at them from here.

Thanks.
Previously-missing files recovered today from pre-fork grabs of TVT in the Wayback Machine. Some have been converted from BMP format, so if you want them for the Wikia forks, Geth and Doc, grab them from ATT.
  • File:Megaman tt s robot masters by justedesserts-d4mqtjj 8533.png
  • File:Vermouth 8454.png
  • File:Zoids new century 8138.jpg
  • File:Tachibanamuneshige1 6785.png
  • File:Takedashingen 9249.png
(10-12-2020, 09:37 AM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]Previously-missing files recovered today from pre-fork grabs of TVT in the Wayback Machine. Some have been converted from BMP format, so if you want them for the Wikia forks, Geth and Doc, grab them from ATT.
  • File:Megaman tt s robot masters by justedesserts-d4mqtjj 8533.png
  • File:Vermouth 8454.png
  • File:Zoids new century 8138.jpg
  • File:Tachibanamuneshige1 6785.png
  • File:Takedashingen 9249.png

Much obliged.
503s now. At least they warned us ahead of time:

Quote:Miraheze plans to do database maintenance on October 13th at 20:00 UTC time to 22:00 UTC. Please save edits 5 minutes before hand.
Speaking of things breaking, Wikia upgraded their backend to something far more modern and lots of stuff broke, and that means I'll be waiting at least a month before I can add dump content or extensions. In the meantime, fielding them bug reports so they can fix the screwups.
We don't have anything under the name or variations, but I was certain we had a page for something like "Character-Defining Moment". Am I confused and/or mistaken?
It isn't mentioned on "So You Want To/Develop Character Personality", and I don't see anything appropriate listed on "Crowning Moment"...

As long as we're asking questions: What trope is illustrated by the book that Violetta is holding here?
I must therefore be confused and/or mistaken. Not an uncommon state these days.

And that is indeed a good question. I presume you mean the situationally-variable title (and, you would think, subject matter). Hm. Nothing comes to mind yet...
new Mandalorian season 2 trailer
I suspect that was meant for a different thread...
This is the only "Apparel" subpage on the wiki. Is there a better place to put the page (subpage type or bit-bucket - I for one don't see how clothing is tropable)?
Actually, I can think of a couple potential "clothing" tropes -- stereotypical "geek/nerd" clothing for one -- and if we don't have them maybe we should. (Nerd Glasses and Meganekko might count as well.) In this particular case, though, maybe we should just rename the page to "Other" and let it accumulate things from outside our broad categegories.
Can someone please take a look at the changes ‎NormAtredies is making to Acceptable Religious Targets beginning around noon yesterday? I started looking at them yesterday afternoon and haven't had a chance to get back to the wiki since; I didn't like some of what I saw. He had begun adding a section for general Christianity that started off with something that registered to me as being along the lines of "Christianity is the most persecuted religion", but I didn't have the opportunity to do more than read the first change he made and note that he'd made close to a dozen more edits of the page before other tasks demanded my attention. I suspect that I won't be able to get back to the wiki until this afternoon, so if someone else can confirm his edits are innocent -- or head off some kind of right-wing "everyone hates Christians" rant -- quicker than I can find the time to do it, I'd be grateful.
Okay, I finally had a chance to review NormAtredies' changes to Acceptable Religions Targets (and made a few of my own). Most of his changes were okay, but a couple still niggle at me. I'd still really appreciate it if someone reads through them and gives me an independent point of view.
(10-16-2020, 01:10 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, I finally had a chance to review NormAtredies' changes to Acceptable Religions Targets (and made a few of my own).  Most of his changes were okay, but a couple still niggle at me.  I'd still really appreciate it if someone reads through them and gives me an independent point of view.

As a practicing non-denominational Christian (though one who is not afraid of it being mocked or criticized), I gave the edits a look-see. Some come off a bit apologist for Christianity, but nothing extreme. Could just be a well-meaning Christian troper who just forgot their objectivity out of instinct as opposed to malice, but we'll know if they edit war or not.

If they can take being edited and are willing to discuss matters peaceably if it comes to that, then I'd let it ride. If they start getting partisan, assume an agenda.
In the "take my victories where I can find them" file: All images that are marked as coming from Wikipedia are now also marked as being used under Fair Use. (The ones that were CC or GDL are now deleted, and the pages that were using them are pointing at the Commons copies of the images instead.)

And, since there's now an option on the license options list to say "from Wikipedia and fair use" and any attempt to upload an image that's also on Commons generates a "duplicate file" warning, we shouldn't get any more. Right?
We can only hope.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12