Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Teasers from Drunkard's Walk 5: Holy, Holy, Holy... Cow!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just like with the Evangelion teasers, it's up to you to decide if this is treat or torture. If I don't do DW3 right after I've finished DW2, then I'll go right to this, as it has long-term implications for the rest of the Walk.
Once again, given the length of time until I'm likely to release this, it's possible that these scenes could disappear or change unrecognizably before you see them in their proper context.
Enjoy.
-- Bob
* * *Location Unknown, Date Unknown, Time UnknownAs I have so frequently mentioned in these chronicles, I amsubject to unconsciousness when I make a jump from universe touniverse. The jump out of Holland Township was no exception.This time was one of the more comfortable awakenings. Soft, warmbed -- a definite novelty where my arrivals were concerned. Idrifted for a little while between unconsciousness andconsciousness, enjoying the comfort. But I soon realized thatthere were people nearby, and that discovery prodded me from mygentle haze into full awakening.I opened my eyes to find that I was on a futon or mat in a roomthat looked vaguely 20th-century Japanese in style. I was alsothe center of attention for a small crowd. Three beautifulwomen, all apparently in their twenties -- two Euro, one Asian,with the Asian woman notably shorter than the other two. Onebarely-pubescent girl, Euro, cute. And a short Asian guy. TheEuros all had odd facial marks, maybe tattoos, and I wonderedbriefly what that might imply. The range of expressions directedat me would have been amusing had I not been the target -- anassortment that started with unabashed concern on the face of oneof the Euro women, through a devil-may-care grin on the other, tothe girl's intense and obvious suspicion. The Asian woman andguy both simply looked confused, with overtones of worry.I'm used to provoking a wide variety of reactions from people,but this was ridiculous. I mean, I'd been unconscious the entiretime I'd been here so far. I hadn't had the chance to doanything obnoxious yet..."" I croaked in English.One of the Euro women, a sweet-faced beauty with improbably-longhoney-blonde hair, leaned over me and brushed her fingertipsalong my forehead. The touch left a lingering tingle that wasstrangely pleasant. "" she replied with agentle smile. Her voice was as sweet as her looks; her bell-liketones were strangely familiar. "
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
You know, Bob, this brings up some VERRRRY interesting points...
Like how This three will react to another thread, that they didn't spin, showing up in the tapestry...
Like how it seemed like the scene with the Three from the BGC world wern't alone... it certainly seemed like there was more than one Triad participating in that conversation. And if that was the case...

Lets just say that I'll be looking forward to the answers to these questions and more, all in DW 5.... Holy, Holy, Holy COW!!!!!

