Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVII
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Previous thread can be found here.
(08-09-2020, 08:21 AM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]This one addresses Bob's concern - what do you think? It does show the perils of having more than one quote in a row, but our Style Guide already discourages that.

Actually, that looks much better than I was afraid it would, and actually makes multiple quotes in a row more distinct. I withdraw my objection.
(08-09-2020, 06:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2020, 08:21 AM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]This one addresses Bob's concern - what do you think? It does show the perils of having more than one quote in a row, but our Style Guide already discourages that.

Actually, that looks much better than I was afraid it would, and actually makes multiple quotes in a row more distinct.  I withdraw my objection.

Same. If our quotes look better and the page formatting isn't hosed up in the process, I'm all for making it look better.
Thanks. I'll leave the discussion going on the wiki for at least another day, so that other folks have a chance to weigh in.

The template that I used on the There's Nothing Better wiki was a direct copy of the ATT quote template, so it'll just be a matter of copying back the revised code if/when we decide we're ready to make the change.

And then I expect people to complain - and I'll point them at the Forum thread and say "you should have said something earlier".
Ack. I've run out of time right now and didn't get a chance to address this upload. If somebody else gets to it before this evening (ET), then I won't have to...
I've already dropped the uploader a note on his talk page, and hopefully he acts on it. But he's very much a TVTroper, and he just leapt in as though we were no different from and just as lax as TVT. I've been pinging him since last night on things he needs to do differently, and while he's been taking care of specifics I've mentioned, it's pretty clear he hadn't looked at the guide pages I pointed him at.
We finally have a dissenting opinion on leaving the wiki closed to anon edits. And it's well-thought-out.
And quite eloquent, too.
Just noticed that the ATT page for Drunkard's Walk referred to the work as "DW", and that triggered my Pavlovian reflex - make a disambiguation page for the abbreviation, stat!

So... we really don't have a page for Disney World? Colour me surprised.
See all the vandalizm on the wiki? No? Good. I've already sent a thank-you to the sysop who caught and undid it.

I've also fully-protected a few templates: header, tropelist, franchisetropes, examples, trope, work, Just for Fun, Useful Notes, Mechanics of Writing, stub, workstub, ...
Whee... had to do the same sort of protection of templates on the freebie wiki.

On a happier note... I just checked the count of files imported from TVT without a license. If I keep going at the rate I have been (including working on holidays), the list should be clear by Christmas 2024. I think. Please help with this project - I want to be able to take Labour Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas off.
(08-15-2020, 02:19 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]See all the vandalizm on the wiki? No? Good. I've already sent a thank-you to the sysop who caught and undid it.

I've also fully-protected a few templates: header, tropelist, franchisetropes, examples, trope, work, Just for Fun, Useful Notes, Mechanics of Writing, stub, workstub, ...

Since this isn't the first time we've had this sort of vandalism, I propose we set these permissions to Autoconfirmed users only:
  • move: Move pages
  • movefile: Move files
  • move-categorypages: Move category pages
  • move-rootuserpages: Move root user pages
  • move-subpages: Move pages with their subpages
  • reupload: Overwrite existing files
  • reupload-own: Overwrite existing files uploaded by oneself
  • reupload-shared: Override files on the shared media repository locally
  • upload: Upload files

Replies here, please.

EDIT: I've just made those changes on the freebie wiki, except for "upload". (The freebie wiki's all about the pictures and links - can't block those there.) Let's see whether they help mitigate - or block - the next drive-by vandalism of Miraheze.
Time to play "Do we have this trope?" Wikipedia calls it The captain goes down with the ship

I can't find it anywhere. Even Martyrdom Culture, which directly references the trope in its description, doesn't link to a page for it.
Time to dilute the "Kuma spews without thinking" category (formerly known as the Trope Workshop)...
And before we get surprised the next time this asshole decides to get his five minutes of jollies, what else should we protect that isn't?

EDIT: Did some research. Looks like we can use $wgNamespaceProtection to restrict entire namespaces by group. I'm guessing that since it appears to be a wiki configuration setting someone higher up at Miraheze will have to do it for us, though.
If you want to delete a remnant of a Flow style discussion page and the usual way of killing it doesn't work, use this:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:Ch...ntentModel

Change content model to wikitext, then delete the converted page.

Did this to clean up some of the vandalism remnants.

Note: This should enable deleting the page itself, but if you want the page RECORD (in the backend database) to die, contact the Miraheze guys for that, Flow has some funky tabling scheme that requires hosing it via the CLI only they can do.
(08-16-2020, 02:28 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Time to dilute the "Kuma spews without thinking" category (formerly known as the Trope Workshop)...

I see why you have so little patience for his writing. I didn't even get a third of the way through Alternate Realm Boon (the first of 12 proposed tropes, sorted alphabetically) before I gave up... and I'm sure I missed things i the section that I did cover.
<nod> Kuma's stuff is so painful for me to read that I just don't try any more. You have my utmost respect for putting on your waders and grabbing a shovel and sticking in...
Kuma's sentences, when diagrammed, are transformable, possessing of such nature, into Escher drawings.
(08-15-2020, 07:10 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-15-2020, 02:19 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]See all the vandalizm on the wiki? No? Good. I've already sent a thank-you to the sysop who caught and undid it.

Since this isn't the first time we've had this sort of vandalism, I propose we set these permissions to Autoconfirmed users only:
  • move: Move pages
  • movefile: Move files
  • move-categorypages: Move category pages
  • move-rootuserpages: Move root user pages
  • move-subpages: Move pages with their subpages
  • reupload: Overwrite existing files
  • reupload-own: Overwrite existing files uploaded by oneself
  • reupload-shared: Override files on the shared media repository locally
  • upload: Upload files

Replies here, please.

EDIT: I've just made those changes on the freebie wiki, except for "upload". (The freebie wiki's all about the pictures and links - can't block those there.) Let's see whether they help mitigate - or block - the next drive-by vandalism of Miraheze.

Well, nobody on the freebie wiki has complained (one non-admin even helped test the changes after I made a public request)... and somebody just made an account at ATT that has a userID that appears to be a random hexadecimal string. Call me paranoid if you want; I just made this change on ATT.
I missed the hexadecimal username, but I saw last night that you made those changes, and I heartily approved.
Saw a particular page, thought to myself "No, the person who co-wrote Hybrid Theory isn't a vampire hunter", checked Wikipedia to see whether there were other possible tropeworthy meanings, ended up creating a rather complex disambiguation page for "Blade".... and missed lunch. Sad
(08-21-2020, 07:24 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]I missed the hexadecimal username, but I saw last night that you made those changes, and I heartily approved.

That makes two of us.
Noticed something that made me wonder: Who used a novel-length password, to made it necessary to put a maximum size on them? And why is the maximum set to 4096 characters?

Rhetorical question; no need to answer. It Just Bugs Me, is all.
Last thread, I asked that somebody start a work page for Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Never mind... I stubbed one. Have at it...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12