Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Zoinks, I just spent TWELVE HOURS making a Champions character
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
despite the fact that the likelihood of my ever joining a Champions game asymptotically approaches zero, and a bunch of the powers crammed into the "Mentalist" VPP being pretty likely to catch a NIMGYD if I tried even though it's overall built exactly to the 400pts w/75pts complications HERO 6e superheroic standard. (The Champions Complete version of that, at least, which simplifies telepathy and skills a little.)

(This means of course that I completely failed at the original plan to make one according to the 125cp/-50cp Heroic standard, but I honestly don't see how you could make a caster-archetype on that basis, and I don't have Fantasy HERO or any core book except CC anyway.)

Maybe I'll write "Rule 63 SI" on the "campaign" line before I file it away? Certainly nothing could go wrong with that plan.

Not that there's that much unusual about her besides the various "Yeah, it's got a stop sign but it's so cool" powers, though I did do something a little weird for disposable "shadow clones" entirely unlike the nominal Duplication power in the system - slapped Size Increase and Desolidify together to stand in for a horde of normal-size bodies with one STUN or BODY each from what Size Increase adds and all sharing a mind, that pop as each one takes any damage until the last one left (with the character's normal STUN and BODY) is automatically "the real one."

I pretty much just wanted to gripe, but wouldn't mind talking about this or other people's characters more if anyone wants to. I considered putting this in The Legendary or OPF, but it's tabletop, not computerized, and not really fanfic either since there's no plot, setting, or even characterization beyond a couple of psych lims really, just a collection of powers with a vague blue-haired-space-hottie wrapper and a few standard-issekai-premise assumptions in the very minimal fluff.
Twelve hours??? WTF CD!!! How much of that was power selections and how much was costuming?
Probably none of it costuming, since it sounds like it's a tabletop Champions char.
No costuming whatsoever. I don't even have a basic concept, aside from "generic fantasy issekai clothes with at most light armor," and only that much detail because rPD/rED fluffed as Psychokinetic Defense is part of the normal powers, along with having raised her base PD/ED a couple points each. Very little change would need to be made to drop her into a similar-power-level modern or futuristic setting as is, basically just changing what local organisation she's a Member of and occasionally gets a mission request from, as Adventurer's Guilds are not that common outside of the D&D-by-way-of-MMO-ripoffs pseudo-medieval fantasy genre. And, of course, scaling a character up is always quicker than down to arrive somewhere between the existing builds.

Also, add another eight hours after sleeping on it and mercilessly cutting away a whole bunch of cool stuff to actually get a 125pt version who could, at least theoretically, grow to that 400-500pt Superheroic build with enough XP. Only having a 10pt VPP instead of 65pt does put a couple of things entirely out of reach, but the majority is surprisingly possible even at very low point totals when you're building on the assumption that 2d6 is a really big attack - equal to a greatsword, the biggest muscle powered melee weapon in the example table. 1m of Flight with 1m=1km Megascale won't do much except let you catch yourself from a fall in combat, but even at only Speed 3 it translates to 900kph noncombat, only costs 2pt, and it's also useful for getting things off the top shelf for a shortie like my girl here Tongue

Sadly, that does mean dropping Universal Translator, but I managed to squeeze a few points to put into a computer ("Galactic Smartpad") with that plus the Galactic Datanet Card perk, and Computer Access on top of that to be able to get at the Common Access Trans-Galactic Internet Reference Library System for use with the Cramming skill, then a "Cram a skill with CAT-GIRLS" Program, and a "Teach a Crammed skill" Program using the Instructor skill from the Hero Syystem Skills 6e. Also the GalaxyOffice productivity suite Program, a multimedia record/edit/playback Program using Clairsentience (Sight Group and Normal Hearing) and matching Images, and a Program for 3D modeling for simulation and printing to go with the Cosmetic Transform Power that handles both 2D and 3D physical output. 20pt for Universal Translator as a normal Perk is really kind of overpriced unless you're specifically in a game where you deal with lots of foreign travel or ancient writing, especially at the Heroic level where points are tight to begin with.

I'm actually more excited about the low-point build than irked about the time lost now, even if there's still not likely to be any chance to use her in a game.

edit: What Bob said, though that just means costuming happens on napkins and envelope sketches for the most part Wink
Q'n'D screenshot of a test export before I wander off to bed. Has already had one thing dropped and another added (Basic Strike for Perfect Pitch; there's half a dozen more maneuvers to Po Kyuu including the Strikes worth paying for, and PP will enhance non-combat-based livelihood. Being kinda slow, Aborting to Block and then following up with Counterstrike is likely to be pretty common anyway.) Note, several of the VPP items are things you aren't supposed to be able to put in a Framework, but they fit the theme so pfft. Also, it doesn't show the Notes that say what some of these (like the Detects) actually do. I talked about the Smartpad above, but the Ectoplasmic Construct "summon" gets most of its stats sold way down to afford a 60pt VPP w/Instant Change of its own for Multiform, so the single summonable type can turn into a 275pt whatever. Without transforming, it's an eight-inch Dragon Quest onion slime, with a Persuade check at 12- for scamming snacks and looking cute