Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Okay, things to remember for DW5.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
DW5 is happening in my OMB universe. There are some very important things people should know. I don't establish this in OMB because I didn't need to, but you people are nitpicky enough that I feel I should.

1) For the 376428747th time, OMB is based off the OAVs, NOT the manga. I steal bits from the manga, but not everything. The Lord of Terror arc WILL NOT HAPPEN. So if I haven't mentioned it yet in OMB, I'm not going to use it yet or (just as likely) I haven't seen it yet.
(I'm WAY behind on my manga.)
2) Also please remember that the OMB celestial situation is much different from the OMG one. All the major religious pantheons exist. (The Judeo/Christian/Islamic one exists as presented in In Nomine.)
3) OMB Ch 11 is the last chapter, and ends in the Mara intro arc (based off the manga story). DW5 happens shortly after that.
4) Don't confuse the mythological familial relationships with current ones. For example, in Norse mythology the Norns are not Vanir, in OMB they are. In Norse mythology the Norns are not sisters to Thor, in OMB they are.
5) In Norse mythology Vanir and Aesir define race, in OMB they define role. The Norns are Vanir, Paradox is Aesir.
6) The mythology gives you a picture of what a deity/demon was ONCE, not like they are now. Example: Indra in Hindu mythos of Vedic times was a supreme god (and four armed and red). Of Brahamanic times, he was rather cowardly and deceitful. In OMB, he looks like a surfer with an attitude like Walker Texas Ranger.
7) I haven't seen these stories yet, but I think I've managed to fix this one. In the Norse mythos, Hild is one of the Valkyrie. In the manga, she's Hel. For ease of use I'm saying its her current use-name, like Belldandy vs Verthidandy.
These notes are subject to change based on the whims of me and Bob. Big Grin--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
What he said.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.

Jeanne Hedge

OMB?Jeanne

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

cpt kangarooski

Yeah, you know, like Omb Mani Padme Hum Wink
Oh, btw, Chris, Bob, have you read the Top 10 comic? It's got a good issue about gods, and stars some of the Norse pantheon. Good comic, and worth a look:
Quote:
Odin: (talking to the cops) Hold. Chastise not your warrior friend. Truly, my son Thunor [Thor] is a butt-hole, as you name him.
Thunor: Oh, thanks a ϐπφδing bunch, dad....
Odin: Still your oafish tongue, boy, or the goat-chariot shall not be thine for a twelvemonth!

Kokuten

I just.. obtained.. the graphic-novel compilation of a mess of Top 10 comics.. thems some GOOD stuff!
OMB, Jeanne, is Jpub's Oh My Brother universe, spun off the Ah! Megami-sama universe.
www.yggdrasil.org/omg[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
//(I'm WAY behind on my manga.)//
An easily remedied deficiency....there's one great stand-alone story I enjoyed in the manga. The one about a girl and K-1's grandfather.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Would you believe, ordnance11, that that is the only issue of the OMG comic book I ever bought, at a convention some years ago? The house with the motorcycle, right? I rediscovered that story in its proper context several years later and a couple years back when I found it in one of the collected volumes...

-- Bob
---------
Never heard of them, Cap'n... sounds funny, though.

-- Bob
---------
Top 10 is one of Alan Moore's oddball works and of such I'm only aware of 12 issues of which I've both (known to me) trades (HC & PB) and it's a place that if Doug finds it he'd be able to go to a number of universes. The background art is one of the draws with it's thinly disguised cameos.
And Hild is Hel...gee the paperwork she has to do just doubled. No wonder she wanted Urd back, she needs the extra help just to suppliment Mara's goferness.
--Rod.H
Yup, that one. Who knew Skuld's afraid of ghosts?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

cpt kangarooski

In addition to the two TPBs that collect the issues of Top 10, there was the Smax miniseries that just ended wherein Officers Singer and Smax take some leave to go to Smax's uncle's funeral, etc. It's pretty funny, but Moore really needs to learn more about nuclear fusion.
Anyway, Top 10 deals with the city of Neopolis -- a giant city built by captured Nazi super-scientists after the war, where all the world's superheros could live without endangering everyone else, more or less. Virtually everyone in the city has some kind of super power, or at least a magical object or power armor or is a robot or something. But relatively few of them are heroes, per se, instead they just go about their jobs -- unless they're superpowered homeless people. Top 10 is the police precinct that handles the city. Since interdimensional travel is known and readily available (it's like going to the airport) it turns out there are a whole slew of different Neopoli, and the police headquarters is actually in a different dimension (where the Roman Empire is still going strong -- and has a lot of classically-themed superheroes). There's not much in the way of saving the world -- instead we see the various officers just doing their job and busting some perps.
It'd be right up your alley, Bob. And probably be a clue to Doug as to what his world'll eventually be like as superpowers are expressed by more and more people.
But OTOH he could probably just buy a ticket for home straightaway, so it's not too dramatic.
Actually, I always thought Warriors' World would end up like Levram in Normalman...
Sounds like a fun series, indeed. Two trade paperbacks? I'll have to go check out my local megabookstores and see if they're carrying it.
(Edit: fixed markup)

-- Bob
---------

Kokuten

well it's got a naked girl with optical camo skin...
sounds like a winner to me!
[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
DOUG! If someone asks you if you're a god, you say 'YES'!!!!!!
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

-- Bob
---------
//Would you believe, ordnance11, that that is the only issue of the OMG comic book I ever bought, at a convention some years ago? The house with the motorcycle, right? I rediscovered that story in its proper context several years later and a couple years back when I found it in one of the collected volumes...//

....the "Titanic Theme" sung by Celine Deon would fit this story.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Yeah, it would, wouldn't it?

-- Bob
---------
I don't know how I should take that.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Chris, Ord11 and I are talking about a specific manga story, not DW5... The Celine Dion song is appropriate to its plot.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
5) In Norse mythology Vanir and Aesir define race, in OMB they define role. The Norns are Vanir, Paradox is Aesir.
Hmmm..sounds like the Aesir belongs to the combat division and the Norms belong to the Service and Support division.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Quote:
and the Norms belong to the Service and Support division.
No, the Norms sit at the end of the bar and drink large quantities of beer. They are, however, heartily greeted whenever they enter.

Someone making this mistake a few years ago inspired me to sketch out the outline of a short-short (which I never actually wrote) -- a crossover between O!MG and Cheers; the punchline was, of course, that Urd goes into the bar and everyone yells out, "Norn!"

-- Bob
---------
Bob - you have to write that up into something postable, just so I have the ultimate "here, read this and die" fanfic for a few people I know (remember where I grew up - 'Cheers' was an institution when I was a kid Smile)
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
I dunno, I was thinking of pitching that to Chris and seeing if we couldn't work it into DW5 somewhere...

-- Bob
---------
That would work too Smile
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large