Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Who watches the watches....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If there's one thing that summarises the nightmare of the modern era, it's the smartwatch. Already,. notifications on my phone give me a range of pavlovian reactions ranging from 'Oh Fuck off' to 'Wait, someone actually knows I exist and Said Something to Me'

Anyway.

I've picked up a couple of 'old fashioned' stupid watches - just to give me a chance to escape from them.

The first is Soviet-era Racketa. Probably once belonged to a Soviet submariner -- the outer ring lets you track your watchstanding times. It's not water resistant -  I suppose, if you got water in your submarine, keeping good time would'nt be a problem you'd need to worry about for very long. Good in that you can patch it up -- I've replaced the crystal on it already.

[Image: RmThwcal.jpg]

Anyway. It has problems. Most of which relate to it being a relic of a fallen civilisation which has never been properly maintained. It's clearly dying slowly. (At least until I can put the guts into a decent solvent to clear the old oils out of it)

To complement it, (And so I can tell what time it is when I'm swimming) this just arrived from the Chistopol watch factory. A hundred quid - and I've fitted a new bezel to get a second time-zone on it, strap and anti-magnetic back to it. It'll go down to 200 meters and run for ten years, with an automatic winder. 

It's not a Rolex - but it's not exactly the typical 'cheap and awful' either. It's cheap and clever-  using good design and engineering to save money and achieve the same results as more expensive watches. Even if it struggles to be accurate to within 20 seconds a day..... it's reliable, but not precise. (It's also a completely in-house movement which is something watch nerds care about) . I've managed to tweak it to get it running within a second every 2 hours which isn't bad.

[Image: b11GC6hl.jpg]

Both of these irritate the watch-nerds I know.