"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
>"" drifted sweetly from the kitchen.
Megumi turned and stared at me with huge eyes.
"You taught Belldandy *Metallica* songs?" she whispered in
subdued outrage.
I chuckled. "Just be glad I decided not to teach her anything by
Ozzy Osbourne or Marilyn Manson."
"You are an *evil* man."'For Whom the Bell Tolls' would make a good combat song to use in one of the later steps of the walk. Especially if Doug ever runs into someone with time-based powers.
Blessed be.
-n
(If you don't get it, think about the song's title for a moment.)
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
> Like how This three will react to another thread, that they didn't spin, showing up in the tapestry...
Maybe something like this.
-- Bob
* * *Taking her leave of Megumi, Skuld dashed into the temple andsought out the telephone. As she had hoped, they'd put thestranger in Keiichi's room, which was as far away from the phoneas one could get and still be inside. Sparing a quick glancearound to make sure she was alone, she lifted the handset anddialed a long sequence of numbers that connected to no telephoneon the mortal plane.It was answered."Hi, Atropos, yeah, it's me. I think I might have a problemhere. I need to talk to Father."As Skuld stood hunched over the phone, her back to the templeentrance, she failed to notice Megumi enter. Megumi, for herpart, froze at the end of the hall when she heard Skuld ask forher father. The three sisters rarely spoke of their father, andwhen they did they were maddeningly vague, though it was clearthat they felt great warmth and love for him. This was the firsttime Megumi had stumbled upon one of the three actually speakingwith him, and her curiosity proved far stronger than her sense ofpropriety. She slid behind a shoji screen and listened."Hello, Father," Skuld said. "I... No, the Tether is just fine.It's just that I... No, Bell's okay, and Urd's... Urd's Urd.I... No, Keiichi's okay, too. I... Father! You *know* all thisalready, why are you asking..."A pause, then softer, almost contrite. "Yes, sir. I understand,Father."Another pause. "There's a... stranger here. He came throughsome kind of planar gate, Father! Essence all over! TheDisturbance was huge!"Skuld fumed through another brief silence. "That's what *I* wantto know! Is he a danger?""I'm sorry, Father, I didn't mean to shout at you. I'm justworried about Belldandy and... about Belldandy. What if he'ssome kind of exotic ploy by the Other Side?""What do you mean, I'll just have to find that out for myself?Father! Father, don't hang up on me! Fa... Oh, poo."Skuld hung up the receiver with unnecessary roughness and Megumislid silently back out of the hallway. The conversation hadn'tsounded quite like what Megumi'd been expecting, and she wantedto think about it. * * *
-- Bob
---------
Okay, something funky just happened with the formatting of that last post... sorry.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
> Okay, something funky just happened with the formatting of that last post... sorry
No need to apologize. This is new to all of us -- there are sure to be a few glitches here and there.
> 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' would make a good combat song to use in one of the
> later steps of the walk. Especially if Doug ever runs into someone with time-based powers.
I'll have to find a copy, as I really don't know that many Metallica songs.

-- Bob
---------
Heh. You sir, are rapidly approaching Gryphon's level ability to torment with teasers. Not to mention it solves one of the larger problems inherent in fanfiction... he's not so much trying to involve himself in THEIR affairs, as they are investigating HIM... at least at first anyway."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

NO QUARTER!!!
> he's not so much trying to involve himself in
> THEIR affairs, as they are investigating HIM... at least at first anyway.
Right. His first reaction upon discovering who they are -- as you can see -- is to run away, as fast as his little feets can carry him. Not the typical insert behavior, eh?

-- Bob
---------
nope, nope, nope. Definatly Nope.
"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

NO QUARTER!!!
Quote:
"" drifted sweetly from the kitchen.
Megumi turned and stared at me with huge eyes.
"You taught Belldandy *Metallica* songs?" she hispered in subdued outrage.
I chuckled. "Just be glad I decided not to teach her anything by Ozzy Osbourne or Marilyn Manson."
"You are an *evil* man."

Well, UF-Belldandy knows The Ramones 'I wanna be sedated', so maybe teaching this one Metallica songs isn't that evil, you could a least let her learn 'Paranoid' or pehaps certain U2 songs or worse Tina Arena/early-Kylie to countact it.
--Rod.H
Currently playing: The Ramones - 'I wanna be sedated'
> Well, UF-Belldandy knows The Ramones 'I wanna be sedated',
Yeah, well... I wrote that little passage some months before Gryphon released that episode of Symphony and I can honestly say that I was a bit upset that I didn't get my version out before he did. I may well strip that out simply because I don't want to be accused of copying Gryphon in that regard; it's not like it's actually vital to the plot.

-- Bob
---------
I wouldn't worry about it - it'll be a while before it's out, so the comparison won't be fresh in peoples' minds. Besides, I remember discussing it with you before that particular episode of SOS was released, so you've got at least one person here to back you up for a claim of parallel evolution.
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large

cpt kangarooski

"Devil in Disguise" by Elvis Presley
You look like an angel
Walk like an angel
Talk like an angel
But I got wise
You're the devil in disguise
Oh yes you are
The devil in disguise
You fooled me with your kisses
You cheated and you schemed
Heaven knows how you lied to me
You're not the way you seemed
You look like an angel
Walk like an angel
Talk like an angel
But I got wise
Oh yes you are
The devil in disguise
I thought that I was in heaven
But I was sure surprised
Heaven help me, I didn't see
The devil in your eyes
You look like an angel
Walk like an angel
Talk like an angel
But I got wise
Oh yes you are
The devil in disguise
Oh yes you are
The devil in disguise
Oh yes you are
The devil in disguise
LOL!
I haven't assigned a "theme song" for DW5 yet -- maybe that'll be it.
-- Bob
---------

