Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Netflix's Cowboy Bebop releases photos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Gizmodo has a slideshow here.

Faye's not rocking yellow hot pants, and there's still no sign of Ed, but other than that, looks good.
Oh good! Ein is a Corgi and not a Husky! Guess there was enough of a backlash from the fans that they backpedalled so hard that they left skid marks.
Huh? I never heard anything about miscasting Ein... In fact I remember the digital cheers when the first photos of the corgi were released.

Meanwhile, it's been pointed out to me that Ed doesn't show up until episode 9 of the anime, and the ten episodes of the live series in the can are probably all pre-Ed story.
There was commentary about it right here, in a previous discussion thread. I remember because I posted my favorite meme pic about huskies in response.
My expectations are still rock bottom that Netflix won't mess this up, but they have a much easier job than Super Robot Wars T here, yet SRW T managed to integrate practically everything despite the massive changes being in a mecha game crossover that imposed a lot of limitations.

Just some highlights of how much they managed to do Cowboy Bebop justice in an SRW crossover with Cowboy Bebop: (all VAs mentioned are the Japanese ones)

1. Spike is playable in the Swordfish II, with Faye and Jet as support in some of his attacks. Jet's VA passed away, but managed to at least do Jet's lines before doing so.
2. Ein and Ed both get to show up and both prove integral to resolving key parts of the Expelled From Paradise and Martian Successor Nadesico plots using their hacker skills.
3. Spike and Captain Harlock get to team up (which is doubly awesome since Koichi Yamadera even voiced Harlock at one point, though the Harlock ingame is voiced by the now late Makio Inoue)
4. The fact bounty hunters are needed to supplement law enforcement is woven into the plot, with Cowboys like Spike being frequently hired before joining permanently later since many of the jobs they are on get weaved into the crossover. They even weave in that Bounty Hunter TV show at one point for a vital lead.
5. The game covers all of the Bebop plot save the final battle with Spike and Vicious. Spike is confirmed to have survived if you play the expansion pack, set three months later, as the main game ends as Spike plans to settle things for good.
6. Faye's past gets integrated in one of the DLC.

There is a lot more, but basically, SRW T made it work and did it justice, I just hope Netflix at least makes an effort to do the same.
My opinion of this is...

The road to despair is paved with good expectations.
(08-24-2021, 07:13 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Huh?  I never heard anything about miscasting Ein...  In fact I remember the digital cheers when the first photos of the corgi were released.

Meanwhile, it's been pointed out to me that Ed doesn't show up until episode 9 of the anime, and the ten episodes of the live series in the can are probably all pre-Ed story.

(08-24-2021, 10:21 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: [ -> ]There was commentary about it right here, in a previous discussion thread. I remember because I posted my favorite meme pic about huskies in response.

Relevant bits follow...

(04-07-2019, 02:52 AM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: [ -> ]Ein has been cast. As a Husky.

HOW DO YOU FUCK UP SO PERFECTLY?!

(04-07-2019, 04:54 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: [ -> ][Image: T9_idEgy0iN2FUSwrsZpjEU_sfR0XMXU59_MceEX...9cf83f9b8a]

(04-07-2019, 01:07 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: [ -> ].... I think there's still going to be backlash over this.  People are gonna want their Corgi, dagnabsit.  Ein is what made them popular as a breed outside of being Her Majesty's Favorite.

* Black Aeronaut politely doffs his cap in the direction of England - only the greatest respect for the Monarch that served as a mechanic in WWII.
That's weird. I don't remember that. I do remember the collective "d'awww" from the net at large when the pictures of the corgi were released just before the lockdown.
And now people are up in arms about Faye not being in yellow short-shorts.
To be fair to the fans, when the actress said... I forget what... they were quick to find a picture of her twerking in a costume not unlike Faye's, just purple instead of yellow.
Somethjng about it being uncomfortable and not able to stand up to the rigors of filming.
Eh, I can see that. Even dancing is not on the level of even a moderately action-based film for the amount of activity required, and the film is likely to be 10+ hours a day for weeks at a stretch as well, not a couple of hours on the dance floor interspersed with standing or sitting in a booth to chat (for whatever value of that is possible over the music.) Between not wanting to deal with it constantly riding up and needing a layer between her skin and whatever is currently being slid or rolled across and/or exploding, actual pants are not an unreasonable ask.

e: And this is a TV series, not a film, so make that three or four months instead of weeks.
(09-09-2021, 07:31 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: [ -> ]Eh, I can see that. Even dancing is not on the level of even a moderately action-based film for the amount of activity required, and the film is likely to be 10+ hours a day for weeks at a stretch as well, not a couple of hours on the dance floor interspersed with standing or sitting in a booth to chat (for whatever value of that is possible over the music.) Between not wanting to deal with it constantly riding up and needing a layer between her skin and whatever is currently being slid or rolled across and/or exploding, actual pants are not an unreasonable ask.

I fully agree. People are arguing that the existence of the clip in question and people cosplaying Anime!Faye costumes means she's lying and should wear the damn shorts, which... well, bullshit.

At least it has Tank!
That's some Uncanny Valley.
A real 1970's vibe in parts
Ooh, Corgi.
here's a side by side of the original and Netflix openings
And a new teaser (if you can call a 2:40 trailer a "teaser") which looks damned good.

And the real trailer is out:

We see Ein... but WTF is ED?
Ed didn't show up until like, halfway through the original run. Depending on how fast they are covering the old material and how much new material they include, Ed might show up near the end of the season, or maybe season 2.
Huh. Thought she and Ein showed up basicly together. >.<
(11-13-2021, 11:40 PM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: [ -> ]Huh. Thought she and Ein showed up basicly together. >.<

No, they left together. Ein showed up before Faye did.
Haven't watched myself, but the reviews of this range from not very good, to "it's a pretty okay Netflix show, if only they had a really exceptional anime of this instead.
" /presses right arrow button "Oh, there it is."
I'm surprised no one's bothered to make the expected articles for it.

I was one of those "high hopes at first" people but now the hype's worn off I'm expecting it to be... okay.
Ed's debut, the blackmail "joke" and "Welcome to the ouch".

At this point, I'm just waiting for the fourth Horseman.
Pages: 1 2