Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Old School for Younger Readers!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Oh, good one, Rob.
I present, for your perusal, the granddaddy of Potter crackfic: The Naked Quiddich Match!

This was the fic that was actually my introduction to the world of fanfic, and while it's not the original site, it's still one of the funniest things I've ever read. 

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3689325/1/T...itch-Match
OK, a few...
Some of the best of the last page or two in my FFNet favorites list....

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/1792282/1/Upon-A-Fiery-Steed Upon A Fiery Steed by Vathara (SG-1 x Gundam Wing)

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/660155/1/The-...f-Megaroad "The Legend of Megaroad" by Newtype Alpha, chronicling the adventures of Misa and Ichijo (Lisa and Rick for you Robotech heretics out there) aboard the Megaroad colony ship (aka SDF-2). Got well into a second volume before appearing to suffer Author Existence Failure. Sad

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/2857962/1/Bro...Green-Eyes BrownCoat, Green Eyes - Harry Potter wakes up several centuries in the future and flies with Mal, Zoe, and the rest of the Serenity crew. Because Magic finds a way.

Does anyone have a copy of Comes the Cold Dragon, or know what happened to Don Granberry?
... dang, I was hoping I might, but it looks like my stash of old fanfic got lost sometime in the rapid hardware shuffle of the last 15ish years. I know I still have an old PCMCIA Type I card I used to use with my PDA that had a bunch of stuff sorted by how much I liked it from back when FFn story numbers were only six or seven digits, but I can't physically find it (and don't have a card reader for it any more even if I did) nor a copy on my now-not-so-large-seeming 2Tb external HDD mass-storage drives.
(03-25-2021, 11:29 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone have a copy of Comes the Cold Dragon, or know what happened to Don Granberry?

Comes the Cold Dragon: http://www.iamnota.net/ff:comes%20the%20cold%20dragon
(03-25-2021, 11:29 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone have a copy of Comes the Cold Dragon, or know what happened to Don Granberry?

I have a copy of Cold Dragon, I could put it up on my website over the weekend (assuming I have time and remember to).

I actually have a fair collection of stuff posted on the FFML from the mid/late 90s through the mid 2000s, so if there are other things no one can find, I can see if I have them and if so put them up as well.

Quote:Comes the Cold Dragon: http://www.iamnota.net/ff:comes%20the%20cold%20dragon

Ah. That's what happens when I don't read the entire thread before I reply.
Here's one which came up in an online discussion which also led to me reviving this thread and making it sticky:

A Wasted Wish -- Ranma is given a wish and uses it to learn more about his mother -- and the grandmother he never knew. The next thing he knows, he's twenty years in the past and facing a rebellious little red-headed fireball named Nodoka...
Ah, fun!

I saw Dance of Shiva brought up earlier in the thread. I'm not sure if the .zip file included the prequels, but if not, Symphony of the Planets and Sailor Moon Z are influential old-school Sailor Moon fics in their own right.

Also by the same author (heck, you could probably lump just about everything Biles ever wrote into that category) is Children of an Elder God, one of the earliest and most influential Evangelion AUs/fusions.

Other stories...Staying on Evangelion--I'm really not a fan of it, but The One I Love Is is THE old-school Eva romance. Higher Learning is one of the most prominent early Eva fix-fics, and you really can't talk about comedy in that fandom without mentioning Nobody Dies

For old-school dark Ranma (and later Sailor Moon) The Shadow Chronicles certainly deserve a mention.

For Sailor Moon, the definitive post-Crystal Tokyo fic would have to be Sailor Moon 4200, and for overall influence, Ken Wolfe's sequence (The Four Horsemen, Frozen Time, Kiss of the Enemy, Under a Cloud, and Secrets) shouldn't be forgotten. Also What Evil Lurks, perhaps original Evil Mercury story.
Much as I hate to bring him up, some of Skysaber/Perfect Lionheart/"Whatever He's Going By Now"'s work is sufficiently old-school. I do remember a 1st or 2nd edition D&D Multiclass cheese character that starts in Sailor Moon, where his SI find the "Spells 'r' Us" shop being staffed by a Python-esque temp that leads to him having "magic paper." To disarm the transformative trap, he writes down this character sheet from "memory" talking up how incredibly lucky the character had been in play against a killer-but-fair DM.