Murmur the Fallen

Urd, in the manga, is actually Skuld and Belldandy's HALF sister, her father being a demon. She actually gets split at some point into two beings, evil urd and good urd, but they reintegrate, i guess. kind of like star trek.
Anyway, just putting it out there.
Oh, what I always thought was interesting about the Norns is this: they're present for every birth of a human child. That's either sweet or ominous.
I thought her mother was Hel and her father Kami-sama...
re: Sweet or ominous? Both, I think...
-- Bob
---------

Murmur the Fallen

Urd is the daughter of the Lord of Terror, and you can see her turn evil in Dark Horses' "Terrible Master Urd" trade

cpt kangarooski

Quote:
Oh, what I always thought was interesting about the Norns is this: they're present for every birth of a human child. That's either sweet or ominous.
Or really annoying. It's like being a doctor; you have to carry a beeper around, and it just never stops going off.
Skuld: "Can't you people give it a rest for once!"
I've moved this thread from "Future Steps" to this forum, as part of the creation of the DW5 area. There's nothing new here, though, despite the "new" flag on it.

-- Bob
---------
Urd is the daughter of Daimakaichou Hild. She's the *HEIR* of the Lord of Terror.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
You know, I thought I remembered something like that.
Aren't "Hild" and "Hel" cognates?

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Aren't "Hild" and "Hel" cognates?
I'm not completely sure of that. From I can work out it's possible that they both exist in the A!MS/OMG! universe as the myths say that Hel is responsible for
Helheim and is a half-goddess-half-giantess related to Fenrir & Jormungand and Hild isn't mention in the ones I can find.
Now if Hild is Hel that'd really mess up Urd's family tree as she'd be the granddaughter of Loki and the niece of Fenrir & Jormungand.
And so Fujishima intorduced Hild who is incharge of
Niflheim (we think) of which Helheim is a part of.
As to Hild's character traits I'm thinking that she's somewhat like Misaki Maskai Jurai but that's what I'm picking up from fansynops, I'll have to wait and see Dark Horse's treatment to see if I'm right. Hey for all I know they could have her be more like a Seto/Usagi/Urd mix.
--Rod.H
"Gee, I wonder where Urd's page in 'the Big Book of Monsters' went?" "Let me at him!"
The source I usually turn to states that Hel rules Niflheim, world of the dishonored dead (and interestingly very close to Niflhel - the world of the damned, which can be entered only with the permission of the Norns, and prison of Loki). How this fits into the OMG continuity however is unknown.
(Although I do have a fun fragment of an idea for a fic where the OMG takes place after the events of a book called Sleipnir by Linda Evans (good book, I recommend it) and Belldandy and her sisters have been reincarnated/reformated by being born as the daughters of the central character and a valkyrie - Urd's parentage may be a little more esoterc, I never really developed the idea).
Hild, I don't know about in lore terms but as protrayed in fanfiction she's usually a bit like Luxwana Troi towards Urd and a total bitch towards everyone else. She's totally immune to nice-fu.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
I've seen Sleipnir around, but never got a copy. On the subject of fun Norse-related books, (although this is more strictly the Germanic versions), check out Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt. Very good, very funny.

-- Bob
---------
...and for an interesting semi-science-fiction take on the Norse version, check out ,Song of the Dwarves and Revenge of the Valkyrie by Thorarinn Gunnarson (I believe he wrote more in this series, but only the first two have been published in English). Starts out as a retelling of the better-known myths, then segues into a heavily altered version of the Ring cycle (altered because, of course, this is Norse rather than Germanic).
--Sam Ashley
"So the junta has become the hunted!"
Pages: 1 2