As usual for Skysaber, he starts strong then devolves into what is now standard isekai harem shenanigans... and multi-cross.

But for the life of me I cannot remember the title....

EDIT: Otaku 4: Skysaber's Choice, still up on The Pit of Voles: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6397465
Some of early stuff was a fun romp. Mostly because he usually had co-writers who could balance out the crazy a little.
I always liked his Otaku Three: EVA Revolution for the way Skysaber went about annihilating the nihilism of Neon Genesis Evangelion. As always, it breaks down at the end as he starts cramming too much stuff in and there are the inevitable author tracts and lectures before he just gives up and leaves it hanging, but there's a lot of major fun along the way.
for an older Sailor moon Fic/series, there was Dark Kingdom Renegades.
You can find all of the DKR stories right here at the top of Mark Latus' SME archive page.
As for SM/Ranma, I will again rec Finishing What You Start, linked previously, and perhaps A Boy in the Hand if 2007-2010 isn't too new to count.
I'll second A Boy in the Hand -- another one I'd like to see finished.
One story that I wish would have been finished is Objective Reflex Point. It was one of the first Robotech stories I ran across.
Hmm, I don't know if I'd recommend it exactly, as a round robin quality could vary wildly and it's been so long since I read it I can barely remember more than the occasional snippet, but how about Magical Troubleshooting Crossover Fighting Federation ULTRA? A WWE style fighting federation started by God Herself, Kasumi Tendo, featuring everyone from Dan Hibiki to Lina Inverse. It had a prequel MTCFF Beta, which is how Kasumi became God, but that seem to be unavailable.

http://mtcffultra.com/
So I just read the replacement Ranma's, and I was grinning the entire time. Thanks for letting me know about it!
In rereading this thread, I note that several times a fic where a mentally-ill Akane kills Ranma is mentioned, and danced around, but never identified.

That fic is James "Zen" Bateman's The Bitter End. The All The Tropes page for it has links to copies in five different locations.
(10-22-2022, 07:44 PM)azunth Wrote: [ -> ]So I just read the replacement Ranma's, and I was grinning the entire time.  Thanks for letting me know about it!

Happy to help. And thanks for taking the time to read one of the stories that I recommended.
When I say "BGC fanfic", you think "angst, combat, and cyberpunk", right?

Well, this is not that story. Hoo Boy, this is not that story.

Mega-Yonkers 2038 : The Story of Knight Foils
BUBBLE GUM CARDS
by Ryan Mathews
Okay, here's one I just dug up and reread for the first time in ten or twenty years: Jim Bader's A Tale of Two Wallets. Late 1990s-vintage Ranma-centric megacrossover (I identified nearly twenty different works, either as major parts or cameos, and I'm sure there are more that went right past me because I was unfamiliar with them and didn't recognize them). Worth a look. Sorta-kinda finished? The main story seems to conclude properly, but there's an incomplete epilogue/sequel tacked onto the end of it, which is unlikely to ever be finished as I seem to recall that Bader passed away some years ago.

Anyway, you can find it on MediaMiner here, or on Fanfiction.net here (link goes to chapter 2, because chapter 1 is actually a genealogy full of spoilers).
I recall that one (and a few of his other stories as well), and yes, he did pass away several years back.
Hmm. One decent one I can't remember the title of offhand, had Sailor Mercury swept into the Dungeon Keeper universe...as a Keeper. Had some interesting elements of her having to deal with the 'forces of good' in the DK setting, as well a links back to the Sailor Moon setting...including things like Jadeite ending up as her assistant.
Dungeon Keeper Ami. It was on the Addventure, and I seem to recall the writer kept going after that died, but can't remember where.
Pages: 1 2 3